Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin and Liszt Etudes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:51 am 

Hey everyone, I recently recorded La Campanella, Chopin Etude No.1 and 4.
The Ballade no.1 by Chopin I'm working on needs more polish and theres still lots more I have to learn so I would record that later.
In the meantime, please listen to these pieces and comments are appreciated. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:46 am 

Your repertoire and the manner you played show very profound technical ability, it nether does sound strained or stiff to me. Also, the bad recording quality cannot hide your expressive playing.

So, your playing ability is beyond what I can play, I never played those Etudes and also not La Campanella. Beside a minor slip at the end on 10/4 both etudes are really strong recordings in my opinioin. Considering the technical challenges of La Campanella it is good playing too, but there were also some audible mistakes, all not big ones. Since I did not play those pieces, and did not follow with score I cannot say something regarding reading errors and such things. However there was a long trill in La Campanella what was really not very even. But, hey, as I said, that is so beyond what I could play so that it is better and more indicated that I shut up on this!

If you could manage to record with better quality, would be great. There was clipping, and why on earth do you cut the endings so brutal on every take instead let the last chord ring out completely. At least that has nothing to do with cheap or expensive recording gear.

Ver good playing all together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:49 am 

Sorry I was too impaitent, I try to press the stop button as soon as I hit my last note.
The trill for La Campanella is a very difficult for me when I first played that piece, it still is difficult to play :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:31 pm 

Your technique on the 10/4 etude is impressive, but there are some wrong notes that I'm wondering if they are mistakes or reading errors. A few were noticeable as early as the first phrase, particular the D# dominant 7th chord on the 4th beat of measure 4 - you played an F# rather than an Fx in the right hand which made it a minor 7th. The other errors were notes of enough brevity to be overlooked, but that pivot chord is rather important.

On the 10/1 etude, I think it's especially important to change pedal in places like measures 11-12 - the harmony of measure 11 just doesn't sound nice on top of the harmony of measure 12. There are several places throughout the etude where the same rule would apply. I definitely understand the tendency to use to much pedal, though - it's one of my weaknesses!

I won't comment on the Liszt since I'm not familiar with it, other than to say, good job! I am jealous of the capabilities of your fingers. :)

Oh yes...and the recording sound quality does not do justice to your playing, which is quite unfortunate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:53 pm 

Thanks, I was wondering what you think about the quality of the Piano not recording.
Could you compare this Piano to my older piano?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:08 am 

It's sort of hard to accurately judge the piano when the quality of the recording is suffering so badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:06 am 
Site Admin

While your playing is really good, the quality of the sound is not making it justice. I will not put them up as they are right now. Isn't there any chance for you to lend or buy recording equipment and redo them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:11 am 

I'm really sorry about recording equipment, but there is a chance that I might get a new recording equipment in few months. I'm sorry again :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Very impressive playing, especially in the Chopin Etudes. The Campanella you have not played as long apparently, some slips and uncertainties, no doubt a matter of time before you have that down perfectly too. Such a shame that the bad recording (not the piano itself, I think) makes it hard to hear everything to advantage. Yes if you can get some proper recording gear that would be great. You'll need to take care it does not clip in the forte passages like here.

Post subject: Etudes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:13 pm 

Your Chopin Etudes were executed very well both technically and musically. I always enjoy listening to people's performance of the Etudes. These works are very advantageous for the development of technique. I practice Op. 10, Nos. 1, 4, 8, 12, and Op. 25, Nos. 1 and 2 as often as I can. Even playing through them slowly improves one's technique...in "my" humble opinion. I returned to playing the piano less than two years ago after many years of not playing at all. I couldn't even "feel" an octave without looking at the keys. Slow steady practice of the Chopin Etudes has improved my playing tremendously. Of course, I still have a very long way to go, but I try to enjoy the journey.

You did a good job on these difficult works. Your piano itself sounded very goo to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 pm 
Impressive!! you are a very advanced player. I can only wish to play as good as you. The quality of the recording aside, the quality at which you play is exceptional. Well done!

Post subject: Re: Etudes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
Your piano itself sounded very goo to me.

C'mon John, it's not that bad ... you can still hear all the notes :P