Slawomir Dobrzanski

Ciurlionis - Prelude VL239

Ciurlionis - Prelude VL241

Gottschalk - La Manchega, Op. 38

Scriabin - Etude in f-sharp minor, Op. 8, No. 2

Post subject: Re: Audition Repertoire/Slawomir
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:38 am 
Site Admin

Ah, there you are! I was getting ready to write something on your previous post but then you suddenly disappeared! :shock: :)

Anyway, Welcome to Piano Society, Slawomir. I had a few questions about your last attachments - I was getting some different composer names on the ID tags, etc... It's late and I have no more time to download and do any more listening/processing tonight. What I heard sounded good, although I do not not know any of these pieces. Do you by any chance know one of our member's Avguste Anatov? Please tell us a little about yourself.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:36 pm 

Hello!
Thanks for listening to my recordings!

I don't know Avguste Antonov personally.

Here is some info about me:

http://www.k-state.edu/music/dobrzanski

The composer of the two preludes in Mikalojus Konstantinas Ciurlionis (1875-1911), a Lithuanian composer.

La Manchega is by Louis Moreau Gottschalk.

best,

Slawomir :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, your recordings here qualify you to become a member of Piano Society. :) Please provide a bio and photo one of us will add you to the site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 pm 

Thanks for including me into the Piano Society site! - this is exciting! 8)
Can I add some more recordings later this year?

Here is my bio (picture in the attachment):

Slawomir P. Dobrzanski teaches piano and piano literature at Kansas State University, where he also serves as the Chair of the Keyboard Division.

A native of Poland, he is a graduate of the Fryderyk Chopin Academy of Music in Warsaw and the University of Connecticut. As a soloist and chamber musician, he performed in China, Poland, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Germany, Lithuania, Paraguay, Ecuador, Peru, and throughout the United States. He is also an author of a biography of the 19th century pianist-composer Maria Szymanowska (1789-1831).

http://www.k-state.edu/music/dobrzanski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, Slawomir - your page and these recordings are up on the site. Welcome again to Piano Society - you are officially a member! :) Please check your page and all links to make sure everything is good.

Yes, you can add more recordings. In general, we prefer recent recordings with good sound quality. Also please submit only a couple at a time. And as far as being a member - I hope you will hang around on the forum often and also participate by not only submitting recordings, but also listening/commenting on other member's recordings. And we have many other discussions going on in the other forums as well, so please 'make yourself at home'.

As far as your music here - I listened to each piece about three times while I was making up your page and putting up the music. I had never heard of Ciurlionis before, but these two preludes have interesting harmonies. I like the sound of them. And I have heard of Gottschalk before but had not heard this particular piece. I like it - it's nice and happy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:45 pm 

Always a pleasure to hear some Gottschalk. Good playing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

I much enjoyed the Ciurlionis pieces, a composer I'd heard about, but not actually heard music from. Wonderfully sophisticated music, excellently played. Any more where that came from ? You could have cut some seconds of noises from the beginning of the second one.

The Gottschalk seems a bit literal and hurried to me. I was a bit surprised by the rhythm, where you accent the second of each 16th, whereas I have always accented the first, giving it an entirely different (IMO more interesting) rhythm. But it seems you do it the 'right' way because some other pianists play it like that too. We sure must have more Gottschalk on the site.

Can't somment on the Scriabin as I do not like the piece :/

Last not least, welcome to PS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 pm 

Hi, Monica and Chris,
Monica - I will listen to many pieces on pianosociety.com - especially the ones I don't know (which there are plenty of). If I feel like commenting I will have to learn how to do it...especially on pieces that are already posted. I have little or next to none experience with forums etc. It will take some time to learn how things work here. I am planning to add just a little but of recordings gradually - there is not much I consider worthy or perfected enough from all my playing...Also, my suspicion is that when the school begins I will be much less visible due to being extremely busy (14 weeks at a time)...

Chris - thanks for your comments, I am playing the Gottschalk soon again and will consider every comment I receive. I am also playing the Porto Rico and Andalousia and I hope to have them recorded and maybe they will be suitable for this site.

Ciurlionis needs to be better known in the US. He is already pretty much known in Europe. The only problem is that CD's with his music on amazon are over 20$ and people wouldn't invest this much money to listen to something they might not like. I might offer some more Ciurlionis to this site soon.

thanks again,
Slawomir