Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Catoire, Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12, No. 4, Etude-fantastique
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:44 am 

Rachfan wrote:
Quote:
Thank you so much for your comments on my playing! I really appreciate those coming from you, as I so much enjoy hearing your recordings and videos. I agree with your viewpoint. If one can convincingly communicate the composer's intent to the listener through musicianship and musicality, that is the final test of a performance or recording. In the total scheme of things, the occasional minor error is not so important. In today's world of the flawless CD, we become used to perfection, but really need to think of "the greats" in live performance you mentioned. And you're right--I can recall some fluffs in Horowitz's Moscow recital as an example, or Richter's "klinkers" in his stunning recording of "Pictures at an Exhibition", but those performances were nothing less than sensational. All of us should be inspired by their example and work toward that same aim.

I second that. That´s the right aim!

Quote:
I'm working on No. 3, the "Nocturne" now. :lol: The second half of this nocturne is very treacherous to play, so it's taking me longer than I had presumed it would. It's a lovely piece though. I won't be able to play it nearly as well as Hamelin, but I believe I can still do a creditable rendition for the members here.

Ah, very good, so I´m curious on your next recording.

Quote:
Thanks for taking time to give that option for the edited recording. I listened to them both a few times to compare. To be honest, I think I still prefer the purity of sound in the original overall. I didn't much mind the page turn in the climax as it was fast, the crashing chord is still resonating, and then that very small delay just before the descending short cadenza there adds to the drama. It's almost like taking a quick breath to steel yourself for the effort demanded by that cadenza. You're certainly welcome to leave your edited version here though if you'd like, as others might want to hear it too.

No problem you prefer your own original, of course. Such matters are always only of personal taste. Could also be, that I cut off a bit too much between that chord and the descending cadenza. That´s what I thought while re-listening to my edited version today.

All the best,
your friend,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:42 am 

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your additional remarks. I'm glad that you're OK with my wanting to stick with my original recording. You're very understanding, and I appreciate and value that! :)

Your friend,
David

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 am 

lisztzsil wrote:
There are so many great uknown russian composers...
Bortkiewicz, for instance, is one of those forgotten Russian composers.

Alexandre, do you talk a lot with Gustavo, my cousin? I ask you this, because once he came to my house and played a ultra-romantic piece by a Russian composer, and it was Bortkiewicz!
I didn't know him at that time.
In fact, I still don't know. hehe

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 am 

Hi Felipe, yes. He was introduced to Bortkiewicz the same way I was: through our teacher, Neusa França (which in turn was introduced to his music through her teacher, Magda Tagliaferro). He studied Op.15 No.1 and No.10, and I studied No.8.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 pm 

David,
It's my turn to congratulate you for this great achievement ! I don't go to PS as often as I would like, and until today I never took time to listen any Catoire piece. You give me the desire to go forward in the discovery of this composer. Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:19 am 

Hi Francois,

Thanks for listening as well as for your kind comment! Here at Piano Society, if you visit Composers and then Catoire, you'll find many recordings there, as I've completed the sets for Op. 17, 24, and have nearly finished with Op. 12. The composing idiom is a little different between all of the opus numbers, so there is true variety there, yet they are all unmistakably Catoire. If you have time to listen to some of these pieces, I believe you'll enjoy them. Thanks again for your comments.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:18 am 

A late reply on my behalf, but I wanted to register my appreciation. You've done a lot to promote Catoire's music; thanks to you and Koji [Atwood] I've heard a lot of Catoire (and Bortkiewicz) which I would almost certainly have not heard otherwise. I've had a look at this piece and suspect it's probably quite hard to keep the 5 v 2 going coherently and consistently, to say nothing of the way melody notes occur just off beat at certain points. I look forward to more!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am 

Hi andrew,

I appreciate your listening. And thanks for your observations on the score. Yes, there are many technical points there requiring constant attention. Any polyrhythms are one of the hallmarks of Catoire's idiom. I often say that Catoire and Bortkiewicz taught me how to play the piano, and in many too ways including the nettlesome polyrhythms. I've certainly had a lot of fun and enjoyment with these pieces.

Once I finish Op. 12, I'm not quite sure what I'll tackle next--still looking at possibilities. That's the wonderful thing about the vast piano repertoire, we're never at a loss for new pieces to play!

Thanks again!

David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

David, I think you should be looking into some Medtner for a next project. If you enjoy the combination of lush sonorities and nettlesome polyrhytms, Medtner's the man for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm 

Hi Chris,

Ha! I think you just read my mind. I'm at an odd juncture in the Catoire repertoire, as Opp. 12, 17 and 24 are my favorites, and I'm just one piece away from completing those. And I'm feeling a need to take a break and do something else in the repertoire at the moment, thus mulling over other possibilities. There is indeed a Medtner piece that has sparked my interest, and, once I finish up with Catoire's "Nocturne", I might well move to Medtner, but I can't disclose the title yet, in order to keep folks wondering. :lol:

David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
Ha! I think you just read my mind.

Elementary, dear Watson :)
It was only a matter of time before you would turn to Medtner, and find everyting you find in Bortkiewicz and Catoire, and then some.
Any piece you pick is worth the effort. Though admittedly, some works are awfully long and winding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 pm 

Oh, Medtner is one of the composers that my favorite pianist Berezovky plays often! (again after Lyadov :D)
David wrote:
There is indeed a Medtner piece that has sparked my interest, and, once I finish up with Catoire's "Nocturne", I might well move to Medtner, but I can't disclose the title yet, in order to keep folks wondering. :lol:

Yes, you keep me wondering, too, David. Anyway, how exciting is the moment when we make the choice of the next pieces!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
Yes, you keep me wondering, too, David. Anyway, how exciting is the moment when we make the choice of the next pieces!!!

Sigh... I wish I could experience such an exciting moment. Choosing a next piece is like trying to take a drink from a firehose :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 am 

Hi Chris and Hye-Jin,

Awhile back there was a lengthy thread where several of the members were discussing Medtner and encouraging me to look into that piano literature. I had found that Medtner's music did not appeal to me as much as some of the other late romanticists. Soon after that thread discussion I bought several CDs to sample more of his music, but was still not convinced. (I do though try to be fair and objective.) Well, on my own I found another piece, not on those CDs I purchased, but that captured my attention and inspired me immediately. So I'll be glad to play it, or try to anyway. Being new to Medtner's idiom, I don't know if I'll be able to interpret him as well as other pianists, but we'll see. If nothing else, my approach will certainly be different. :)

Deciding on new repertoire: I love that fire hose analogy! But the repertoire is so vast, maybe trying to drink from Niagara Falls would be the better description! :lol:

David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 am 

You might be interested in the Liapunov Nocturne as a complementary piece to the Catoire. It's op.8 and it's on imslp. Chopinesque, but with harmonies typical of Liapunov. I think it's a beautiful piece and have been intending to get around to learning it properly, but it's still in the "to do" pile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next