Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Faure Barcarolle Op. 44
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:42 pm 

Hello all,

Here's another posting for you. I realize that this site is surprisingly lacking any music of Gabrielle Faure, and I hope I can be one who helps to change that. Since my teacher was a huge French music buff, I hope to help represent a seemingly forgotten composer. I hope you enjoy this performance of Faure's 4th Barcarolle, Op. 44. Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,

(P.S. You may notice a really unfortunate clunk towards the end :(, but I just had to keep it anyway.)

Fauré - Op.44, Barcarolle no.4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 am 
Site Admin

You are quite right about the lack of recordings from Fauré on PS (Piano Society) and I am happy for your submissions which is of absolutely top class! I added this text on the site when I put up your recording:
"Fauré composed thirteen Barcarolles which are compositions imitating a Venetian gondolier's song. He is the master of the genre and these works are significant for anyone studying Fauré."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Faure idiom seems difficult to assimilate for many pianists. Which might explain the relative unpopularity of his piano music, where restraint is usually more important than virtuosity.
Lovely played this one, especialy the end (even despite that wrong note there, it's not a big deal).

If there is one thing I might suggest it is a little more ebb and flow (especially apt for a Barcarolle, I think). You are a buit strict in tempo, and there is little air (water, if you like :) ) between the phrases.

I keep planning to record some Faure too, but somehow it never happens. We must indeed have more of this wonderful music. So good you came in with this one !