Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Beethoven op.16, First movement.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:22 am 

Hi, this is from my final chamber music exam. At the exam we played only the first movement of this quartet, although we've played it complete in concert. My chamber music partners, are string players from the school where I study. We have been playing together for about 10 months prior to this. One thing to note, is that the cellist and violinist are quite young. 17 and 16 respectively.

This quartet is the string version for Beethoven's wind quintet, written out by him. It has some things for the strings, but the piano part is extremely difficult, like most of Beethovens chamber music from the same period. He was a young virtuoso, and it shows. Octaves, thirds, leaps, very fast scales.... its like a piano concerto. And usually, the strings/winds, just want to play faster and faster, because they dont have anything. Check out the "Campanella" sections after the second theme, those leaps were a bitch. And for the scales, Im using very unorthodox fingerings and changed the rythm a bit, to be able to fit all those notes into a single measure. I like the piece very much though, its very good natured, full of little jokes.

Like most chamber music repertoire, the hardest part of all, was not being too loud, knowing when to accompany and when to stand out. When taking lessons with Pressler, he would yell at you for even looking too loud. :P

Beethoven - Op.16, Piano Quartet, I. Grave. Allegro ma non troppo

Post subject: Beethoven
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:38 am 

This is a very good performance. I would expect nothing less from a pupil a Menahem Pressler. I was at Indiana briefly and always looked forward to Beaux Arts Trio performances. I'm giving my age away when I mention the members at that time were Janos Starker, cello, Bernanrd Greenhouse, violin, and, of course, the great Menahem Pressler, piano. Pressler is famous for his beautiful pianissimo playing. He often speaks of the importance of the capability of playing pianissimo with refinement. Pressler is getting quite old and you will be part of his legacy. Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Very good and a true pleasure to listen to! But I do not know how to file it on the site. What do you think? Under Quintet for Piano and Wind or Quartet for Piano and Strings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:31 am 

I'd say piano quartet.

Thanks for the kind replies.

Post subject: Re: Beethoven op.16, First movement.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:55 pm 

DemhaOdnanref wrote:
Like most chamber music repertoire, the hardest part of all, was not being too loud, knowing when to accompany and when to stand out. When taking lessons with Pressler, he would yell at you for even looking too loud. :P

For LOOKING too loud!!! :shock: This made me laugh and think of silly ways to remedy that. Maybe a large colourful hat that one could quickly place on the head when it is time to be noticed, but could be quickly removed at times when the audience should be paying more attention to a different player. Of course, it would be most ideal for each member to have their own hat, which could present the problem of becoming quite costly, especially if wanting to be interesting by using a different set of hats for each piece. As well, a performer scrambling to repeatedly place and remove his hat while playing could pose more of a distraction to the audience than any one player simply playing a little too loud.

Last edited by Nicole on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:02 pm 

Maybe instead of a hat, a little red flag? Whenever you have the main voice, you've got to wave your little flag first. It would also make it easier on the audience to follow whats going on :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that is young Beethoven for you. You are chugging along amiably and then suddenly he springs the most devilish difficulties on you. He does that all the time.... part of the excitement I suppose. You are not fazed by it, nor are your young partners, who are very good indeed. An accomplished performance. I just wish you'd added some reverb as it sounds very dry and boxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:36 am 

The hall was a very difficult one. It was extremely dry. Adding reverb or anything beyond cutting out big chunks are far more than my abilities with audio editing software will allow :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

I put it under Beethoven and Chamber Music. I hope it works.