Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New pianist: Chopin, Mozart, Haydn, Mendelssohn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm 

Hi!

Biography: Quintus Skrjablin was born in 1980. He studied with several prominent teachers--let none be mentioned and none forgotten. Then he took a break from music. Now he's back with the aim to conquer the internet by posting good recordings of classical music.

A picture of myself:
Attachment:
102px-Lyubov_Popova_-_The_Pianist.jpg
102px-Lyubov_Popova_-_The_Pianist.jpg [ 6.21 KiB | Viewed 2316 times ]

Post subject: Re: New pianist: Chopin, Mozart, Haydn, Mendelssohn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Quintus and welcome to Piano Society.

Prospective members will be evaluated by the administrators and other members before being asked for a bio and photo. And we do like more than one piece to be submitted so we can get a better understanding of a person's playing - make sure they're not a 'one-hit-wonder' and stuff like that. You actually submitted more than what's necessary but I don't like when someone puts up so much because I don't have the time to process everything. But even so, I sampled two of your files here and you play very well; however the sound quality is poor. It's way too soft! I had to turn up my speakers all the way and still had trouble hearing the music. Sorry, but I think you should adjust the volume levels.

So please take some of these files, adjust the volume, and then put them back up here (not all of them, please). Maybe you can also take out some of the background noise(?). And we'd like to get to know you a little more, so we'll ask you for your bio and photo later. And when we do ask you, do not put up this silly image. That simply will not do. :roll: We require an actual photo of you!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 am 

I would like to remain under pseudonym. I can tell you my real name and so, but I don't want my real name and photo on the page, but the Quintus Skrjablin pseudonym and picture as I've suggested. What do you think about that?

You don't want all my recordings? OK, here are those three which you have no recordings of on the site since before. I've tried to adjust up the volume level, although I'm a newb at sound editing.

Attachment:
Haydn Sonata 57 in F Major Hob xvi47 1 Moderato higher volume.mp3
Attachment:
Haydn Sonata 57 in F Major Hob xvi47 2 Larghetto 3 Allegro higher volume.mp3
Attachment:
Chopin Polonaise in A flat Major Opus Posthume higher volume.mp3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, we want your real name, and real photo. This idea to use a pseudonym and image is just too weird. We've never allowed that with any other member. And actually it makes me suspicious of you! Are you really from Scandinavia? When was this recording made? Are you really the one playing here? How would we know that? What is your real name? And what is that nonsense about 'conquering the internet'? :roll: :!:

Now, as to these three recordings - I listened briefly to two of them, and they are still too soft. What is your recording setup? Where did you place the mics? What kind of piano is it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:41 pm 

Quote:
Sorry, we want your real name, and real photo. This idea to use a pseudonym and image is just too weird. We've never allowed that with any other member. And actually it makes me suspicious of you!
Sorry, but I just really want to let the recordings speak for themselves, so to speak. Let me say so much that I don't think I have only friends from back when I was partaking in music education and such. Of course it's up to you to decide on this issue.
Quote:
Are you really from Scandinavia?
Yes.
Quote:
When was this recording made?
These were made during the last couple of months. I put them up at my youtube page at first.
Quote:
Are you really the one playing here?
Yes.
Quote:
How would we know that?
I can reproduce similar sound live, given a piano. Of course we would have to arrange a meeting then, and I would have to show my face to you, which I have nothing against.
Quote:
What is your real name?
Martin Nilsson. I just wouldn't like to be published by that name.
Quote:
And what is that nonsense about 'conquering the internet'? :roll: :!:
A figure of speech.... :oops:
Quote:
Now, as to these three recordings - I listened briefly to two of them, and they are still too soft.
I tried raising the volume further in Audacity, and they came out sounding horribly. Sorry.
Quote:
What is your recording setup?
A linux computer and an external mic. Actually I think I have localized the problem to the invoice-volume-control panel or what you would call it. I will experiment with that if I'm going to do further recordings.
Quote:
Where did you place the mics?
About a meter away from the piano.
Quote:
What kind of piano is it?
A small Yamaha grand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, Martin, you've answered all of my questions. :) But in order for you to become a member on PS, two things have to happen: 1. You try to produce recordings with better sound quality. 2. You submit your real name, biography, and photo. Like I said, we've never allowed members to do otherwise, and I don't want to start something and then regret it later. You are a good pianist so I hope you will reconsider these issues.

btw - while I'm thinking about it - maybe your mic is the problem? So you know, I hear other sounds outside of the piano louder than I hear the piano. I'm not sure what causes that, though. You probably should do some experimenting with recording. Since these recordings are relatively new, then the notes should still be somewhat in your fingers, right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I listened to the Chopin polonaise and one of the Haydn movements, and some snippets or the original postings, but these are really too low-level to properly hear.

All this is capably and cleanly played, I give you that. You don't put a foot wrong. But oh my, is it boring to listen to... There is absolutely no expression, rubato, or dynamics. Everything trundles along metronomically without the slightest hint of involvement. What a shame ! You can play all the notes so well... now please try to grasp the music underneath the notes. I hope this does not sound too negative, but I see no other way to put it. Being able to play all the notes right is really just the beginning.

I don't like that incognito attitude either. PS is a comunity where people like to know each other. Also, you're not going to conquer the internet being a mystery pianist. Unless you are very, very special maybe...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:45 am 

I will reconsider all this when I'm visiting my parents house again, in a month or so, since that's where my piano is; I have no piano where I am now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:32 pm 

So I have decided to come out with a photo and a name, because I really want to belong to this Society. But you'll have to understand that this is a scary thing for me to do.

Biography: Martin Nilsson was born in 1980. He studied at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm. Before entering the college in Stockholm, he participated in a competition for pianists in the south of Sweden, which he won two consecutive times; the last time he also participated in a continuation competition in Denmark, where he placed second. For a few years, he has been doing a little bit of other things besides music, but now he has taken up practise once anew.

A picture of myself:
Attachment:
The attachment martinbild.jpg is no longer available

So I have re-recorded the three files of which you have no recording previously on the site, with a new equipment, which should give a louder sound. Here they are:

Attachment:
The attachment polonaise.mp3 is no longer available

Attachment:
The attachment haydn1.mp3 is no longer available

Attachment:
martinbild.jpg
martinbild.jpg [ 41.99 KiB | Viewed 2123 times ]

Chopin: Polonaise in A flat Major op. posth. VIDEO
Haydn: Sonata 57 in F Major Hob. XVI/47; 1. Moderato VIDEO
Haydn: Sonata 57 in F Major Hob. XVI/47; 2. Larghetto, 3. Allegro VIDEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quintus Skrjablin wrote:
So I have decided to come out with a photo and a name, because I really want to belong to this Society. But you'll have to understand that this is a scary thing for me to do. [/url]

Oh Martin, don't be afraid - we won't bite you (that hard.... :lol: ).

Ok, seriously - it's good that you are persevering in your quest to become to PS member. You're playing is acceptable, and your volume level on these three recordings is much better than before. But there is some fuzziness and a sort of 'wheezing' in the background (it's worse on the Haydn). Must be your mics. It's not too terrible and we do have worse-sounding recordings on the site. I am borderline on this, so if another member says that the sound is okay, then I'll go ahead and put you up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Helllooooo out there.....Calling other members to chime in here!! I have some reservations, but I am a bit picky when it comes to sound quality so I want another opinion regarding these recordings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, been too busy lately to do much listening. I had reservations about the artistic quality before, so I'm curious if that has improved, as well as the sound quality. Will try to give these a listen soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Admin

I listened to the Polonaise, which is of course not vintage Chopin to put it mildly. The Chopin geeks here will yell heresy if I put forward that this is a boring and overlong piece which could just as well have been composed by Field or Hummel. Whether true or not, IMO it needs some special advocacy and commitment to make it work. Your playing is reliable and polished, but to my ears seems mostly devoid of dynamics and expression (same as I remarked before). The many trills are most always too forceful and laboured, sometimes harsh and sometimes uneven. The obnoxiously creaking piano bench is really irritating, to the point of being unacceptable. You must really do something about that if you are serious about recording.

Mostly the same remarks on your Haydn. Good technique and tempo, nothing wrong with that. But no expression, dynamics or Haydnesque wit. Hardly any dynamics or agogics (none that I could hear anyway). Also here, ornaments tend to be too heavy and laboured.

The sound is acceptable if not exactly pleasing, a bit recessed and dry. But it's on artistic grounds that I am not too keen on these, sorry.
It's a shame as you are obviously a technically good player. But from a competition winner I had expected more, and I also think PS listeners would expect more than just hearing the notes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 pm 

Hi Martin,

If you were trying to pass through Audition Room unnoticed, well, you certainly didn't make it. :lol:

Your playing is very polished and the sound is pleasant and carefully crafted. Unfortunately, as Chris's already said, you also flatten all the dynamics out and after a while of listening the outcome is painfully lifeless. It's apparent you're very skillfull, so it is quite puzzling to me how so an important part of a performance is totally missing here.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 pm 
Admins and Friends on Pianosociety,

While on the topic of psuedonyms I have a confession to make. I have a dissociative personality disorder. By popular definition you might call me a schizophrenic. By all this I mean my name is not in fact "Jack Pringle" (or Jackpringle123). I made this name up and it is a psuedonym name like Quintus Skrjablin. which I have to admit is a much cooler name :roll: . So Martin is the real name of Quintus and Riley is my real name, Jack is the fake one. I have another account here on pianosociety (pianoman342) and I was going to delete jackpringle123 over the summer but the function looked to be disabled. So, I am not going to post anymore on this account. I have psychological issues I need worked out and I pray that they will be. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

-Riley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Jackpringle123 wrote:

While on the topic of psuedonyms I have a confession to make. I have a dissociative personality disorder. By popular definition you might call me a schizophrenic. By all this I mean my name is not in fact "Jack Pringle" (or Jackpringle123). I made this name up and it is a psuedonym name like Quintus Skrjablin. which I have to admit is a much cooler name :roll: . So Martin is the real name of Quintus and Riley is my real name, Jack is the fake one. I have another account here on pianosociety (pianoman342) and I was going to delete jackpringle123 over the summer but the function looked to be disabled. So, I am not going to post anymore on this account. I have psychological issues I need worked out and I pray that they will be. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

-Riley

Well that is a bit OT ! I never thought your name was Jack Pringle but I never guessed you were pianoman342. For some reason I seem to get along better with the latter :lol: Your postings as Jackpringle123 have often confused me, being sometimes daft, sometimes quite sensible. If you want me to remove this account I can do so.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:25 pm 

Jackpringle123 wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if you ought to make three separate donations to PS, at this point.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Jackpringle123 wrote:

-Riley

Wow - that is random! So this is the same person who made that video? :? Hmmm...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

So Martin, what say you? Can you make new recordings without the squeaky bench and possibly better dynamics/technique?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
So Martin, what say you? Can you make new recordings without the squeaky bench and possibly better dynamics/technique?

Not to mention some musical interest ? The technique isn't actually the problem, except maybe the execution of trills and ornaments.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 pm 

I think I will try later with some other pieces instead. But it will take some while, because I don't have any piano where I am now; I only have short periods for recording when I visit my parents.

The Haydn sonata had no dynamical annotations in the Urtext, I think it might be written for cembalo originally. So I think I've failed with doing the necessary analysis of where to play loud and soft. But I think I will try my luck with some other pieces instead, maybe another Haydn sonata and some Debussy coming up.

Techneut's critique is pretty harsh, and I don't feel it is completely pertinent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quintus Skrjablin wrote:
Techneut's critique is pretty harsh, and I don't feel it is completely pertinent.

It is indeed, and it is never nice to get such a critique. Pertinent or not, always keep in mind you don't play for yourself only. It's not about how YOU think you are playing, it is about how others perceive it. Getting all the notes right is really only the beginning.