Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Scriabin etude op 8 no 12 NEED HELP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 pm 
Ive been playing this etude for months now, and i cant seem to get the part from 2:03-2:13 right, no matter how many times I practice it, I would love any helpful hints, I am playing this in a recital a week from today. thanks
heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoj_L5FpkXI

Post subject: Re: Scriabin etude op 8 no 12 NEED HELP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:17 pm 

I won't sugar coat anything here, as it defeats the purpose and you only have 1 week!... There is too much liberty in rubato, too many pauses throughout the piece, and you're overpedaling. This is Scriabin's Revolutionary Etude, so there needs to be more fire in your style. You need much more dynamic and rhythmic contrast to create the sense of tension and drama, it's too serene. Even from the opening 16th note octave D# preceding the beat, and the 16th note on A# octave jump are all important events in the musical development of this piece and they suggest an undertone of unrest and agitation. It should be "da-DAAH" not "da-dah;" and this rhythmic and dynamic motif permeates throughout the piece, you have to pay attention to it and not smooch over it. There needs to be more anger in both hands to suggest revolution, unrest, and fire. Even the broken chords in the left hand suggest unease, tension, and a sense of urgency. This is a piece that can bring the house down if you play it right. It seems like you're trying to emulate Chopin, can't do that here, not with the golden age of Russian music.

Try to build up a climax from the beginning to about m15. Maintain a solid singing tone in the middle section to ease a little tension, but don't wimp out on the left hand; it should always have an undercurrent of agitation, Scriabin didn't write any legato marks here.

The passage before the coda that you allude to is probably the most difficult passage in the entire Etude, and it took me the longest to get right too. My rule is that if you don't get a passage in a 1-2 weeks's worth of practicing, then something is wrong, usually it's the fingering. But, in this case, you have to practice this passage hand separately and vary the rhythm making dotted eights and sixteenths out of the those jumps in the left hand - anything to get away from the regular notation. Try moving your hand very fast in anticipation of those jumps. And Practice ff. Anticipation is key to playing fast - that means having music memorized.

Don't try to crossover the A# with the L.H. at the end. One is prone to hit G#, like you did. Very dangerous maneuver after playing such a tense piece.

If your performance is 1 wk away, don't kill your hand after this weekend, please! You can do it, just practice in sections, hand separately at first, then both hands together. Good Luck on this exciting piece!

Post subject: Re: Scriabin etude op 8 no 12 NEED HELP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:52 pm 
88man wrote:
I won't sugar coat anything here, as it defeats the purpose and you only have 1 week!... There is too much liberty in rubato, too many pauses throughout the piece, and you're overpedaling. This is Scriabin's Revolutionary Etude, so there needs to be more fire in your style. You need much more dynamic and rhythmic contrast to create the sense of tension and drama, it's too serene. Even from the opening 16th note octave D# preceding the beat, and the 16th note on A# octave jump are all important events in the musical development of this piece and they suggest an undertone of unrest and agitation. It should be "da-DAAH" not "da-dah;" and this rhythmic and dynamic motif permeates throughout the piece, you have to pay attention to it and not smooch over it. There needs to be more anger in both hands to suggest revolution, unrest, and fire. Even the broken chords in the left hand suggest unease, tension, and a sense of urgency. This is a piece that can bring the house down if you play it right. It seems like you're trying to emulate Chopin, can't do that here, not with the golden age of Russian music.

Try to build up a climax from the beginning to about m15. Maintain a solid singing tone in the middle section to ease a little tension, but don't wimp out on the left hand; it should always have an undercurrent of agitation, Scriabin didn't write any legato marks here.

The passage before the coda that you allude to is probably the most difficult passage in the entire Etude, and it took me the longest to get right too. My rule is that if you don't get a passage in a 1-2 weeks's worth of practicing, then something is wrong, usually it's the fingering. But, in this case, you have to practice this passage hand separately and vary the rhythm making dotted eights and sixteenths out of the those jumps in the left hand - anything to get away from the regular notation. Try moving your hand very fast in anticipation of those jumps. And Practice ff. Anticipation is key to playing fast - that means having music memorized.

Don't try to crossover the A# with the L.H. at the end. One is prone to hit G#, like you did. Very dangerous maneuver after playing such a tense piece.

If your performance is 1 wk away, don't kill your hand after this weekend, please! You can do it, just practice in sections, hand separately at first, then both hands together. Good Luck on this exciting piece!

thank you, and just to throw out, The G sharp at the end really killed the whole piece! Haha, Thank you very much for the advice, you sound very much like my teacher, *chuckles* he says you play Scriabin like Chopin and Beethoven like Scriabin. The rhythm in that passage which I have trouble in, is written so that the notes go in between, that I am ok with, It is the chords in the left hand that make me slow down. Thanks again!