Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin - Impromptu, Nocturnes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:53 am 

Hello,

I would like to provide you some of my recordings.
I recorded on a digital piano (Yamaha portable grand DGX 630) and MIDI was the original format, so I converted to mp3 on this very useful site: http://www.hamienet.com.
To be honest in Nocturne op. 55 n° 1 and Fantaisie-impromptu op. 66 n° 4 I have cut the parts with errors using Audacity, while for Nocturne op. 9 n° 3 I have riduced the time speed of some parts (I use to play too fast) but all was played by me.

Then I'd like to post also an improvisation on the theme of "Over the rainbow" (I love Erroll Garner's style) and a part of English Suite 2 in a (that isn't complete, so probably you won't accept it).

In Nocturne op. 55 n° 2 there are some errors, I'm going to study it a second time: I post it only to have your opinion.

Thanks for your care,
Best regards.

Post subject: Re: Chopin - Impromptu, Nocturnes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Luca,

All these are well played, with confidence and technical ability. Although some of the flourishes in the Chopin Nocturne are a bit fumbled.

The improvisation seems nicely done to me, but maybe the improvisers here, or those who recorded arrangements of this song, may have something specific to say. Indeed we do not accept incomplete pieces like the truncated Bach prelude (well done btw, I am studying this one too, and have been for a long time, it's not easy). You make rather heavy weather of the middle section of the Chopin 55.1, and you play bars 52 and 56 in major key whereas they're notated in minor key (at least in the Paderewski Edition).

But there is a big problem here as far as I am concerned. The digital sound is truly unpleasant and off-putting in places (like at the end of the improvisation) and there's an unacceptable vibration throughout some of the Chopin Nocturnes. The 55.2 needs more work indeed, and your interpretation is labored and not wholly convincing. The Fantasie Impromptu sounds a bit better but it is rather wild and uncontrolled, and there are some bad cuts just before the end.

If you can bring more discipline and lyricism in your playing, and provide an acceptable sound, these will be good enough. You certainly have the talent but need to work on control and musicality.

Cutting out parts with mistakes is ok (I do it all the time, though I'm trying to quit :) ) but manipulating the tempo isn't. We consider that over the limit. I think this might be the cause of that awful vibration I hear in some places.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:36 pm 

Wow I can't believe I missed this post.

I liked you're version of over the rainbow. I also like to do this type of thing with standard jazz/popular songs. Its actually a very rewarding experience. Also my improvisations, if you can call them that, are very strongly based on the melody. I do this by either subtracting from the melody, adding little embellishments to the melody, creating phrases that answer the melody, or just play around a bit with nice harmonies or chord voicings. Also I thought your tempo, and phrasing was good. Also you're intro was good.

Of course the criticism I could give (if I can do such a thing) is that it is incomplete. That is you did not even go through the entire song once :) It would be nice to hear a few repetitions and see how you develop you're ideas further. Somehow I sometimes wish there was a place for people to exchange and discuss about these type of arrangements.

mediterraneo wrote:
Hello,

I would like to provide you some of my recordings.
I recorded on a digital piano (Yamaha portable grand DGX 630) and MIDI was the original format, so I converted to mp3 on this very useful site: http://www.hamienet.com.
To be honest in Nocturne op. 55 n° 1 and Fantaisie-impromptu op. 66 n° 4 I have cut the parts with errors using Audacity, while for Nocturne op. 9 n° 3 I have riduced the time speed of some parts (I use to play too fast) but all was played by me.

Then I'd like to post also an improvisation on the theme of "Over the rainbow" (I love Erroll Garner's style) and a part of English Suite 2 in a (that isn't complete, so probably you won't accept it).

In Nocturne op. 55 n° 2 there are some errors, I'm going to study it a second time: I post it only to have your opinion.

Thanks for your care,
Best regards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 pm 

I will only speak to the improvisation, as there are many more capable Chopin/Bach experts in this society than I am. To me, your rendition of Over The Rainbow is an arrangement, not an improvisation. Playing by ear does not constitute an improvisation in my book. The style doesn't bother me, but the sound does. There are a lot better digital piano sounds out there. I record in MIDI and then use the Garritan Authorized Steinway samples. They sound terrific. In your arrangement, you do some interesting things, but you also abandon some ideas, leaving some appoggiaturas and passing notes out in space unresolved. Also, there seems to be no bridge. There is a joke about that (too long for here). Anyway, you sound as if you are more interested in feedback than posting, so the sound is not crucial. I hope this qualifies for what you are looking for. Good luck.

Glenn Stallcop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm 

Yes it is indeed more of an arrangement. Mind you if you ask me at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you call it an arrangement or an improvisation. The only thing that matters I think is that you like it or don't :)

Actually there are a few Bill Evans recordings I like were he doesn't really have a full improvisation section, but only plays the melody a few times with some variation. I think its a common thing to do. Mind you that style is not everyone's cup of tea.

glenn wrote:
To me, your rendition of Over The Rainbow is an arrangement, not an improvisation.