Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Catoire, Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12, No. 4, Etude-fantastique
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 pm 

Continuing with the Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12 from 1901 by Georgy Catoire (1861-1926), here is his Morceau No. 4, the “Etude-fantastique”. This one piece in the set bears a dedication to Alexander Goedicke (1877-1957), a colleague, pianist (who had studied with Safonov), composer and professor at the Moscow Conservatory in Catoire’s day. The piece opens in F#m, later travels through E flat, and ends enharmonically in G flat mimicking the F#m tonic heard early in the piece. I hope you’ll enjoy the etude.

To preview, No. 3, “Nocturne”, will be posted next completing Op. 12.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”) with lid raised on the singer prop.
Recorder: Korg MR-1000
Mics: Matched pair of Earthworks TC20 small diaphragm, omni-directional condenser mics in A-B configuration

There are a few fluffs, but this is a hard piece to play.

Comments welcome.

David

Catoire - Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12, No. 4, Etude-fantastique (4:19)

Last edited by Rachfan on Sun May 09, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Catoire, Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12, No. 4, Etude-fantastique
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 am 

hi, David!

so this is the much waited Etude Fantastique! :D
you said you wanted to play the entire opus, but probably this one would take a long time of practice.

I enjoyed very much the piece, though no one will take the place of Soirée d'hiver to me, haha. I have such an sick relationship with that piece :!:

there's only one thing... your page turn at 2'08 was really distracting. I appreaciate your intention of recording full takes... but don't you think that editing could take a place when page turn without interrupting the flow of the music is impossible?

anyway, nice achievement!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 am 

Hi Felipe,

I appreciate your comments. There are some mistakes in there, but it's a difficult piece. At the moment I feel as though I've "plateaued" with the piece. Perhaps if I were to return to it later, I could fix some of those fluffs.

I'll see if I can edit the page turn. I'm not too expert with that stuff. I have a hard time with intuitive programs with no apparent logic to them.

Thanks for listening. :)

David

P.S. I just took care of the page turn.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:59 am 
Site Admin

As usual you make a convincing case for this music. This must be a hard one to master, and you are doing fine despite a few small technical issues - they don't distract at all. Good work !!! It is up on the site.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words!

When I was first thinking of doing this etude, my first thought was that it might be best left to the virtuoso pianist, as I cannot realistically hope to play it as well as Hamelin or Attwood. Next, I thought that it would be easier to leave this athletic piece to the younger pianists. Then too, I have a phobia about 16th notes. :lol: (Excuses, excuses!) But as forbidding as the piece is, I did indeed want to play all of Op. 12. So... I knocked down Catoire's "No Trespassing" sign in the first measure and proceeded to learn it. You're quite right, there are some devilish technical issues in there, especially for the amateur pianist, which caused a few fluffs. I think if I let some time go by and then return to it another day, I could smooth out some of those nettlesome spots and add some nice touches that I didn't quite achieve in this initial round.

Thanks for listening.

David

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm 

hi, David!

the flow is better now that you have edited, but now we hear a "clip". hehe

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,

I haven't felt like listening to anybody lately, but you consistently listen to me so I like to return the favor. And I'm glad I did - this sounded very nice. And hard!!! Sounds like about a million notes! How long did it take for you to learn?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 pm 

Hi Felipe,

Sorry about the clip. That's the first edit I've ever tried, and thought it was pretty good. Can't win. :( I gave up on Audacity and used AVS. At least it's better than the former.

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Mon May 10, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:08 pm 

Hi Monica,

Thanks for listening to the etude! Yes, it's a daunting piece, especially for pianists like me who have less than a "big technique". On the million notes as you put it, to me it sounds almost like three hands playing, because the melody and accompaniment are in the RH with the LH playing a harmonic accompaniment along with taking melody hand-offs from the RH at times. There are many technical complexities there.

It's hard to say how long I've been working on it exactly. I believe I started it around early March, but was studying it in tandem with the Op. 12 Nocturne, thus splitting my practice time. During the past two weeks, I worked only on the etude. Had I dedicated all of the time from the beginning to the etude, I could have posted it sooner. If I had to guess, I'd say I invested six weeks in it anyway of the limited time I have for practicing.

Thanks for your nice compliment! :)

David

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:19 pm 

hi, David!

I admire your courage of not editing at all. I think the only recording of mine which has no edits is Elgar's Salut d'amour. And even so they have slips! This is something I'm trying to avoid at all in my recent recordings (slips, not edits. hehe)

Is this AVS program free? I like open source softwares, but I had no luck with Audacity. I pretty much prefer Wave Editor, from Nero. It has less features, but Audacity don't satisfy my needs.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

If you guys are interested - a member of one of my other 'groups' just today posted information on free editing software. I have not checked it all out yet, but looks like some promising stuff.

here is the link:

http://miccontrol.com/#/micschool/7free ... orwindows/

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm 

Thanks for that tip, Monica.

David

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 pm 

Hi David, congrats that you did so well with this gorgeous piece! This is the kind of music which I would never dare to try :? Just from listening I could imagine how difficult it is to play. But at the same time I believe such a brave challenge builds a part of the life of amateur pianists, doesn't it? We grow up as pianists with that and so we're getting better...
Anyway it's unbelievable that you spent only six weeks for this hard piece. It would take me six months to reach the level of your performance!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 pm 

Hi hyenal,

Thanks so much for the nice praise. I appreciate that!

I have to admit that at first undertaking this very forbidding piece seemed like a terrifying prospect. But I remember the words of Josef Hofmann, "Will it!" So that's basically what I did. Luckily it worked out well. If I were to revisit it later, I'm sure I could polish some things and add some nuances. And I agree with you, whether we're amateurs or not, we can always continue to grow in the art of the piano.

Thanks for listening!

David

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm 

Bravo David! You've grabbed the bull by the horns on this piece. It is beautifully played as your intensity always remains musical and well poised in control. In such a grand piece as this, those recording peaks can really creep up on us. Stylistically, there are also some elements of Scriabin which I like within the piece. This is a great achievement, David! What's next?....