Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Franz-Josef Streuff (*1931): Six Late Intermezzi (romantic)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:25 pm 

Chris Breemer (=techneut) and Andreas Pfaul (=musicusblau), we present you the Six Late Intermezzi, composed by Franz-Josef Streuff. He is born in 1931, a member of this site (nickname "francois_streff") and my former teacher and friend. Chris and me, we devided the 6 pieces into two parts, Chris has recorded the first three, number I to III, and me, I have recorded number IV to VI. The Late Intermezzi by Franz are in late romantic style as he described them himself, they are written in the 1990th.
I dedicate my recordings to my former teacher and friend with many thanks. I also thank my friend Chris very much for this collaboration work, which means much to me!
You also can listen to other of compositions by Franz-Josef Streuff here:
http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=2071 and on my YouTube-channel (Serenade of Farewell and Late Intermezzi)

Here are the video links (only number IV-VI):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRlYA6meig (Franz-Josef Streuff, Spätes Intermezzo IV)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pafCTG132M (Franz-Josef Streuff, Spätes Intermezzo V)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvi_0cFD3DI (Franz-Josef Streuff, Spätes Intermezzo VI)

Below you can listen to the complete set performed by Chris and me, IV - VI are exactly the audio-tracks from the videos above.

Streuff - Six Late Intermezzi - 1: Semplice (2:26)
Streuff - Six Late Intermezzi - 2: Andante (3:41)
Streuff - Six Late Intermezzi - 3: Adagio con moto- quasi Allegro (5:12)
Streuff - Six Late Intermezzi - 4: Un poco energico (2:59)
Streuff - Six Late Intermezzi - 5: Allegretto giocoso (2:31)
Streuff - Six Late Intermezzi - 6: Moderato (3:18)

Post subject: Re: Franz-Josef Streuff (*1931): Six Late Intermezzi (romantic)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:17 am 

Hi Andreas and Chris,

I just listened to the whole set of these intermezzi. What a great idea for each of you to play half of them, and your playing was wonderful indeed. These character pieces are charming and delightful, well crafted, and contrasting as well. I believe that it's a very nice tribute to Mr. Streuff, the composer, to hear others playing his fine music here at Piano Society.

David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 am 
Site Admin

Thanks David. Yes these are good and wholesome pieces that grow on you while playing. Indeed the composer was happy with this set.
I can't remember how it came about that we would each do half of them. But being a completist, is does nag me a bit that I have not recorded all six.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 am 

Thank you for your kind comment, David! :D Seems to be the first :D and the only one after a quite long time no one (except Monica on YouTube) has commented on these pieces. :(
I think, one nice day, Chris and me, we will complete also each the other half. We already have spoken about that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:16 pm 

Hi Andreas and Chris

Yes, I believe there is much to commend these pieces, as well as the fine performances here. I know it takes awhile for new, unfamiliar music to take hold. But I hope that others here at Piano Society will stop by this post and listen to some of these works.

David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 am 

Fantastic set! The greatest praise for the memory of a teacher is the dissemination of their music and word. Well played with great musical fascination. Chris, the piano restoration sounds wonderful! Great tone and timbral balance throughout the gamut. I hope you're pleased? Andreas, did you change mics? The piano sounds slightly different. Maybe I've been away too long?... However, I like it - sounds more omni than cardiod to my ears. Great collaboration guys!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:04 pm 

88man wrote:
Quote:
The greatest praise for the memory of a teacher is the dissemination of their music and word.

Yes, right, and Franz told me, that he is satisfied with our interpretations and he thanks us a lot. (He has not commented until now only because of technical problems. May be I can help him, when I visit him next time.)

Quote:
Well played with great musical fascination.

Thank you! :D

Quote:
Chris, the piano restoration sounds wonderful! Great tone and timbral balance throughout the gamut.

I also like the new sound of Chris´restored Gaveau.

Quote:
Andreas, did you change mics? The piano sounds slightly different. Maybe I've been away too long?... However, I like it - sounds more omni than cardiod to my ears.

No, I haven´t change my mics. In this moment I have no money to buy omnidirectional capsules. These recordings are made with my Neumann KM 184, which are cardiod. I also didn´t change my recording settings. Thank you for your interest. I always appreciate the interest respective opinion of those who are competent concerning professional recording technique like you are as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
Chris, the piano restoration sounds wonderful! Great tone and timbral balance throughout the gamut. I hope you're pleased?

Thanks George ! Yes I am very happy with the result, and actually more happy because you and others, who have a more acute ear for sound, hear so much improvement. It also plays smoother because of the tuning of the action. It was lot of money but it seems to be well spent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 pm 

Delightful pieces, well played and presented. Not quite what I had expected either: the music has a pleasantly unpretentious charm and innocence. Well worth listening to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm 

Andrew wrote:
Quote:
Delightful pieces, well played and presented. Not quite what I had expected either: the music has a pleasantly unpretentious charm and innocence. Well worth listening to.

Thank you for your interest and your kind comment, Andrew. I´m very delighted you like the pieces.