Vandall Preludes 4 & 7

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Re: Vandall Preludes 4 & 7

Postby Chopinesque » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm

I like no. 4 - it's the first time I've heard these Preludes. I only came across Vandall last Christmas; I played the Fantasy on Jingle Bells Duet - it was fun.

Thank you.

Postby Didier » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Bruce,
I much prefer no. 4. no. 7 is too sweet: not safe for the teeth. I do not think that LvB would have endorsed it.:lol:
I did not find the Garritan sound so surreal: it seems to me rather close to what you get from mics inside the piano. There is even the noise from the dampers. (Unfortunately I'm encountering this noise even when recording from outside the piano.)

Bruce Siegel

Postby Bruce Siegel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks, guys. There's seems to be a consensus building for no.4. I really like that one, too.

Didier—it's funny you call #7 too sweet, because I think of it as pretty dark. Maybe you mean sweet as in simple, or simple-minded, or overly predictable?

I'm just grateful Vandall wrote it, because I've seen a number of students totally passionate about this one. I think it helps them to express some of their sadder, more intense feelings. But you have to remember that these are students in the early stages, so at that point, it feels like a real step forward for them.

Return to “Audition Room”