Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Villa-Lobos - A manha da Pierrete (Pierrette's Ruse)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:40 am 

Hello,

As a homage to Brazil's victory in today's match for the FIFA world cup, I have recorded this piece by villa lobos. It is number 3 of his "Carnaval das Crianças", "A manha da Pierrete".

Now, that's a pickle to translate. "Carnaval", although usually translated "Carnival", has nothing to do with amusement parks: rather, it is a street festival we have in Brazil, more or less in the spirit of the Mardi Gras, and around the same time. Today carnival is a festival mainly for adults, but a long time ago it used to be that children would also go out during carnival, wearing several different costumes: Pierrot, Colombina, Arlequim (look them up!)... Like halloween in the U.S. In some places children still do go out. Pierrete would be a female "Pierrot", a traditional costume worn during the carnival.

And "manha" would be something like a caprice, a whim, or a ruse, slyness, artfulness.

So, that said, I present to you "Pierrette's Ruse", no. 3 of Villa-Lobos's "Children's Carnival".

I was concerned about copyright issues but I have observed that you do have some Villa-Lobos recordings up, and some by Felipe, whom I know to be very particular about not infringing copyright law.

Is it good enough to go up? Please feel free to express your opinions.

Marcelo

Post subject: Re: Villa-Lobos - A manha da Pierrete (Pierrette's Ruse)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Some years ago, we decided not to worry about copyright unless somebody complains. In that case, worst than can happen is that we have to take it off. So far, it's happened only once - Boosey and Hawkes being petty about two or three particular recordings. Fingers crossed :)

A careful and accurate performance Marcelo. But it is so slow, cautious, and apologetic that it doesn't work... There's none of HVL's exuberance and abandon, little sense of the great show in the streets. Live with it a while longer, come to feel the fun and the glitter, then it will be much better. Especially the LH 'horn call' in the middle section should be more prominent, not just an accompaniment for the caperings in the RH.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:15 pm 

Hello, Chris!

Thank you for you very honest review (as always).

Should it be played faster? I'll have to try that.

What "horn call" do you mean, bars 11-14, bars 15-20 or bars 21-32?

I have attached the score.

:-)

Marcelo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

mgasilva wrote:
Thank you for you very honest review (as always).
Should it be played faster? I'll have to try that.

I believe so, but I may be wrong. I see you have written 50 to the quarter in the score,
that seems quite slow. Note that the meter is alla breve - maybe it should
have been 50 to the half note :) Although that would be insanely fast.

mgasilva wrote:
What "horn call" do you mean, bars 11-14, bars 15-20 or bars 21-32?

Bars 15-20. I don't hear a horn call in these other bars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm 

Hello, Chris,

I thought maybe you meant bars 15-20, as the LH in those bars bears the most characteristic melodic line of a horn blow. But don't you think bars 11-14 also resemble a brass timbre? I just wanted to make sure.

I did realize this piece is in cut time. Those annotations are my teacher's, as suggestions of what tempo I should set on the metronome while studying it. :-)

BTW, I read in some other thread (maybe in another forum, even), someone commenting about the french influence on Villa-Lobos. I guess this piece would also fall into this category.

Thanks again.

Marcelo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

mgasilva wrote:
I thought maybe you meant bars 15-20, as the LH in those bars bears the most characteristic melodic line of a horn blow. But don't you think bars 11-14 also resemble a brass timbre? I just wanted to make sure.

Maybe so. It's been a long time since I played this one, and I'm not sure I have ever heard it play until now.

mgasilva wrote:
BTW, I read in some other thread (maybe in another forum, even), someone commenting about the french influence on Villa-Lobos. I guess this piece would also fall into this category.

It could be. HVL had so many influences... a stylistical magpie if there ever was one. Indeed there seems to be more than a whiff of Debussy here.