Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bartok - Ten Easy Pieces
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

This is a re-recording of my CS from 2007. As Pianoman342 kindly pointed out, I had omitted a bar in the Dedication, and I thought there was otherwise room for improvement.

Once again, the Bear Dance would not come without cuts and bruises. This bear is vicious.... and Bartok is very droll in calling this an 'easy piece'. It's damn difficult and tiring, at least for me and my grand who both suck at repeated notes. But it's much better than it was.

Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 0: Dedication (2:25)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 1: Peasant Song (0:49)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 2: Painful struggle (1:27)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 3: Slovak young men's dance (0:51)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 4: Sostenuto (1:29)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 5: Evening in Transylvania (2:23)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 6: Hungarian folk song (0:44)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 7: Dawn (1:40)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 8: Folk song (1:23)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 9: Finger study (1:16)
Bartok - 10 Easy Pieces, Sz. 39 - 10: Bear dance (1:57)

Post subject: Re: Bartok - Ten Easy Pieces
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 pm 

I listened to Dedication and some of your other pieces. Now that I hear the bar within the context to the rest of the piece I think it sounds better included!

The Bear Dance has some clashing harmonies, and appears to be a piece requiring a very refined style of play to play perfectly, if that is humanly possible. I think it sounds fine the way you play it. I will have to listen to other versions on youtube.

-Riley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I listened to Dedication and some of your other pieces. Now that I hear the bar within the context to the rest of the piece I think it sounds better included!

It does indeed. I still can't fathom how I left that bar out and (worse) failed to notice.

pianoman342 wrote:
The Bear Dance has some clashing harmonies, and appears to be a piece requiring a very refined style of play to play perfectly, if that is humanly possible. I think it sounds fine the way you play it. I will have to listen to other versions on youtube.

Thanks. It's not bad but more strenuous than I would have liked. And too many cuts to be really proud of it. I just can't do 4-3-2-1 on one note for a long stretch :x Even if the instrument were to cooperate. Ah well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:21 am 

Hi Chris,

I just listened to the whole set. Excellent playing! You bring an expressiveness to Bartok's music which is very pleasing indeed. My favorites were "Dawn" and "Bear Dance". I think that "Dawn" has some glints of impressionism showing that Bartok, while being a nationalist and modernist composer, was also eclectic at times dabbling a bit in other styles as well. When I listened to "Bear Dance", the repeated notes patterns vaguely reminded me of the "Toccata" from Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin. I can see it's definitely a "bear" to play well!!

It got me to wondering when I last played a Bartok piece. So in a matter of a minute or two, I discovered it was in the adjudicated 1955 National Piano Playing Auditions where I played Bartok's "Song of the Wanderer" within a program of 10 memorized pieces from all periods. Unfortunately the opus number was not listed, but I'm thinking it might be the piece we now know as "Wandering" in Microcosmos. Anyway, that was my contribution. :lol:

David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that David, glad you enjoyed them. For sure these pieces are far more than didactical.
Yes Bartok could be impressionist with the best of them, though he never has the cushy sound of a Debussy or Ravel.
It's always more angular, earthy, strange, dark, and personal.
I don't link the Bear Dance to Ravel's toccata. That latter one is far harder and more complicated. It's just that repeated notes are always a bicth to me :x
I don't know a Bartok 'Song of the Wanderer'. Yes it could be the one called 'Wandering'. Too long ago to tell :wink: