Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: My Piano Society Debut (Improvisational Based Composition)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:37 pm 

Hello everyone,

This is my original composition "Photosynthesis" which I am also the only musician on. It's mostly solo piano. I call my music "Jazzical." I have a lot of music influences including electronic music, jazz, progressive rock and modern classical.

Direct Download Link: http://media.libsyn.com/media/differencetone/DT_Episode_7.mp3

It's also available as the Difference Tone Podcast through iTunes or on my website for free at: http://www.differencetone.com

Post subject: Re: My Piano Society Debut (Improvisational Based Composition)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03 pm 

Hi Eduardo,
Beautiful music indeed ! Congratulations for playing so well two instruments (keayboard and saxophone, at least...) ! How did you manage this recording ? Is it a one-shot improvisation, during which you went from an instrument to another one, or is it a combination of several impros mounted one after one ? Also, I guess you're using a MIDI keyboard, so that you can repeat sequences changing the sound, right ?
Personnaly, as far as synthesizers are concerned, I prefer sounds that do not try to imitate an acoustic one (originals are always better than copies)... which does not prevent me to use extensively a digital harpsichord, but this can be hardly detected by listening the recordings, while in your case, the strings, for example cannot be taken for real ones. Nevertheless, the whole piece forms a nice trip !
Maybe our great judge Techneut will bother you saying it is far from being pure piano, but let's see what happens...

Post subject: Re: My Piano Society Debut (Improvisational Based Composition)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:51 pm 

Thanks so much. The strings are section strings and the least realistic of my sounds but fun to play. I do agree that real instruments are always better (with expert musicians and recording engineer.) My next step is to compose for a chamber group. I'm in talks with musicians and a choreographer now about a project for a dance company.

The piano part was done in one shot with basically minor editing of the parts. It was shortened from 20 minutes to 12 because I wasn't sure how much people could take. The sax parts were culled from a longer recording.

I am most proud of the Saxophone because I have only been playing that instrument for one and a half years. I picked it up to add an acoustic instrument to my recordings for variation, depth and color. Since then I bought a trumpet but I'm not confident enough on that yet to release it in a recording. I also recently bought a didgeridoo and a kalimba. I'll probably use those next year. I'm a big fan of trumpet players Miles Davis and Jon Hassell.