Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Songs I have written and recorded
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:30 pm 

http://www.purevolume.com/JacobGalvan
these are songs that i have w ritten and recorded myself. Tell me what you think : )

Post subject: Re: Songs I have written and recorded
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Well, since you asked... I think this is drivel. Not to worry, it's just a personal opinion. I am sure there are people who appreciate this stuff, but you're not likely to find them here. This is a classical site, in case you hadn't noticed. And the Audition Room forum is for posting mp3 recordings that are meant to go up on the site.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:29 pm 

ok, well what kind of "stuff" is this to you? ive not taken offence to your comment at all, everyone has different tastes and I personally like my music. I really want to know what genre my music falls under. by the way I recorded these songs on the spot from long improvisations in various scales. their was really no writing involved, just playing what I felt. what I am concerned most with is where my music stands in the musical world. I have nobody to critique me but my wife and family, and of course their going to think everything I do is great :-P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

galv2775 wrote:
ok, well what kind of "stuff" is this to you? ive not taken offence to your comment at all, everyone has different tastes and I personally like my music. I really want to know what genre my music falls under. by the way I recorded these songs on the spot from long improvisations in various scales. their was really no writing involved, just playing what I felt. what I am concerned most with is where my music stands in the musical world. I have nobody to critique me but my wife and family, and of course their going to think everything I do is great :-P

I wouldn't know how to categorize this, if it can be categorized at all. Sorry to be a bit dismissive, this is just not our kind of music (I should say, my kind of music, just in case someone here happens to like it). But you're lucky... I wish my wife and kids would think everything I do is great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:40 am 
Quote:
I really want to know what genre my music falls under. by the way I recorded these songs on the spot from long improvisations in various scales. their was really no writing involved, just playing what I felt.

It seems like you have answered your own question Mr. Galvan, if this is a recording that you extracted from a long scale exercise, that is really all it is. Is there a genre for that? I do not think so, but I would call it "Scale Exercise Improvisation."

You say that you will not take offense to what people say, and so I will give you my opinion, (and I am by no means a genius composer-if that is what you aspire to be-) one of my friends said it best: "you cannot get something out of nothing" in other words, if you are just improvising, all you get is improvising, not thoughtful candy to the ears type bliss.

Last words, I'll say keep playing, don't stop, put your latest in the composer section. Put your stuff up on youtube and get feedback, take a music theory course, I guess it really depends on what you want.

J