It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Ravel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:27 pm 

Ravel: Sonatine
Modere
Mouvement de Menuet
Anime

Please forgive the slips and page turning. I tried to fix the page turns with Audacity, but I need more practice at that. Does this my first time using Edirol sound any better? This is the best I can do at this time. I hope it's not too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:24 pm 

I can't comment on the piece. But what KPS did you have the Edirol set at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:56 am 
Site Admin

That is very good John. The few minor slips are nothing to apologize for as this is really a pretty difficult piece. You make nice sonorous sounds throughout. It could do with a little more Gallic refinement but that is a matter of time. The finale sounds a bit strained still.

Some observations:

1) In a few places the RH and LH do not attack at the same time. It's only slight but noticeable. I think that is in the first movement, you should hear it when you listen back.
2) Whenever you are requested to go a bit slower, you suddenly drop the tempo so dramatically so that it sort of plods on.
3) In the Menuet, in the ppp to ff section, your LH is not 'en dehors' as indicated. The LH melody must stand out there.
4) At the end of the Menuet, I think you need some pedal changes. It gets rather blurred.

The piano sound is not ideally pleasing, not sure if it's the instrument or the recording. Shame about the clipping at the end of the menuet.

But all in all a very commendable job. It must be great to be retired and have lots of time to practice and record. You are improving fast since you first came here !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I agree to Chris' suggestions and remark but overall, you keep the musical line very well throughout the 3 difficult movements. Actually, Ravel never played this Sonatine himself in public as he did not consider himself good enough. That gives you a hint of the difficulties. I have put them up on the site and I do think the sound quality itself is better this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:52 am 

I think that switching to 128 kps and playing around with the input volume and recorder location will have the desired results.

Where was the recorder located?

Post subject: Ravel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 pm 

Thanks, Chris and Robert, for your suggestions. I always scrutinize any constructive criticism the Piano Society provides. I usually re-record the works following the suggestions for my own records. I often hear considerable improvements. PS is a great asset to someone like me who has no teacher or other source of coaching. Chris, your comment that you can hear some improvement made my day. Thanks!

I exerted most of my energy and concentration in the first movement trying to even the 32nd note accompaniment to the melody. It was quite frustrating because I didn't completely succeed in playing them as evenly as intended. Sorry, Chris, but so far I haven't really noticed the LH and RH being out of sync. I just listened casually and didn't hear it. I'll listen more intently later. I know what you mean about the slower sections. I wasn't sure about how slow they should be. They sound a little too slow and draggy. That's easy to correct.

I really like the Menuet, especially because it is a relief to play between the other two more technically difficult movements. When I tried to play the LH melody ppp, I should have softened the RH more so the melody was more 'en dehors.' You're also correct about the blurred pedaling at the end of the Menuet. I was trying to use the sosentuto pedal and didn't catch the bass chords soon enough resulting in some blurring. No excuse for the clipping except I increased the input level since this movement is so soft. I didn't compensate for the forte ending resulting in the clip on the loudest chord. My bad.

The Anime movement was a b-tch to record. It seems everything went wrong. I spent one whole day trying to record it and ultimately posted one of the first attempts I had recorded two days earlier. Barking dogs, blaring horns, whooshing AC compressors, screaming sirens, and ringing telephones all contributed to the day's exercise in futility. I won't bore you with details about tangled fingers struggling between the RH and LH and repeated notes that are written to be sustained making them impossible to be repeated if they are sustained. (Did that make sense?) In spite of that trivia, the execution of this movement should improve with time.

Muchas gracias!

Post subject: Re: Ravel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
Sorry, Chris, but so far I haven't really noticed the LH and RH being out of sync. I just listened casually and didn't hear it.

Nah, out of sync is not what I implied. What I referred to are the "a Tempo" sections in the 1st mvt, the one on the second page and the one on the last line. The chords on the first beats are not always exactly together. It is ever so slight, and I am only nitpicking really ! But that is what we are here for :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John,
Sorry it took me so long to listen, here. I don't know this at all, so it was one of those, 'sit back and relax' kind of listening time.
All I can say is that you played very nicely. And the sound quality is so much better. Are you having fun with your new 'toy'? If you ever figure out how to edit out page turns, maybe you can coach me. My books are stuffed with loose copies of single pages of music so as to avoid the page turns.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: loose sheets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:18 pm 

Thanks, Monica, for listening. I realize that this piece is not exactly your cup of tea, but it does have a couple of melodic moments in it. Like you, I have lots of loose sheets I copied to avoid page turning. But what do you do when the piece is too long? For example, the last movement of the Sonatine is eight pages and I can't place that many sheets side by side.

Yes, I'm enjoying my new "toy" very much. The kbps (?) was set at 346 when I recorded Sonatine, and Juufa told me that changing it to 128 kbps would improve the sound. So I did that. I'll post something else soon and see if it's improved.

Post subject: Re: loose sheets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
The kbps (?) was set at 346 when I recorded Sonatine, and Juufa told me that changing it to 128 kbps would improve the sound. So I did that. I'll post something else soon and see if it's improved.

Aaahhh... did he now :roll: Or did you misunderstand ? The more kilobits per second (i.e. the lower the compression), the better the sound. 128 Kbps is generally considered too low (or too much compressed) to properly capture the full sound of a grand piano. Although for home recordings it is usually adequate. Using 346 kbps will produce mp3 files amost 3 times at large, so we do not want everyone to do that. I would suggest 160 or 192 kbps at most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have lots of loose sheets I copied to avoid page turning. But what do you do when the piece is too long? For example, the last movement of the Sonatine is eight pages and I can't place that many sheets side by side.

Do you remember the talk about cut and paste? I put as many pages that will fit up on the piano and then find a place where I can stop playing. Then I put the rest of the pages up.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com