Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: A much lesser known Chopin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:25 pm 

Hello all,

I thought, and thought, and thought, and thought... and have finally decided that I am going to post this clip of a lesser-known Chopin work. This is a live student performance of a few years back of the Chopin Bolero. For some reason, I decided to try to mix it up a bit that year and figured I'd give this work a whirl. Let me know what you think - I hope you enjoy! :D

Chopin - op.19, Bolero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi,
A few of us here do know this piece well. Having struggled through it many times, myself, but also listening to the pros play it, I can offer a few insights. First off, I think you played it too fast - I know it's a fast piece, but some places were just too fast and made you get sloppy - runs could be cleaner, a few weird notes popped out, and the sweet parts could be more lyrical if you take them down a notch. (could be just nerves, since it's live) And since this is an older recording, my comments won't matter, unless you plan on re-recording this. Overall, you play very well.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Very very good! It is extremely difficult to play this piece in a steady tempo because of the many fast runs, trills and variations. If one apply a lot rubato, which is very tempting in such bars, it gets a lot easier but hey, it is a dance and the dancers would probably not be happy about a rubating orchestra ;). Perhaps it is a little bit fast but otherwise, extremely good. It is up on the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:22 pm 

It's funny how much this one ran away with the tempo. This is by far the fastest I played that piece, and I remember my teacher reacting immediately to the tempo after the recital. It definately is definately something I look back and always think about re-learning but am never sure if it's appropriate for the average concert or recital.. do you hear it performed often?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

dubya wrote:
It definately is definately something I look back and always think about re-learning but am never sure if it's appropriate for the average concert or recital.. do you hear it performed often?

No, hardly ever. I think it's great for a recital. It's the same length as the Ballades and Scherzi, so why not? There's plenty of excitement and pretty parts in the piece.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com