Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Brahms Op.76
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:42 pm 

These are the set of Intermezzos and Capriccios by Brahms.

Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 1: Capriccio (3:12)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 2: Capriccio (2:31)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 3: Intermezzo (2:22)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 4: Intermezzo (1:43)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 5: Capriccio (2:52)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 6: Intermezzo (3:43)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 7: Intermezzo (2:47)
Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 8: Capriccio (3:48)

Post subject: Re: Brahms Op.76
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

I have not heard all of these, but from what I heard, it sounds like thoughtful and idiomatic Brahms playing, of the exemplary quality we except from you.
Maybe someone finds something to nitpick, but I think these are fine, a great addition to PS as well as a worthy addition to your short but impressive discography.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 am 

Thank you for the upload and for the supportive comments :D The way Brahms avoids the tonic throughout many of the pieces, and the polyphonic nature of some of the pieces make this set something altogether very special.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:25 am 

Hi Sarara,

I haven't had much time lately to sample recordings, but so far I did listen to the four Intermezzi within Op. 76. Brahms' soul resides in his intermezzi. You played them all very beautifully in my opinion. I've played Nos. 6 and 7 there, but listening to your fine performances now makes me want to revisit Op. 76 someday. Excellent!

David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:38 pm 

Hi David,

Thank you for your supportive comments! The Intermezzos are really heart-wrenching pieces-- my favorite though is the last piece in the op.76. After all the previous seven pieces, playing this C Major piece always brought me such a feeling of relief and a kind of joy.
Thank you for listening to them!

Sarara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:04 pm 

Hi, Sarara!

First of all, I'd like to say I listen to your recording of Schumann's Sonata Op. 14 very often when I am at work. I like it very much!

I haven't listened to any recording in the audition room lately, but as I'm learning this set as well, I made an exception for it. hehe
What first caught my ears was the version of the Capriccio no. 2! Which version are you playing? Is there more than one version? I never heard a version like this before. There are lots of measures missing.

All of the pieces are well played with your usual smooth touch. I have only some points to comment.

no. 1 - It could start more pianissimo, and it could be a little bit faster, while the lyrical section could be calmer. Around 1', I wish the bass was more prominent.

no. 3 - in the middle section, your playing becomes very impassioned. it's acceptable as a contrasting feature, but in the score it's marked 'dolce', so I tend to prefer it much smoother.

no. 4 - I play it half the speed. but since the score is marked "allegretto grazioso", and there are some recordings (like Dinorah Varsi's) at this speed, I can't say much. hehe

no. 5 - this one is so fun, isn't it? Brahms took drugs when he wrote it! hehe
well played! there is only a smooth dislocation of rhythm around 0'15, or is this due to the rubato?

no. 6 - I tend to dislike the rubato here. it makes the piece less 'bewegt' (moving) than I think it should be, as marked in the score. there are also lots of 'welchnote' (sorry, I don't know how to write it... it means: notes which are held and invade another harmonic area, where they are strange to. there are lots of these in the bass). these notes become not clear with the rubato.

no. 8 - well played. I wish it could be a little faster. you're right! this piece is very happy and joyful!
from this whole set, I prefer the capriccios to the intermezzi. they are so fun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 pm 

Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your post! I'm happy that you like the Schumann sonata, and thank you for the detailed comments on the Brahms op.76. So far, you've been the only one to mention on the Piano Society about the second cappricio of this set--- no, you're right, it's missing quite a number of bars, and I certainly did not play it so intentionally... it's a live recording from a concert, and I skipped a page by accident. Sorry for the inaccuracy of this performance!
I agree with you about starting with more of a pianissimo in the beginning of No.1, and as for the rubato issues, thank you for pointing them out. It's something to think about, when I work on this set again sometime in the future.
Enjoy learning these great pieces!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:04 pm 

Sarara721 wrote:
no, you're right, it's missing quite a number of bars, and I certainly did not play it so intentionally... it's a live recording from a concert, and I skipped a page by accident.

that's funny!

the good point is that it doesn't sound like you've skipped a page! it sounds like it was written that way! hehe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:59 am 

Really nice playing, Sarara! I listened especially to Nos. 6 & 7, my favorites in that group.

One question about no. 7. In the last measure on my first page—it's the measure before the 3/2 measure—you wait for a bit before playing the low F# octave. And you then drag out the end of the measure before starting the next. For my taste, it's a bit of an awkward pause, the energy seems to dissipate.

I notice also that you tend to stress the urgency in this piece (also in no.6) whereas I like to emphasize the quiet tenderness. (But hey, I'm just a quiet, tender guy.) :)

No question, though—you play with command and a lovely expressive flow.

Thanks for inspiring me to play these pieces again!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:04 pm 

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to listen to these pieces from op.76! And sorry it has taken me a long time to respond!
A sense of urgency was partly what I had intended for the 6th piece (the A section) because I wanted to create a contrast of mood with the B section, which I regarded as a reflective and contemplative moment between the two slightly urgent sections, emphasized with the hemiolas. At least, that was my interpretation at the time, but I may come up with another argument now :D
Thanks again!

Sarara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 pm 

Hello again,

What a treat! These are fantastic! Especially there are occiasional moments that are exceptionally well handled and make me smile :) . Thoroughly enjoyable, and so wonderful for a live performance! Was this the same concert featuring the Barber? I wish I'd attended! Great job!!

Thanks!
John

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnClementAnderson
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/johnclementanderson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:17 pm 

Hi Sarara,

Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 1: Capriccio (3:12)
very extroverted playing with thorougly intense execution of the melodic line. very self assured playing

Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 2: Capriccio (2:31)
a lot of spirit, perhaps could use more shading in terms of the dynamics
excellent continuity in the melodic line

Brahms - Klavierstucke Op.76 - 6: Intermezzo (3:43)
beauitul timing perhaps a bit more nuance in color for repeated notes
gorgeous melody in middle section, nice balance between the hands,
again, a wonderful continuous melodic statement that creates an interesting listening experience

Thanks for sharing,
Kaila

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 am 

Listened to all of them and really enjoyed, nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 pm 

Hi John,
Thanks again for listening! I played both Brahms and Barber in my exam at the conservatory. I learned from that experience that performing Barber during summer in an unairconditioned hall can make it all the more challenging!
Sarara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm 

Hello Kaila,

Thank you for listening and for your kind comments!

Sarara