Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Prokofieff / Brylka / Janacek / Cesar Franck
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 am 
Hallo

My Name is Markus Brylka and i am Composer, Pianist and Pianoteacher in Germany
this is my first post and i like to let you listen to my recording of the 1st Piano Concerto of Prokofieff i made in the version for two pianos.

What do you think about it?

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 am 

Markus, is this recording based on a midi file or real hands work?

To me it sounds like a midi file played back with digital piano sound, and that is not what I like to listen to that much. But I may be wrong about the assumption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:00 am 
Hallo Olaf,

i played the pianopart and the orchestral part on my Kawai CA-9, a digital piano, so thats why it could be sound a bit like midi but it´s not, i played it with my hands :wink:

Attached you can find another 3 pieces of music played with this instrument, composed by me.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

That must be the most aggressively brilliant-sounding Prokofiev One I ever heard. It really sounds suspiciously like MIDI, especially in the glaring over-the-top trills and tremoloes. Not really very nice to listen to. Also some of the dynamic changes sound pretty artificial. Have you got any other classical repertoire on offer, perhaps played on an acoustic piano ? I could not find anything else
on your website.

Nice hip site BTW, and great songs you and Cordula do together. She has a very sexy voice if I may say so.

Of the additional 3 items I like the "37sec". Sounds like a tribute to Adams or Reich. A very pleasing piano sound, worlds apart from the glassy sound in the Prokofiev. The Elegie sounds like some eerie track from a PC game like Unreal or Turok. It certainly doesn't belong on this site (we do not do MIDI or other electronically rendered music). The Pittoresque is nice but a bit inconsequential, both in the thematic material and the structure, and the way it seems to end in mid sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:39 pm 

Pettsson wrote:
i played the pianopart and the orchestral part on my Kawai CA-9, a digital piano, so thats why it could be sound a bit like midi but it´s not, i played it with my hands :wink:

To be more precise, I don't doubt that you played with your hands, as this is also a possibility to create a midi file. There was too much trouble at this site here already with faked recordings so I think it is in your interest to remove doubts about whether it is a real direct recording or the output is based on a prepared and edited midi file. The most persuasive possibilty would be to offer a recording with a real piano, what Chris already suggested, or a video.

Frankly said, those crystal clear error free waterfall runs and super fast and evenly trills are maybe possible with a real recording by world class players. However if one devotes so much energy to get a piece to that level of perfection that you reached on that Prokoview concerto, I simply cannot understand why you do not record it on a real piano. Personally, I prefer a slightly detuned old upright before every digital piano, especially if it comes to post recordings, but that might be only personal preferences. I don't know of any worldclass pianist with that technical ability your Prok. concerto shows, who perfers a digital keyboard. There is something strange here to me, excuse me for saying that so frankly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

I second that. We are by now very wary about any experiments with digital recording as it becomes impossible to tell what is real and what is not. Rather have something a bit less demonstratively brilliant, and even the odd clonker, to remind us that piano playing is human's work. There is no need to outdo even the greatest pianists in a ferocious technical display.

Also, ultimately, a recording should sound good, or at least should sound like a piano. This one doesn't - while strangely, that "37sec", on the same instrument, does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:52 am 
Thank you very much for your opinion, i will also give you some of my "old" recordings i made few years ago on my Grotrian Steinweg Grand Piano. What you think about electronically recorded music i can follow up on.

Unfortunately for the moment i do not have the space for a Grand Piano what would be definitely the better choice :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:17 pm 
Now you can listen to the recording from the "Sonata I.X.1905" of Leos Janacek i made in the year 1999 played on my Grand Piano by that time.

It is recorded on a tape and my piano wasn´t good tuned so the pitch isn´t correct but i hope you can enjoy it a bit.

P.S. i recognized that i made a mistake in the posting with the three pieces "elegie", "pittoresque" and "37sec". I loaded up a midifile of another elegie but now i have sent the correct file, played with the Kawai CA-9. Sorry for that mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well this is something different indeed. Does sound to me like the genuine old-fashioned acoustical thing. Even though the sound quality and piano tuning are not optimal this gives far more pleasure than that glaringly digital Prokofiev.

I have great respect for anybody mastering this cruelly difficult sonata. Janacek's utter disregard for the pianistic makes for some very awkward and taxing writing, notably in the divided-hand ostinato on the first page. You handle that very well indeed. Overall this may not be the most refined performance - but it's not as if Janacek must sound refined, so no complaints about the odd wart as long as you capture the spirit as well as you do here. This is a disturbing and fascinating piece.

So obviously you are a very accomplished and enterprising classical pianist. You must be doing this just for private satisfaction, as I can not find any classical recording by you on the Internet - which puzzles me a bit. Your website on http://www.opus200.de/links.html seems all but braindead, most of the links do not work and there is no reference to any classical recording.

Something else that bothers me. Why on earth do the ID3 tags of these two mp3's say:

Artist : Makesnd
Album: Makesnd Cassette
Genre: Electronica

I did not know about Makesnd, but on the web I read:

Quote:
Makesnd Cassette is an album of painfully minimal house music that surprisingly manages to balance its experimental slant with credible efforts at establishing a groove. With the occasional wave of atmospheric synth sounding quite lonely among these desolate productions, the 15 untitled tracks here comprise just a few pointed beats, rhythmic effects, and static or noise -- each of which is pruned down to mere split-seconds of sound. The jarring effect of computer-enhanced experimentation occasionally recalls the pioneering work of Oval and Pan sonic, though the SND duo's style sounds quite original.

I have no doubt you are an integer musician and a good pianist, but these are strange things to behold... Pardon my inquisiveness but we like to know whom we are dealing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 pm 
Hallo Chris,

thank you for your patience, i will answer your question about the "makesnd": I converted my wavfile with an mp3pro converter and after i have done that on my desktop of WinXP these strange id3tags were added, why this happened i don´t know.

I visited my homepage http://www.opus100.de and recognized that after my last change of the provider i didn´t fix up the links, but i have done it this evening so all musicfiles are now online again (only in real-audio format)

Since last year i composed much music for the site http://www.zann-music.com and played with my companion in life Cordula her songs so i missed to actualize my own page :?

I play in fact the music only for my satisfaction and on my digital piano i recorded the "Paganinivariations for two pianos" of Lutoslawski, the "1st Prokoviev Concerto", the "Prelude, Choral and Fugue" of Cesar Franck, some Preludes of Debussy and Rachmaninoff, "Peter and the Wolf" of Prokoviev (pianoversion without speaker), the "Sonata I.X.1905" and "In the mist" of Leos Janacek.
The "rite of spring" i began and stopped because of it´s difficulties and the version of Fazil Say is so perfekt i thougt i could never top this or do it equal.

When recording at my homestudio i normally play parts of the music and put them together on the computer like a sound engineer if the pieces are too heavy to play in one session or if i need two pianos. I think this is not bad for the music. I don´t give official concerts till now because i have two other jobs to do and there is no time to make concerts. I never made a CD for the public, with my companion in life we are making our first CD but it´s still in progress but you can listen to it on our homepage you found (zann-music.com)

I hope i could clarify some of your questions which i´m able to relate.

One of my favorites in piano music is the "Prelude, Choral and Fugue" of Cesar Franck, i will attache it to this post and hope you and the other members at pianosociety.com can enjoy it. It is also played on my digital piano. If i have the possibility to make a video of me at the piano i will send it to you.

with kind regards
Markus Brylka
http://www.opus100.de
http://www.zann-music.com

webmaster of the "International Allan Pettersson Society" at
http://www.iapg.de