Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Brahms - 4 Klavierstücke Op.119
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 am 

alf wrote:
Not a problem, but since it's Brahms you probably should be a bit more knowledgeable about his music before evaluating it.

Now, don't be a snob. I didn't analyze it; I just said that I haven't heard much Brahms that I like. :wink:

Alfie wrote:
If you want to comment on my submissions, please talk about the music, talk about the shortcomings and imbalances in the performance, as the more attentive and dedicated members often do.

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:12 am 

Quote:
Terez wrote:
At least I didn't say anything about your perfect-as-usual playing this time. :wink: I figured Chris had handled that already.

Yes, you didn't and I'm grateful to you for that! There is no such thing as perfection as a perfect cliche.
If you want to comment on my submissions, please talk about the music, talk about the shortcomings and imbalances in the performance, as the more attentive and dedicated members often do. Talk even about the weather or the breaking news, if relevant, but please, leave that poor, so abused little word alone. :lol:

Oh, I'm sorry for having used that word :? But I never did that to anyone on this forum, just to be nice and friendly. It seemed just so to me, even though I try to be attentive. Maybe because I'm not so familiar with your pieces in many cases - so, I expect I could criticize your playing of opus 118. Actually as the Terez' expression "perfect-as-usual" shows, your submissions gives one that impression most of the time. If you want to hear us talking about the shortcomings etc. in your playing, you should submit something easily criticizable with many flawes :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 am 

Terez wrote:
Alfie wrote:
If you want to comment on my submissions, please talk about the music, talk about the shortcomings and imbalances in the performance, as the more attentive and dedicated members often do.

Good, now you've a topic to talk about. Go on.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:18 am 

alf wrote:
hyenal wrote:
I'm just curious if your score has arpeggios in bar 48-50 on the RH chords. Mine doesn't. Anyway even that was appealing to me.

Forgot to answer to this. I made them up, that passage tastes so tenderly waltzish (in a very melancholic Brahmsian way, of course).

A good choice. They sound very effectively on your playing. On the other way I'm always insecure, when I'm allowed to add something to the "Urtext", when not (apart from Bach-playing). What kind of criterion do you have?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am 

hyenal wrote:
Quote:
Terez wrote:
At least I didn't say anything about your perfect-as-usual playing this time. :wink: I figured Chris had handled that already.

Yes, you didn't and I'm grateful to you for that! There is no such thing as perfection as a perfect cliche.
If you want to comment on my submissions, please talk about the music, talk about the shortcomings and imbalances in the performance, as the more attentive and dedicated members often do. Talk even about the weather or the breaking news, if relevant, but please, leave that poor, so abused little word alone. :lol:

Oh, I'm sorry for having used that word :?

Don't worry HJ, of course it's not a matter of choosing one word over another, it's what you put around a word that counts.

hyenal wrote:
If you want to hear us talking about the shortcomings etc. in your playing, you should submit something easily criticizable with many flawes :wink:

This raises an interesting argument about the reasons we submit recordings to PS. Some people use PS as a showcase, others take advantage from Audition Room to receive insightful comments on their playing. Some simply hang around and hope to exchange views on their interpretations and the music they play. Personally I see no point in reading for the umpteenth time that I play on a digital piano... I know already. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am 

hyenal wrote:
alf wrote:
hyenal wrote:
I'm just curious if your score has arpeggios in bar 48-50 on the RH chords. Mine doesn't. Anyway even that was appealing to me.

Forgot to answer to this. I made them up, that passage tastes so tenderly waltzish (in a very melancholic Brahmsian way, of course).

A good choice. They sound very effectively on your playing. On the other way I'm always insecure, when I'm allowed to add something to the "Urtext", when not (apart from Bach-playing). What kind of criterion do you have?

We add something to the "Urtext" all the time! We have to. Secondly, Urtext (or, more rightly, a good critical edition) should be like a compass, or a map, that is, a reliable reference system. Then you choose where to go...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:32 pm 

alf wrote:
Terez wrote:
Alfie wrote:

I seem to remember finding a shortcoming or two with your Chopin 15/1 nocturne. Perhaps soon you can find shortcomings in my 55/1 nocturne. :wink: I am enjoying relearning it. And my Bach too of course. I can already predict some of your criticisms.

Of course, I tend to comment more on pieces I am familiar with, but I do like chiming in on your threads. I probably wouldn't have commented on this one if Hye-Jin hadn't given me the opportunity to complain about her digital piano, which I'm not sure I've done before. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 pm 

Terez wrote:
Alfie wrote:

I seem to remember finding a shortcoming or two with your Chopin 15/1 nocturne.

And I'm glad you did. Offer valuable criticism and you'll fall again into the "most attentive and dedicated members" category.

Terez wrote:
Perhaps soon you can find shortcomings in my 55/1 nocturne. :wink:

Dunno, I'm not so familiar with it... :P

Terez wrote:
Of course, I tend to comment more on pieces I am familiar with, but I do like chiming in on your threads. I probably wouldn't have commented on this one if Hye-Jin hadn't given me the opportunity to complain about her digital piano, which I'm not sure I've done before. :lol:

Would you believe me if I said that there's much less to complain about a well played digital piano, as in HJ's case, than about many dull performances on a fine grand?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:18 am 

Alfie wrote:
Offer valuable criticism and you'll fall again into the "most attentive and dedicated members" category.

I don't believe I have ever been in that category, or ever will be.

Alfie wrote:

It's okay; you can post just to say you don't like it much and I won't be offended. :wink:

Alfie wrote:
Would you believe me if I said that there's much less to complain about a well played digital piano, as in HJ's case, than about many dull performances on a fine grand?

You already know my opinion here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:19 pm 

Terez wrote:
Alfie wrote:

It's okay; you can post just to say you don't like it much and I won't be offended. :wink:

I'm not familiar with many of the pieces I usually comment on (take Catoire, for instance). I'm caught by an interpretation of a piece, not by the piece per se.
And if you play an instrument, you as a listener don't need to know intimately what has been played to express an opinion on the performance, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:40 am 

Terez wrote:
Alfie wrote:
Offer valuable criticism and you'll fall again into the "most attentive and dedicated members" category.

I don't believe I have ever been in that category, or ever will be.

Terez...
do you rename Alfonso's quote references to "Alfie"?

that's funny! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am 

Alfie (after Terez) wrote:

Haha, I find it cool that my complaint resulted in a compliment for my "well played digital piano" 8) 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:28 pm 

I'm sorry Alfie; I wont comment on your recordings any more unless I know the piece (because regardless of your expectations, I can't think of anything to say about a performance unless I know the piece, unless there is something that stands out to me, which of course there almost never is in your recordings).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:33 pm 

Terez wrote:
I'm sorry Alfie; I wont comment on your recordings any more unless I know the piece (because regardless of your expectations, I can't think of anything to say about a performance unless I know the piece, unless there is something that stands out to me, which of course there almost never is in your recordings).

Then I'll better learn a lot of Chopin next! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:03 pm 

Hello Alfonzo, I finally had a chance to listen to all the pieces. What a wonderful project you set out to accomplish for the year. These performances are all highly musically polished and very well played. This nice suite is a testament to your balancing intelligence and emotional impact within your music. Bravo!

George

Last edited by 88man on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.