Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - BWV 852 - Prelude and Fugue No.7 in E flat major
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Another re-recording in my second-round WTC project. I have pondered hard over this pair, the prelude one of the most divine things JSB ever wrote, the fugue one of the most bouncy and exciting of all Bach fugues. Listening back, the voicing could have been clearer yet in places - isn't it always so :roll: But otherwise this pair is quite ok - or so I hope. Even though the die-hard nitpickers may find the odd imperfection :lol:

Bach - BWV 852 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.7 in E flat major (6:31)

Post subject: Re: Bach - BWV 852 - Prelude and Fugue No.7 in E flat major
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 pm 

This is so beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:45 am 

Hi Chris,
first to the prelude: the tempo-relation between the choral-part and the beginning isn´t correct, the whole prelude should be played in the same tempo. I heard two hesitations because of unsureness (no artistical rubati :P ). This prelude contains a double fugue, which deserves the same thoughtful voicing as the fugue. :wink: This could be improved here. Otherwise is nicely played, there are some nice rubati respective there is a sensitive agogic in it.
to the fugue: good tempo, but some of the trills at the end are too imprecise (because your tempo is too high for your technique at these places). Of course, the voicing could be clearer here and there, but I don´t find it too bad overall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback !

musicusblau wrote:
first to the prelude: the tempo-relation between the choral-part and the beginning isn´t correct

I don't agree with that. As far as I can hear (but that is without a metronome) the choral has exactly same pulse as the beginning.

musicusblau wrote:
I heard two hesitations because of unsureness (no artistical rubati :P ).

Not so ! Never for a moment am I unsure in this prelude. I take some liberties with the tempo but that is all intentional.

musicusblau wrote:
This prelude contains a double fugue, which deserves the same thoughtful voicing as the fugue. :wink: This could be improved here.

Indeed, in a few places the voicing is insufficient, I noticed that also.

musicusblau wrote:
to the fugue: good tempo, but some of the trills at the end are too imprecise (because your tempo is too high for your technique at these places). Of course, the voicing could be clearer here and there, but I don´t find it too bad overall.

True about the trills (especially the last) and the voicing. There are some tricky moments here. Maybe I'll redo this pair yet - there's a tempo drop due to a cut that irritates me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:33 pm 

Hi Chris,

Been away for a while, but I thought I'd pop in and give my, I know, rather opinionated thoughts :wink:

Overall, your rendition of this P&F sounds much better prepared and more solidly executed to my ears than some of your earlier ones, especially the prelude. Good clear voicing in particular. The fugue could perhaps profit from some more practice, but, as you might say, it is one tricky bastard of a piece (IMO one of the more difficult in Book I). Some specific thoughts/suggestions:

Prelude: I rather like your relation between the fugal chorale section and the intro. It does sounds exactly in time to me. Personally, I would probably play it faster by comparison, which may be permissible given Bach's ubiquitous lack of tempo direction, but perhaps yours is the most proper way. Nice clear scale passage to end the intro, though the culminating trill sounds uneven to me. I like very much your voicing throughout. Some rather strange-sounding hesitations (to my ears, though this may be intentional, as you say), and the left hand sounds a bit flabby and unsure in just a couple of places (a few dropped, unclear notes). Overall, though, nice rhythmic pulse. Nice allargando effect to end.

Fugue: I like your opening gesture, which sounds very clear and direct. The tempo may be just a bit fast, which results in a bit of sagging later on. My principal concern, though, would be too much pedal use, which tends to make the sound sodden and unclear. Also, I'd say the trills, particularly those in the left hand on the second page, need a bit more work (I had a devil of a time with those myself).

Nice job overall, though, and keep up the good work as you venture on with your WTC re-recording project!

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that Joe. Yes my re-recordings are a lot better than my first ones (which are generally slipshod to put it mildly) but can still be improved in places. I am beginning to wonder whether one can actually play this music perfectly.... There's always some thing or another that is not optimal.
Ah well. I'll be like a great artist and keep re-recording it D:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:16 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Not so ! Never for a moment am I unsure in this prelude. I take some liberties with the tempo but that is all intentional.

It just seemed to me like that, sorry, whereas at all the other places your agogic seems very convincing and well sensed. I believe you, of course, that you feel absolutely familiar with that piece.

I will listen to your re-recordings in the other thread as soon as possible. I have very much work this week, but I will try to find a silent hour a.s.a.p.
I even couldn´t begin to work on e-flat-minor of WTCII at this time because of too much work :( , but I think, at the weekend I can start :D .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
It just seemed to me like that, sorry, whereas at all the other places your agogic seems very convincing and well sensed. I believe you, of course, that you feel absolutely familiar with that piece.

Even so, it should not give the impression of hesitating. So I've gone easy on the ritenuti in the re-recording.

musicusblau wrote:
I will listen to your re-recordings in the other thread as soon as possible. I have very much work this week, but I will try to find a silent hour a.s.a.p. I even couldn´t begin to work on e-flat-minor of WTCII at this time because of too much work :( , but I think, at the weekend I can start :D .

Again, don't feel obliged to evaluate everything I submit... You are busy enough without having to do that as well.