Stravinsky: Petruska for piano 4 hands, G. Concas

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Stravinsky: Petruska for piano 4 hands, G. Concas

Postby neopoiesis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Dear PianoSociety:
...and: Stravinsky / Petruska for piano 4 hands, Graziella Concas & Dario Strazzeri.
Ciao, Roberto Carnevale

Stravinsky - Petrouchka (31:21)

Site Admin

Re: Stravinsky: Petruska for piano 4 hands, G. Concas

Postby techneut » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks for that Roberto. This is an important addition to the site, recommended listening (I do love Petrouchka a lot).
Excellent performance too, nothing to be wished for except maybe for a more opulent and less close sound.
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Postby differencetone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:04 pm

I love this piece too. Great performance. I listened twice. The dynamics are quite good but I think the audio recording has been over-compressed for classical music.

Postby FrederickJ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 pm

This is one of my very favorite orchestra works. Overall I thought the technique was very strong, the 4 hands mostly in sync throughout and the overall impression was very musical.

That said, some constructive criticism (I hope):

I thought the performance lacked some of the majesty I would expect from the early march sections. They are well played and big but big is not majesty.

I also thought the dynamic contrast was limited but as others have said perhaps some degree of artificial compression is limiting that range.

I would like to see a bit more space between different sections; the tempos were appropriate but a little time to catch one's breath can be very effective in setting up later sections. In some areas I thought the tempos were a bit overly rigid (not to the point of robotic but...) but overall very effective.

Notwithstanding these minor points I thought the performance was very good. Nice job.

Frederick Johnson

“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” ~Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

My website:

Return to “Audition Room”