New pianist submission: Rachmaninoff - Moments Musicaux No 5

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

New pianist submission: Rachmaninoff - Moments Musicaux No 5

Postby FrederickJ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 am

Hello -
I would like to be considered as a pianist with the Piano Society. Here is my 5th submission, a recording I made (this week) of Sergei Rachmaninoff's 6 Moments musicaux, Op.16 - No. 5 in D flat, Adagio sostenuto in MP3 format at 192 kbps. The piano is the Garritan Steinway Model D "Classic" mode and it was played via an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88.

Frederick Johnson

Rachmaninov - Moments Musicaux op.16, no. 5 in D-flat Major
Frederick Johnson

“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” ~Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

My website:

Re: New pianist submission: Rachmaninoff - Moments Musicaux No 5

Postby Rachfan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:55 am

Hi Frederick,

I've also recorded this fine barcarolle of Rachmaninoff (although not on this website), so know it well. Overall I think your playing is very thoughtful and poetic. If I were asked to make a suggestion, it would probably be to let the piece breathe a little more. At the moment the rendition, although not overly metronomic, is somewhat tight as it plays out. Still, it's a very engaging recording in my opinion, and the dynamic shadings in particular are handled ever so well.

"Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities." David April

Return to “Audition Room”