Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Schumann Walszenen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:29 pm 

I played these a year ago at a public exam, for the first time. Like all my other recordings from these exams, the microphone is stuck right in the piano, which accounts for the overly bright sound.

I don't want to put too many recordings up at the same time, so heres the last piece (Abschied, farewell) Ill add the other pieces on this thread eventually. Its live, so there are a couple of inevitable slips, like always. to date, I havent had a completely flawless performance of anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Lovely! I can't comment on much, since I've never played this. But I think the piano sounded nice. Especially the low notes. Good job bringing out the melody over the busy accompaniment part, which was also nice and smooth.
Quote:
Its live, so there are a couple of inevitable slips, like always. to date, I havent had a completely flawless performance of anything.

I know the feeling.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Schumann
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:00 pm 

Congratulations on a very good live performance. You brought out the melody very nicely as Pianolady said. Was this a performance for a school or private recital?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:11 am 

It was a public exam at my school. We have them every 2 or 3 months, so the programme you play has been worked on for about 2 or 3 months.

Here are a couple of other pieces from the same performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Admin

This is my all-time favourite Schumann set which I have thought of recording many times. Very good performaces considering they are live and preparation was not very long. Yes, some flaws but none too distracting except for the two unfortunate stumbles in the Abschied (these sound like they could be easily edited out if you wanted to). I think this wistful piece could go quite a bit slower btw.
You are rather too agressive in the 'Hunter on the lookout' and the 'Haunted spot' is also a bit too strenuous for my taste. But that is all very personal (I feel strongly about this cycle). Great playing by all standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:23 am 

I don't like to edit my live performances. Thats the way I play -shrug-, Ive got to live with it :P

I tend to overstate things the first time I play them. Now that I look back on these performances they too seem a bit overblown. Ill be playing them again in a months time, and by now they've had time to mature. Ill try to record the concert and post them here again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:53 am 
Site Admin

DemhaOdnanref wrote:
I don't like to edit my live performances. Thats the way I play -shrug-, Ive got to live with it :P

Indeed, editing should not be a habit. All the same, cutting out a hesitation or stumble is quite acceptable I think. Nice when it can be avoided though.

DemhaOdnanref wrote:
I tend to overstate things the first time I play them. Now that I look back on these performances they too seem a bit overblown. Ill be playing them again in a months time, and by now they've had time to mature. Ill try to record the concert and post them here again.

Ok, I won't put these up then and wait for the Real Thing. If you play the entire set in a concert, remember to take a 4-5 seconds pause between movements. That will help in cutting it up in parts.