Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mazurkas Completed :)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

At last I recorded the Chopin Mazurkas Op.33 set, thus completing my Mazurka cycle. Some of the earlier recordings need to be redone but these are allright I think. Except that the Op.33 No.2 would not come out quite the way I wanted... damn trills :x

Chopin - Mazurka Op.33 No. 1 in G sharp minor
Chopin - Mazurka Op.33 No. 2 in D major
Chopin - Mazurka Op.33 No. 3 in C major
Chopin - Mazurka Op.33 No. 4 in B minor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:55 pm 

So why don't you give yourself the sought-after "Complete Recording by..." box? So when will you start the Polonaise cycle? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

I know you don't want me to do this, and I already know what you're going to say, but I'm doing it anyway.

Will you marry me? :lol:

Ok, now to the music -

#1 - I'm sure this is a difference in scores, but I show no tie on the D-sharp at bar 5. Also, I noticed you dropped an octave at bar 12 of the appassionato section. I don't have that in mine, and never heard it that way, but I liked it.

#2 - Nothing major, except could have used more ff on the ff part. Trills were not so bad.

#3 - I have forte at the first key change. Also, 5th bar from the end, I have a quarter note C on LH on the third beat.

#3 - All good. Best out of the bunch.

Good job on all of these!

Jokes aside, congratulations on your accomplishment here. Very, very impressive.
All hail to the Mazurka King!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Will you marry me? :lol:

Oh allright then... if it will shut you up about it :mrgreen:

Thanks for the support. I don't recognize any of the alternative readings you mentioned (Schirmer again isn't it ? ) and I think I play what is written in the Peters edition. I agree about the dynamics though, they could have been better as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
So why don't you give yourself the sought-after "Complete Recording by..." box? So when will you start the Polonaise cycle? :D

Hm, haven't thought about that yet. Some other cycles to complete first....

Post subject: The Mazurka King
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:22 pm 

Congratulations, Chris. I noticed you're halfway through the Szymanowski Mazurkas too - so I guess that's coming next. And just so you know, the domain name "MazurkaSociety.com" is still available in case you want to branch out.

Tom P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:45 am 
Site Admin

Incredible well done and extremely impressing! I have no idea how you do it but I hope that when I am in your age, I might have more space in life to produce more recordings too...so this is how one do to marry beautiful women ;). I will never forgive you two if I am not invited to the wedding. What shall I play for you?

So once you are now completed, or at least you believe so yourself, I just emailed you my collection of 10 posthumous mazurkas. Record it and you will have the most complete recording set of Chopin's Mazurkas :).

Post subject: Re: The Mazurka King
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:48 am 
Site Admin

tpascale wrote:
Congratulations, Chris. I noticed you're halfway through the Szymanowski Mazurkas too - so I guess that's coming next.

Hm yes, that is in the back of my mind. But they are so damn difficult that it will take lots of time and hard work. Bit scared of them, tell the truth. And I think the ones I have done need to be re-recorded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:55 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Incredible well done and extremely impressing! I have no idea how you do it but I hope that when I am in your age, I might have more space in life to produce more recordings too...so this is how one do to marry beautiful women ;). I will never forgive you two if I am not invited to the wedding. What shall I play for you?

That famous Mazurka by Schuber, please :lol:

robert wrote:
So once you are now completed, or at least you believe so yourself, I just emailed you my collection of 10 posthumous mazurkas. Record it and you will have the most complete recording set of Chopin's Mazurkas :).

Ah nice.... 12 more just as I thought I was done. But ok, I'll take these too. They look pretty simple compared to the 'real' ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
robert wrote:

That famous Mazurka by Schuber, please :lol:
Just name a date and a place and make sure there is a nice grand there.
techneut wrote:
robert wrote:

Ah nice.... 12 more just as I thought I was done. But ok, I'll take these too. They look pretty simple compared to the 'real' ones.

These are reproductions from sketches more than finished compositions and has more of a historical value than musical. Chopin would for sure not be proud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:02 am 

All 4 recordings sound great to me! Also, from the composition they are so different in the mood, and you captured that distinct mood for every Mazurka individuel, they sound different and interersting that way.
Also no need to whine about those trills in the 2nd Mazurka, they are ok so and I also have to admit that your ornaments in the 4th Mazurka sound more profound and also much bolder to me than my attempt of that.

It is so that in the beginning of your Mazurka cycle I was here and there a bit disapointed because I feared that you churn out Mazurka by Mazurka on a daily basis with same interpretation. This was not the case - my personal feeling is that with every new Mazurka opus your interpretations got more and more better, more subtile and also more freely regarding rubato for appropriate places. Your 33/4 sounds beautiful to me.

Thanks God, that Robert has sent you homework for 10 more Mazurkas, so we get some more Breemer interpretations of Chopin Mazurkas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:31 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
It is so that in the beginning of your Mazurka cycle I was here and there a bit disapointed because I feared that you churn out Mazurka by Mazurka on a daily basis with same interpretation.

There are quite some that I feel do not pass today's standards (both mine and those of PS) and should be re-recorded. But recently I have put considerably more effort in them and it seems to pay off :D

MindenBlues wrote:
Thanks God, that Robert has sent you homework for 10 more Mazurkas, so we get some more Breemer interpretations of Chopin Mazurkas!

Haha well, after Chopin I have Mazurkas by Szymanowski, Dvorak, and Balakirev to worry about - as well as some by Liadov which I did not do (properly) yet . It will be Mazurka time for a while longer I'm afraid :lol: