Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Scarlatti Hm, Gaspard II Le Gibet, Medtner Sonata Tragica
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 pm 

Hey

this is some of the recordings I used for my audition for Masters in Montreal.

Hope you like them. If you do, maybe I'll add some more :wink:

-Lars Rosness

Scarlatti - Sonata in B minor, K.87, L.33 (9:09)
Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit - 2: Le Gibet (16:44)
Medtner - Forgotten Melodies Op.39 - 5: Sonata Tragica (10:36)

Post subject: Re: Scarlatti Hm, Gaspard II Le Gibet, Medtner Sonata Tragica
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Very accomplished playing Lars, no doubt you passed that audition with flying colors. If you post your bio and photo here we can add you to the sit (if that is what you wish).

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:29 pm 

Hi

Thank you for nice comments and thank you for granting me place. Here's a cv I normally use.

Pianist: Lars Espen Rosness
Born in 1984 in Asker, Norway, Rosness began his musical training at the age of five. He has his
professional education from Trondheim in Norway and Copenhagen in Denmark, and autumn 2010 he is moving to
Montreal in Canada to study under the infamous Marc Durand. He is on his way to a big career as
a musician, having performed in most of the Scandinavian countries, France, England and Spain.
He is active as chamber musician, solo performer and soloist, and he also has experience with both
contemporary music and jazz.

During his studies, Rosness has had the opportunity to attend masteclasses with and get
supplementary private tutoring from some of the finest professors and performers in the world,
amongst many others Julian Martin(Julliard School), Prof. Andrzej Jasinski(Katowice U.),
Liisa Pohjola (Sibelius Academy), Dr. José Mendéz (New York U.), Håkon Austbø (U. of Stavanger),
Prof. Jiri Hlinka (Barratt-Due Institute), Jens Elvekjær (Danish Royal Academy), Håvard Gimse (Oslo Academy).

In 2009 he won first prize in the annual piano competition for master-level students and higher held
at The Royal Danish Conservatory of Music.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ok Lars, you are up on the site with all these works. Welcome to PS, please check if all is ok.
Pleased to see you worked with Havard Gimse, a pianist I much admire.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 pm 

Hi

It looks like its up fine. However, how can I login to the artist-pages? I noticed something I would like to change in my cv..

Oh, and fun you admire Håvard Gimse..He's a very nice man and a great artist and teacher. And very funny too. He helped me alot some years ago.

-Lars

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

LarsRosness wrote:
It looks like its up fine. However, how can I login to the artist-pages? I noticed something I would like to change in my cv..

You can't. We have to change it for you. Just tell us what you'd like changed.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 pm 

Oh, allright. Well then, just change this:

"He has his professional education from Trondheim in Norway and Copenhagen in Denmark, "

to this:

"He has his professional education from Trondheim in Norway under Jørgen Larsen and Copenhagen in Denmark under Bohumila Jedlickova, "

----
Other than that I thought of writing something about repertoire, but I will come back to you about that.

Else I upload two more recordings.. Hope you like them.

Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit - 1: Ondine (6:38)
Chopin - Etude Op.10 No.6 in E flat minor (3:08)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

LarsRosness wrote:
Oh, and fun you admire Håvard Gimse..He's a very nice man and a great artist and teacher. And very funny too. He helped me alot some years ago.

I much enjoy his Tveitt CD's, that playing can't be bettered IMO. He seems to be equally good in standard repertoire. I'd love to have some lessons from him. But then, my teacher's half Norwegian so that is something.

I've changed that line in your bio.

The new uploads are good though I have to say I don't care much for your rendition of the Etude. It seems to be lacking poetry and refinement. Maybe it was your choice to put it down in a sturdy and unsentimental manner. If so I won't dispute it. I'll add these on the site later. Is Scarbo forthcoming as well ?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:28 pm 

Quote:
The new uploads are good though I have to say I don't care much for your rendition of the Etude. It seems to be lacking poetry and refinement. Maybe it was your choice to put it down in a sturdy and unsentimental manner. If so I won't dispute it. I'll add these on the site later. Is Scarbo forthcoming as well ?

You know, I must have had this discussion many many times, especially with my current teacher. What you refer to as poetry, I kind of get the feeling it's mostly about timing and tempo. I don't think the poetry in this lies in the tempi at all - I don't think it's the proper style and frankly it's quite cheap. And it would make no sense because of the snakelike figure in the middle which should never be held back. I think the poetry lies mostly in the dynamics, which, I might add, I think I accomplish pretty well. It's prettier if you don't do so much with it, but just let it flow. Besides, the character of this piece is pretty cold, so I would like it to be cold.

But mostly with the style, I think that is a major misunderstanding about most of Chopin's music, and definitely Rachmaninov's music. Because the deepness of his music is on the inside, not in the flashy outside. That also makes this music alot more powerfull in performance than on recording. Had it been Liszt, it would be different, but Liszt would never write such a piece.

Although, sometimes my sound gets a bit hard - it's unwanted, but I will excuse myself by saying that the piece is quite hard to get nice.

About Scarbo, I really wish I'd recorded it when I had the chance. I don't have the time now, and then I move so I won't have the conservatory studio. Maybe in Montreal I can get it recorded, but probably I'm going to work with different repertoire..

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

LarsRosness wrote:
You know, I must have had this discussion many many times, especially with my current teacher. What you refer to as poetry, I kind of get the feeling it's mostly about timing and tempo. I don't think the poetry in this lies in the tempi at all - I don't think it's the proper style and frankly it's quite cheap. And it would make no sense because of the snakelike figure in the middle which should never be held back. I think the poetry lies mostly in the dynamics, which, I might add, I think I accomplish pretty well. It's prettier if you don't do so much with it, but just let it flow. Besides, the character of this piece is pretty cold, so I would like it to be cold.

I guess not everybody will subscribe to that. Anyway, you have a right to your chosen interpretation. It's certainly something different.

So these two are up on the site as well. If you notice that timings are wildly off, for example in the 'New Recordings' list, that is because your recordings are VBR. With VBR, I can't calculate the timings, and have to download the files and let iTunes work it out. More work ! I don't like work :cry: Next time, please, only submit CBR recordings. In future, it may well be that VBR recordings get auto-rejected.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:07 pm 

The Scarlatti was gorgeous! I have not yet heard the rest.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:30 am 

Hi Lars,

I had only limited time tonight, so selected the Medtner "Sonata Tragica". Bravo! Your rendition was superb in all respects. I very much admire your artistry.

David

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:04 am 

Thank you very much for your comments. It is much appreciated. :)

Post subject: Chopin Etude and Ravel and Things...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:45 am 

LarsRosness wrote:
techneut wrote:

But mostly with the style, I think that is a major misunderstanding about most of Chopin's music, and definitely Rachmaninov's music. Because the deepness of his music is on the inside, not in the flashy outside. That also makes this music alot more powerfull in performance than on recording. Had it been Liszt, it would be different, but Liszt would never write such a piece.

Although, sometimes my sound gets a bit hard - it's unwanted, but I will excuse myself by saying that the piece is quite hard to get nice. ...

Hi everyone:

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I should be studying for my Accounting midterm, but just had to add a comment to this after listening to the Chopin Etude myself. I got sidetracked when I was there was a new version of Ravel's "Le Gibet" on the site to which I had to listen

I think that you're totally wrong in your assessment, techneut. :twisted: Although I don't know this particular song from Chopin, I found the piece deeply moving and passionate due to excellent fluency in subtlety of dynamics and phrasing, and profound alteration of touch. There are some awesome flows through that performance, Lars! 8) The fact that it's "unsentimental" is it's strength, not a weakness!!! I especially like when you state the phrase and then subtle back off to refrain, throughout a building legato crescendo. I'm also hearing some nice opening up of brighter tones toward the end of the piece, especially after the Major figures in the bridge and the chromatic modulation. The refrain and restatement passage is played perfectly pensive and restrained (Wagner would say "zoegend" or somesuch), which makes the resolution at the end actually quite refreshing. I'll have to look up the music for this Opus. Nice work! :D

Sorry I don't even have the manuscript so I can't give measure numbers, and if I start researching anything, I'll have to research for my due term paper instead as per my own policy. :-(

One other comment however,
Lars you mention branching out into a "different repertoire" from the Ravel (re:Scarbo)...
That's why it's so important to try to get it recorded as soon as possible! After recording the Scriabin Mazurkas which I posted here at Piano Society, I began exploring a lot of Sibelius, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff (and even a wee bit 'o John Field :wink: ). Now, when I listen to my recordings of the Scriabin pieces I want to re-record all of them, but currently 1) don't have access to my equipment and 2) am busy 24-7 with homework from my studies. I sure wish that I had finished off the rest of the set of Mazurkas back then (I actually learned the entire Opus and have all the other songs on the cutting room floor with one mistake here on this version, one mistake there on that version - all unacceptable to post. LOL). Especially since now if I start to re-record that Opus I'll just want to replace the whole set, ... that is, once I start recording again... :-) My graduation is getting closer and closer with each passing semester, so I should be much more active then, here in the fora. I could also be looking forward to helping out the site as well, since my B.S. is in Information Assurance (basically computer security, data administration, IS Mgmt) Well, I can no longer justify sidetrack distractions away from my studies and have to get back to my term paper. :cry: Hope all is well with everyone! :D

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand

P.S. PianoLady, I still haven't forgotten the critique of the Scriabin song you recorded, and will definitely write it up for you; ...although you might have already forgotten... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 am 

P.P.S. Sorry about the bump! :twisted: