Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Organ time again !
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Recorded and posted some more short Bach organ works today. I hope you like them. The BWV 622 is IMO one of the most beautiful things ever written.

Bach - Chorale Prelude BWV 690 - Wer nun den lieben Gott lässt walten
http://server3.pianosociety.com/protect ... reemer.mp3

Bach - Orgelbüchlein - BWV 622 - O Mensch, bewein dein Sünde groß

Bach - Orgelbüchlein - BWV 639 - Ich ruf zu Dir, Herr Jesu Christ

Bach - Orgelbüchlein - BWV 643 - Alle Menschen müssen sterben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Really beautiful played!

I can agree about BWV 622. Extremely beautiful. It is difficult to compose a piece in dur (major) and keep the melancholic feeling and give the entire piece a sense of hope for future. That is how I refer to this masterpiece but words cannot describe it. Better to listen.

A swedish pop musician named Magnus Uggla, who generally writes rebell music in his very own style, wrote a piece which goes:
"Det strömmar skön musik från en mälarö kyrka
en pojke spelar bach en kväll när inte nån hör på.
Och orgeln är hans liv och musiken hans styrka
han önskar att bli kantor, vill i pappas fotspår gå."

This is swedish and cannot be translated with the beauty kept but I believe that this little boy (which the text is about) who plays Bach might play this piece. Anyone from Sweden who knows what I talk about? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:24 am 
Site Admin

I have replaced these recordings as I somehow managed to save them at low-quality 80 kbps. Also added reverb to make it sound a bit more like a good organ in a large church. I think they sound better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:08 pm 

Due to holiday preparations I did not found earlier the time and mood to listen closely to your organ recordings.

Like usual, one never gets disappointed listen to your music (regardless organ or piano).

Some overall things. First, I stored your recordings as you posted it a week before. Since you said that you put additional reverb now to the recordings I was curious and compared the first one (BWV690) with and without artificial reverb. With no doubt, the original recording has enough reverb. I am glad that I stored it, so I can listen to a really much better quality. No muddy sound, and it is already enough reverb, really. You play that clean and exact, that you do not need to put tons of additional reverb to make a pulp mass. Sorry to be that drastic, perhaps others have other opinions. But I am pretty sure, that the reverb in the church is already enough. Enough is enough!

The only thing, the original recording has much noise. Listen to the end of BWV690, that is very much noise, but no white noise, like something from digital processing . Maybe the Edirol shows some weaknesses for organ recordings?

To the different recordings (I now listen to the better ones, you know - the recordings without artificial reverb). :D

BWV690:
Very well played, I did not hear any mistakes. Maybe the right hand manual stands slightly too much out for my taste compared to the left hand and pedal (which I could not so well distinguish - maybe my headphones can't handle 16'' registers...)

BWV622:
Yes, you pointed me already to that great piece. It is normally played pretty slow, and you played it even a bit slower. Good so (beside the first notes, they are a bit to fast, but after that you remain in the groove). There were some wrong notes in the bass and left hand, according to your quality standard you can do better if you allow your more patience.

I told you already, that's the right piece for funerals, in my opinion. I said to my wife that I would be glad if it would be played on my funeral (no joke, serious meant).

One question: You played the pedal more or less non legato. Is it because you play mainly with toes instead alternating toes-heels (so technique wise induced) or do you think it should not be played legato in the pedal part?

I like the registration, however the remark to the not clearly disitinguished left hand remains.

BWV639:
Very good played too.
The left hand notes are in my score (Bärenreiter Urtext) tied together in groups of four. You phrase it in groups of two what gives the piece a total different character. Tied in groups of four, and played a bit faster, would please me probably even more. You put some additional trills, here and on BWV622 - so it seems you have a different score.

BWV643:
Surely not easy to play, the 16th notes in the pedal, but you managed it well! A bit bothering wrong note at the begin of the second part, and a couple of some slips, but overall it sounds good to me.

Overall a great avhievement, and you can manage it in that short amount of time. Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments Olaf. They are helpful as always. Yeah yeah, coupla wrong notes, I know... That wil remain whatever I try.

About the reverb, at first I too decided the natural sound was enough. Then I somehow changed my mind and decided it sounded better (more 'impressive' ) with Large Occupied Hall reverb. You may be right that it was the wrong thing to do. I'll have to listen to it on proper speakers.

That little BWV 690 - I can't really hear any noise !? I played this for the first time on saturday (on piano) and recorded it the next day. Seems I have not yet got the point about allowing sufficient preparation :lol:

Phrasing in bwv639 - yes it is phrased in groups of 4. I do not attempt to break them in half, but admittedly it sounds like that in some places. Will need to take care about that. Indeed it could be a touch quicker.

In the last bar of bwv622 I play a trill of my own invention. Apart from that I stick to the score (Wiener Urtext).

Yes, pedal played with toes except in some places where toe-heel is a necessity. I am not sure legato is a good thing on the organ, at least not for ther large pipes as they tend to keep the sound a bit longer so it easily gets blurred.