Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: G. Catoire, Prelude, Op. 17, No. 3 in Cm
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 pm 

I'm pleased to post the "Prelude, Op. 17, No. 3" in Cm of the late romantic Russian composer Georgy Catoire (1861-1926). The Four Preludes, Op. 17 were published c. 1903. The main influences on Catoire were Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Scriabin and Faure. I hope you'll enjoy this music. (Previously I posted the other three here, Preludes No. 1 in G#m, No. 2 in G, and No. 4 in B flat--so this entry completes the set!)

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6'3") just tuned

Recording: Digital, Korg MR-1000 DSD

Comments welcome

David

Catoire - Prelude, Op. 17, No. 3 in C minor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 pm 

this is a Catoire prelude I don't know (or didn't remember... hehehe)

I thought it was just a so-so piece...
then it suddenly becomes arrestingly drammatic! I like it!
good job!

PS: there is a page turn at 2'38, but I can't say anything, since I do the same. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

This is up, David. I liked everything except the page turn noises, but I know....
Congratulations on completing the set. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am 

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for the compliment! I have to say that this piece tested me. It's not an easy one to play. I agree with you--when I first started playing it, I didn't quite know what to make of that dark, brooding opening. Then there are those two sudden rays of sunshine, but are no more. Playing that (what I call "dream sequence" makes the pianist feel in free float--it's easy to get off track there unless you're careful. The bombastic extended climate toward the end is very dramatic, followed by the coda that is much like a whisper. It's not my favorite Catoire piece, but still a fine composition.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 am 

Hi Monica,

Thanks for putting the prelude up for me! Yeah, I know--the page turns. It's one of those pieces too long to spread the pages along the music desk. So I had to suffer it out. (Wish I could still memorize like when I was young. :( )

It does feel good to have recorded a complete set. This one is my first actually. My philosophy had always been to draw from any composer's opus only those pieces that truly appealed to me. I never wanted the drudgery of having to study pieces that I didn't love, just for the sake of doing a complete set. But where Catoire has so few champions now, I decided to do the whole set. I'm still planning to return to Bortkiewicz to do more of those preludes. Having done so many though, I needed a break, which is why I turned to Catoire. This Prelude No. 3 thought didn't turn out to be a respite though!!!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:41 am 

Dare I ask if you will be the Leslie Howard of Catoire's music :wink: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 am 

Hi juufa,

I don't know if I'll succeed in that endeavor, as the title already seems to be claimed by Mark-Andre Hamelin. But your question is very flattering. I greatly appreciate it!

Next I'll either do some more Catoire, or shift back to Bortkiewicz, as there is much repertoire of great interest to me left undone there too. Just these two composers could continue to keep me busy for awhile, that's for sure! Luckily I really love their music. So it's always a joy, never a chore. :)

Thanks for listening!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Very good performance David, of this strange and searching piece. IMO it's a bit too long for its content, but it has its moments of grandeur which come out very well in your hands. The Baldwin bass is very warm and sonorous but pity that the treble seems a bit out of tune.

Yeah the page turns.... a bit in-yer-face aren't they ! I'd consider violating the no-edit policy and cut them out. Play into the next bar of the next page, stop, turn the page at your leasure, resume from somewhere in the last bar of the previous, and cut out the muck afterwards. Usually you have several choices to make the splice, and with a bit of practice you can make it inaudible. But even if not, it will be better than the noisy page turn plus delay. This is how I always do it, except when I think I can get away with playing on (which is most always detected by one of the elephant-ears around here :lol: )

But nice if you can avoid this. I spent some time creating a custom music stand that comfortably holds up to 6 pages, or more if you print'em smaller. See photos. Not exactly pretty but very convenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Can you make me one of those? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:

It'll cost you to send it over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

It'll cost you to send it over.

Ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:44 pm 

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your compliment on my performance. I appreciate that! This piece is somewhat enigmatic, so it takes more time to decipher Catoire's vision, and to bring that into the performance. Catoire is sometimes very deep in this thoughts. It's also a difficult piece to play well.

One of the page turns in particular is the most distracting. I'll fool around with the file here to see if I can remove it without causing a worse problem.

On the tuning, the piano was tuned two days before the recording session, and was not touched in between. (My intent was to avoid complaints about the piano being out of tune. :lol:) I have both C and A tuning forks, but can't use them to check pitch now, as the piano was intentionally tuned sharp. By June we should have more springlike weather here allowing us to get back to A440 again. But when I get a moment I can at least check octaves, thirds and fifths in the treble to see if I can detect a problem up there. If so, I'm sure the tuner can return to adjust it.

That's quite a sheet music desk you devised!!

Thanks for listening!

David

Last edited by Rachfan on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
In which forum are your pictures of your improvised sheet music stand?

Right here, attached to my message. But you must be logged in to see them. This always gets me too, thinkin 'where the heck did the attachments go...' :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:22 pm 

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I discovered that I was logged out just before you replied about logging in. That feature can play tricks on you. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:57 pm 

Restless harmonies angrily circling above the tonal centre. At least that's what I gathered listening to this prelude.
I guess you must either give in or not play the piece at all. You totally got the mood, David. Deep sound and touch, quite cinematic. You have worked this piece in your mind a lot apparently.
I was hoping for a more unexpected ending though, but maybe that's too much to ask for, bearing in mind the time this was written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 pm 

Hi Pantelis,

I'm glad you enjoyed this prelude so much. It's a tough piece to play! Regarding the mood, I have to say that for awhile when I was first practicing this dark, brooding piece, I was having difficulty characterizing it. In particular, Catoire's vision was successfully eluding me. One thing I've learned about this composer is that he's not the least bit superficial. His thinking within his music runs very deep. It makes for extraordinary moments in his compositions for piano. I agree that the coda here is a signature Catoire ending, which makes it predictable. I think that he wanted to be sure that it trailed off into a whisper to bring the listener down from the extended and bombastic climax just preceding it. None of these Catoire preludes have been similar to one another, except perhaps for style of the codas. Each has its own story to tell. Thanks for listening, and I'm glad you like my approach to this prelude!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:49 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
This is how I always do it, except when I think I can get away with playing on (which is most always detected by one of the elephant-ears around here :lol: )

How? Are here members with elephant-ears? :lol: Well, better to have elephantlike ears as such ears, which are similar to those other animals with proboscis, isn´t it? (I mean those grunting proboscis-animals.) :wink: :lol:

Quote:
I spent some time creating a custom music stand that comfortably holds up to 6 pages, or more if you print'em smaller. See photos. Not exactly pretty but very convenient.

I really would like to have such a note-stand, too. Is there a possibility to purchase somewhere and somehow such a stand?

Last edited by musicusblau on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:51 pm 

Bravo, David, this is really a very expressive and deep performance. I feel it to be very ripe and subtle, so I have nothing to say than this is masterfully played IMO! Have my sincere congratulations to your CS! It´s very valuable, that we have it from you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:30 pm 

Hi Andreas,

Thanks so much for your flattering comments on my playing. I give credit to Catoire. There is a very deep train of thought on his part running through this prelude, which invites thoughtful playing in turn. Wonderful music! I haven't previously been in the business of doing complete sets. But I did this one because I loved all of the preludes so much. I still intend to Bortkiewicz to do more of his works, which might eventually result in a couple more complete sets there as well. Again, I'm glad you enjoyed my rendition here. It means a lot to me coming from you, an accomplished pianist.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:31 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Quote:
I still intend to Bortkiewicz to do more of his works, which might eventually result in a couple more complete sets there as well. Again, I'm glad you enjoyed my rendition here. It means a lot to me coming from you, an accomplished pianist.

Thank you so much, David. :D I really would like to encourage you to play more CS´s of Bortkiewicz. This would be an immeasurable valuable enrichment for this site and I suppose, there do not exist too much complete-recordings (or recordings generally) of his work. And I can´t imagine a pianist here, who is appropriater for this task than you, because you seem to feel congenial to his music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:10 pm 

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for that encouragement!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:17 pm 

David, congratulations for completing the set and for one more beautiful Catoire interpretation. I like very much the dark mood of this piece. I always enjoy seeing a real commitment like yours. Josef Hofmann wrote in his Piano Playing that pianists must strive to acquire the ability to form a tonal picture in their mind, rather than (or well before anyway) the note picture. And in your interpretations the tonal picture is always clearly conveyed to the listener.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:54 pm 

techneut wrote:
But nice if you can avoid this. I spent some time creating a custom music stand that comfortably holds up to 6 pages, or more if you print'em smaller. See photos. Not exactly pretty but very convenient.

How come you can read the score this way?? :shock:

I've seen concert pianists doing that...
but printing so small... and putting them so far from my eyes (those outer pages, for example)... I could never read them.
it would be just as a guideline for a piece I had "almost" memorized entirely.
hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:31 pm 

Hi Felipe,

I hear what you're saying. In my own case, I can easily read three pages strung along the music desk, and I can manage four, although there is some craning of the neck to view the outter two pages. I'm far sighted and wear my computer glasses (2X magnification) when reading music at the piano, because the focal length is considerably longer than the typical 16 inches assumed for reading glasses, that is, the normal distance at which one would hold a book, for example. So like you, I doubt that my eyesight could take in six pages, as the outter two would seem miles away to me. If Chris can see those easily such that it works for him, that's great, as it surely eliminates nettlesome page turns.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:26 am 

Hi Alphonso,

Somehow I missed your post here and neglected to reply. My apologies!

Thanks so much for your kind observations on my playing! Yes, in learning a new piece, I like to first characterize it (in this case I found it difficult at first though), then form a vision of it in my mind (usually from my own life experiences), then construct a musical interpretation accordingly, and finally express it through specific intentions during performance in order to convey it to the listener. Unfortunately, I don't possess a "big technique"; nevertheless, I most often find that even without that, if the vision (Hofmann's "tonal picture") and intents are both clear and present, I can still meet my goal of putting the music across to the listener satisfactorily. The music is in the score of course, but in my opinion it must stir the mind and emotions before it can be realized at the piano.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 pm 

I give you an air hug for uploading Catoire :o If i could pick one composer to try to restore, it may very well be him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:09 pm 

Hi Lukecash,

Your post made my day!! :D I've been struggling to help raise awareness of the Russian late romantic Georgy Catoire and his fine piano music. He was an extraordinary composer in my opinion. In his day, had he not been effectively blackballed by the Rimsky-Korsakov clique, if he had actively recitalized and promoted his own compositions, and had the Soviet Culture Ministry continued to print his scores, I believe that Catoire would be well known today and established in the standard repertoire. I believe that's apparent just from the kind and wonderful reception his music has gotten here at Piano Society by my colleagues. A couple of the other members even contributed recordings of this music as well. Marc-Andre Hamelin has released a CD of Catoire's music, and Koji Attwood has played Catoire's music in recitals. It seems so odd, though, that with all of the fine Russian pianists around, it falls to pianists in the United States (and me, an amateur!) and France to try to boost this composer! I've likewise posted a large number of recordings here of another nearly forgotten late romantic, Sergei Bortkiewicz.

If you'd like to hear the other three Catoire Preludes of Op. 17, you can go to the home page, click on Composers, and you'll find Catoire there, including the two other recordings made by the other members. I'm now busy at work on another Catoire opus.

Thanks for listening!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:29 pm 

Well you just made my day... :)