Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Advice on MP3 Recorders
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:29 pm 

felipesarro wrote:
Quote:
he was concerning about the sound quality. I myself face lots of synchronization problems. YT does what it wants with our videos. :?

From my experience the sound-quality is extremely reduced compared with the original on YouTube, indeed! That´s a point, which bothers me, I have to admit. I personally don´t have problems with synchronisation.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:01 am 

Thanks for all of your input. I read a lot of very good testimonials on the internet regarding the Zoom H2, but best to check it out in person at the music store. I think that one of the reasons that it is cheaper than the H4 from what I read is that it has plastic casing. The testimonials also claimed that it is very easy to use which is also an important consideration for me in addition to good sound quality.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:55 am 

My new Zoom H2 arrived today from Amazon.com. Sooner than I thought with the free shipping option. I'll start fooling with it soon and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:17 pm 

I still use a Sony Minidisc recording, which records uncompressed PCM files 44.1 Khz. Work great.
-Mikhail Kaykov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:57 pm 

I have had the opportunity to test the new Zoom H4n today. I just made a recording for fun and for to test the little built-in microphones. I think, the quality is really not bad. The new Zoom H4n has a remote control (very practical to start and to stop the takes while sitting at the piano). I don´t want to publish this recording on the main-site, btw, because it´s not good enough for my taste (it´s played more or less at site and it´s a bit too slow). Some of the advantages of the new model are: you can put SD-cards up to 32 GB into it (I have only 8 GB), a new larger display, the mikes can be turned from 90 to 120 degree, the case is much more stabil than the old one, also the buttons and there is a stabil plastic case, where the device can be put in, there is a built in loudspeaker, so that you don´t need any more headphones (but the sound-quality is better with headphones, of course), the whole handling is less complicated and easier than with the old model.

What do you think of the sound-quality of the new Zoom H4n?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds good.
Although to be sure one would have to compare it, same recording with a different device.
This H4N has a lot of nice features, like the remote control, speaker, large capacity, that my puny Edirol R-1 lacks.
And doesn't it also have 4-track recording, for recording 4-hands with yourself ? It's a butt-ugly thing, but I think I want one...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:33 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Sounds good.
Although to be sure one would have to compare it, same recording with a different device.

Yeah, but you could listen to our four hands recordings for example. They are made with the Zoom H4 old model as you know. Of course, it´s not the same piece to compare, but I don´t know, if I will find the time at this moment to make another recording of the same piece with the old model. I think, the microphones of the new model are not audibly better than of the old model, it´s more the many new features, which make this new model an advantage to have.

Quote:
And doesn't it also have 4-track recording, for recording 4-hands with yourself ?

Yes, it has, but the old model has it, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:43 am 

I was thinking about making an own thread with this test of the new Zoom H4n. What do you think? But I don´t know exactly, in which forum I should post this thread, may be in the Piano Forum or Technique Forum or General Forum? We don´t have a special forum for recording technique, isn´t it?
(Could be, btw, that I will sell my used old model (which is in perfect state) for an adequate price to a fellow, who is interested, and I will put the rest of the money up and buy the new model.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
I was thinking about making an own thread with this test of the new Zoom H4n. What do you think? But I don´t know exactly, in which forum I should post this thread, may be in the Piano Forum or Technique Forum or General Forum? We don´t have a special forum for recording technique, isn´t it?

No we don't, and there is a lot of discussion about it recently. But I am too lazy to create a new forum, and we don't want too many anyway. Post it in Technique, and I will change the description of that forum accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Actually most of the previous discussions on recording gear/technique seem to be in 'Useful resources' so maybe you should post it in there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm 

O.k., Chris, I will post it in "Useful Resources". Thank you!