Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mendelssohn: Songs without words
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:39 pm 

op.30/1, op.30/6 and op 67/2.
The greatest melodists: Chopin, Bellini, Schubert, Mendelssohn and Korngold.
And Cole Porter, and Jerome Kern and others. Here there is only Mendelssohn.

Mendelssohn - Songs without words, Op.30 Book 2, No.1 in E-flat major
Mendelssohn - Songs without words, Op.30 Book 2, No.6 in F-sharp minor
Mendelssohn - Songs without words, Op.67 Book 6, No.2 in B-flat major
All best,
Sandro "Sarrasani" Bisotti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

At first I was very confused by the name here. Sandro, how much of those cocktails have you had? :) btw: I was first introduced to these beer/pop drinks when I was in Germany a couple years ago. I thought it to be really strange, but tasty.
Anyway, I have to go make dinner, now, so I only had time to listen to one piece; the Venetian Gondola Song, since I too was just playing this the other day.
Your playing is very nice. I could have used a little more pianissimo in the marked parts, but you have great trills. And at the very end - second to last measure - I have a three-note chord F#, A, C#. I think you played just a 5th interval, but that could be just a difference in scores. Nice job! I'll listen to the rest later.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I am so relaxed right now. Just listened to the first and third piece. I don't know these, so all I can say is that this is a great start to the morning - looking out into my garden, sipping coffee and listening to beautiful piano music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:38 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Oh, I am so relaxed right now. Just listened to the first and third piece. I don't know these, so all I can say is that this is a great start to the morning - looking out into my garden, sipping coffee and listening to beautiful piano music.

Don't forget the pleasurable sounds of the Cicadas! (Good thing I live in Wisconsin...it's too cold for them so pretty much they stop at the Wisconsin-Illinois border :wink: )

I agree. Nice playing, there were a few moments of playing a note too quietly or too harshly which does not fit the surrounding notes. I hope I made sense. But overall good playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:

Don't forget the pleasurable sounds of the Cicadas! (Good thing I live in Wisconsin...it's too cold for them so pretty much they stop at the Wisconsin-Illinois border :wink: )

They haven't popped out where I live, yet. All the reports said that they were supposed to at 9:05 pm on Monday night, so of course my boys and I went outside with flashlights to look for them. Not a single one. We even went into the woods but saw nothing except other goofballs with flashlights wandering around looking for them too. Now all they're saying is that cicadas are coming soon. So...so far, it's quiet.

Post subject: Mendelssohn
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm 

You're right about the melodists and these were three good examples of Mendelssohn melodies. They are so lyrical and relaxing to listen to. Thanks for posting them. You played them very well.

Post subject: Re: Mendelssohn
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:29 pm 
John Robson wrote:
You're right about the melodists and these were three good examples of Mendelssohn melodies. They are so lyrical and relaxing to listen to. Thanks for posting them. You played them very well.

Too much kind, Robert and Pianolady and Juufa. I think that these pages are important lessons
of "making melody" at the piano (with different sounds for melody, bass and harmonic parts).
More advanced in this kind of technique, and very useful and also here wonderful music, there are
the Liszt's transcriptions (from Mendelssohn too) of many composers' lieder.
As an "amateur", and an amateur with small hands, I find many of them very difficult.
But not all of them, someone is approachable. But, these Mendelssohn's songs are a perfect example of beautiful music that an amateur can play well or very well.
I've read they are one of the first example (or the first) of "confession" in music. Without words,
or with secret words.
It's a plasure to find al these friends; what a pity this ocean between us!

All best and thank you by heart,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:20 am 
Site Admin

No need to thank me yet but perhaps after this post ;).
These are really songs but where the piano should make the singing so it is important to bring out the top melody clear and steady and really "tell" the story with the piano. You do it really well Sandro and I have now put them up on the site.

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:17 am 

These three songs are very nicely played. I don't know what else to say except that they sound beautiful. Keep up the nice work
Rich