Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Mazurkas - a follow-up with more
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:51 pm 

To everyone who had the chance to see my other mazurka posting - and many thanks for the replies - I have decided to post an earlier recording of some earlier mazurkas. Here are Op. 6, No's 1 & 2. I can't wait to hear your thoughts and feelings about the performance. Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Like Olaf said on the other post, everybody sure does interpret the mazurkas differently, and I did enjoy your style on both of these. I have a question about your 6/1 - Don't know whether it is written a certain way in your score, or if you are just doing it in a unique way, but it involves measure 4, 12, and those same places later on. I think I hear an extra grace note or some kind of 'flicking' note and I'm not even sure which hand does it. I've never heard that before, but I do like it.
Also, what kind of piano is this? It sounds digital to me, but I'm usually wrong. The recording is so clear.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:53 pm 

Hi there - if you're referring to the downbeats of mm. 4, 12, etc. it is actually a tied triplet from the measure before, but since I usually push the tempo a bit there it comes across slightly fast/clipped/grace-note sounding. It's probably something I should consider slowing down a bit so that there's less discrepancy about what's happening - thanks for pointing that out, pianolady!

It really is remarkable how many contrasting interpretations of these works exist. I guess they really do bring out the inner-most imagination of the pianist which is why it's a shame they aren't played more often! I am actually playing a Steinway grand here (7') with a large mic close by, but since there's no added reverb it sounds a lot clearer and digital than normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice and tasteful performances of these two Mazurkas. Perhaps a bit understated, IMO more could be done with the dynamics. They do not sound as well prepared as the Nocturne and the Rach prelude but still very good. I am not sure I like your mannered little jumps on the seconds beats of the Op.6 No.1. But then, Mazurkas are very personal and we all have our own idea about them.
Piano Society, The Home of the Mazurka :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 am 
Site Admin

These two are up.