Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: A Clementi sonatina rewritten by Satie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:46 pm 

Satie's Sonatine Bureaucratique - a take off of the well known Clementi Sonatina. In the score Satie wrote his own programme to the music - about some guy in a suit going to work: "Off he sets ... he makes his way merrily to the office, shuffling as he goes ...". And during the slow movement: "He reflects on his promotion ... he hopes to move next quarter. He has a flat in mind - provided the promotion comes through !" Of course this makes no sense. Satie is known for that. But it's a charming piece nonetheless - I think Clementi would have gotten a kick out of it.

Satie - Transcription of a Clementi Sonatina, Sonatine Bureaucratique

Post subject: Satie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:05 pm 

It's not a great masterpiece, but I enjoyed it. As usual you performed it very well.

Note: From the sound of the bureaucrat got his promotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:54 pm 

I agree with Mr. Robson, it's nothing too special. But Satie was one of a kind, often strange, almost too strange at times. You handle it well, it sounds like it comes from the classical era, but has a hint of late Romantic- early Modern flavor.

Best,
-JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 am 
Site Admin

Who is this Satie guy? (kidding)
I usually like this kind of thing. Not so sure about this one, though. Except the last movement. This is pretty good and your playing is great. I think I'd have to listen to this a couple times for the appreciation to sink in. And I'm not sure if Clementi would like it. To me, he seems like a kind of serious type of man - one who insists on straight tempo, perfect technique, and the like. And the way he treated poor John Fields. If Clementi had a sense of humor, it doesn't show in any biographies. Oh well, I'm glad you posted this. lt's fun to see traditional pieces played slightly askew, or even upside down.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:19 am 

I loved this! So refreshing to hear. The original Clementi Sonatina is at Grade 3 level of the 10 grades that preceed the ARCT teaching diploma here in Canada. I hear it played the "correct way" so many times when I teach it every year. This was a great change from the everyday.

Some of my more mischievous teenage students have joked about having enough money one day to play an exam and completely deviate from the score, just for kicks as a bit of rebellion against our Royal Conservatory here. I could see this piece being something they might want to play by memory to mess with a stoic examiner's head a bit, after handing him a score of the original Clementi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:27 am 
Site Admin

That was an interesting transcription of which existence I was unaware of! Refreshing and it is up on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Even though this Sonatine Bureaucratique freely borrows the rhythms, themes, and the overall structure of the ubiquitous Clementi Op.36 No.1, do not believe this should be filed as a Clementi transcription. Basically Satie is just frolicking around and taking the p*ss, and there is more than enough original material here to classify it as an original composition. So I think the name should be changed to the actual title.

As usual, great class, Tom. Great that you lavish such care also on lesser-known and less great repertoire.