Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Clementi - Sonatina Op.36 No.6, Mov.1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:18 pm 

Hi Folks,
I've decided to record something different from Nazareth, just for fun. This is my first recording on acoustic piano. The sound of the recording is far from ideal, and the interpretation has some minor mistakes. I'd like to record more Clementis in the future, specially if can capture a better recording sound.

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Post subject: Re: Clementi - Sonatina Op.36 No.6, Mov.1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 pm 

hi, Alexandre!

this is my favorite Clementi Sonatina! it's so lovely, and musically superior to much of the others.

I'd wish a lot more calm and simplicity in your performance. I myself play this first movement in more than 7 minutes! hehe
anyway... I'm not an expert on Clementi's music...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 pm 

Hi Felipe, thanks for the input. This sonatina is usually played calmly, you're right. However I try to make something different in it, playing it like a celebration.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Good playing Alexandre, even though I feel you are not quite as in your element as on your usual instrument with your 'usual' composer.
Did you intend for this to go on the site ?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm 

Hi Chris,
I'd like to put it on the site eventually, but I should make a better recording of it. So, no need to upload this one.

Thanks for the input.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:47 am 

Hi Alexandre,

Thought I'd stop by and offer my two cents, for what it's worth. Overall I think you capture the character of this sonatina quite well. Generally accurate rhythm. Very smooth, fluent playing, if at times somewhat hurried and unclear, particularly in the straight scale passages. The primary things that bothered me were the rushing and pedalling, which IMO should be applied judiciously as a general rule in classical-style fast movements. The pedalling is particularly noticeable in a couple of the bass arpeggiated passages, which seemed to be a bit drowned in sound. Some interesting rhythmic gestures accompany the tempo slackenings although at times they sound a bit studied and self-conscious to my ears, as well as a bit distracting from the movement's overall metronomic pulse. I like very much, however, your graceful, teasing return to the recapitulation from the development.

Good job overall, though there remains a bit of evening-out to do, particularly tempo-wise, as you seemed to imply in your initial post.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 pm 

Hello jlr43,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I agree that the overall tempo can be more standardized. About the rubatos and pedalling, I consciously assume that I'm doing a more "romantic" interpretation of this sonatina. I'll try to record it again when I get the chance, maybe with better mic position to capture a more rich sound (I still don't know how to, however).

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:00 pm 

Hi Alexandre,
I have played this little nice piece, too, in former times (must be at least 25 years ago), so I don´t remember all details and I couldn´t refind the score somehow. So, just let me say some general things: I like your tempo, it´s very alive and a good choice for this piece from my personal view. But you should hold it constantly, there are some few places, in which you leave a bit the tempo (at some you become faster, at some slower) because of a little unsureness probably. I think, such places can be worked out easily by you. And there are some places, in which you use pedal during runs, which should not be done in classical and baroque music.
There are some especially nice moments in the reprise, where you bring out very musically some sighing-motifs and other ideas of expression. There could be much more of such delightful moments in your next version.
In summary it´s a nice recording, though the sound-quality could be improved, of course.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:20 pm 

Hello musicusblau,
Thanks for the commnents, which seem to agree to what have been said by other members, regarding pedalling and tempo. I agree that I must even the tempo, which I intend to do in another recording, but the pedalling will probably be present, as I like to alternate between "dry" and "wet" passages (classical and romantic, if you will).

This is my ultimate reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcXO0c95CDw

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:01 am 

lisztsil wrote:
Quote:
but the pedalling will probably be present, as I like to alternate between "dry" and "wet" passages (classical and romantic, if you will).

But it´s a classical piece!

Quote:
This is my ultimate reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcXO0c95CDw

I couldn´t open the file, there was a failure-message: "this video contains material of sony and can´t be viewed in your country".

All the best
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:35 pm 

Hello musicusblau,

I understand this is an issue of the highest order regarding the philosophy of music interpretation.
But I'd like you to listen to Horowitz playing Clementi so that you can have an idea of what I'm talking about.

See if this link opens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlUpCzrcwE

See how he intercalates pedal parts with dry ones, and how he juggles "stricto tempo" passagens with rubato ones.

Best,
Alexandre