Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Beethoven - Sonata op.14 no.1
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:55 pm 

I would have better liked to post the complete sonata, but I cannot record at the weekend and the rondo's really tricky for me. So here are only the first two movements. Please comment! :)

Beethoven - Op.14 no.1, Piano Sonata no.9 in E major, I. Allegro
Beethoven - Op.14 no.1, Piano Sonata no.9 in E major, II. Allegretto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I listened to the 1st movement (no patience for the slow part right now :oops: )
Well played, technically not much to nag about except the LH scales in the recapitulation, which are fumbly and should have deserved more practice.
But I'd say it is all a bit tame and does not leap and hop about as young Beethoven should. A bit more fun and sparkle would com in handy, and then you'll have a good thing going.

Post subject: Beethoven
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:36 pm 

I enjoyed listening to both movements. "So near yet so far"---only one movement to go. You followed the score exactly as far as I'm concerned; you played very accurately. I would like to see more dynamics to make it "leap and hop along" and have "a bit more fun and sparkle" as Chris suggested. I think of Beethoven as being the king of sforzandos, so I'd like to hear the dynamics more exaggerated.
You have it learned. Perhaps playing it for a while will give you a more confident feel to your playing. Good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:26 pm 

Here's my recording of the rondo. The best I can do.

Besides the playing, what do you think about the recording itself? I mean quality, reverb etc. I'm always eager to experiment with Audacity. :)

Thank you for your replies. I'll comment them later because I'm running out of time. :twisted:

Beethoven - Op.14 no.1, Piano Sonata no.9 in E major, III. Rondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:17 am 
Site Admin

I believe you did really well. Perhaps one would want a bit more dramatic changes, more use of dynamics but I think that the sound quality hides some of that. But overall, a really good job and it is obvious you spent a lot time of this sonata.

It is up on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:29 pm 

Great!

Regarding the dynamics, I think it is both the recording and my playing. On the one hand, the digital doesn't give you the forte of a real acoustic piano, even with the strongest attack. On the other hand, this extensive repeating during a recording session seems to iron out all the dynamic edges, at least with me. But I guess constant repeating is inavoidable for most amateurs like me due to all these technical limitations.

Regarding the piece itself, I must recommend this sonata to everybody here. It turned out to be such an enormously rewarding piece, both technically and musically (at least it was to me). And so fun to play. Of course, it isn't terribly demanding, but you seldomly get more music per measure, in my opinion. :D

Nevertheless, I think it took me a bit too much time to record so I'll return to easier pieces. Maybe a bit too stressful for a freetime activity.

@ Chris, John

Gah, I don't like the way you reduce (the young) Beethoven to a foolish king of sforzandos and sparkle. :cry: Although you are right about the tameness of the first movement, I hadn't expected such a simplification. I know you aren't that simple-minded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:

Gah, I don't like the way you reduce (the young) Beethoven to a foolish king of sforzandos and sparkle. :cry: Although you are right about the tameness of the first movement, I hadn't expected such a simplification. I know you aren't that simple-minded!

It's not simple-minded to use descriptive words and generalizations. It's right on the mark. We don't all have the time necessary to analyze a recording thorougly by describing where you should use more staccato, more legato, less pedal, better crescendoes, etc...You should just be glad that someone listened and cared to comment.

And now, I know I'm late, but I think you played these very nicely. I did hear good dynamics, big deep low chords and light, cheerful right hand runs, although maybe some of the turns (if there any, - not looking at the score) could be quicker, and no bad notes. And I like that you recommend this piece, because it helps when one is wondering which piece to try out next. I've played through the most popular Beethoven pieces but not this one, so maybe one day I'll look at it.

But there is one more thing. I heard a weird sound at the 2:47 spot on the 1st movement. Like the sound when you stick you finger inside your cheek and flick it out so that it makes a 'pop'. Or like a cork popping out of a bottle. Maybe I'm hearing things, but that's what it sounded like.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:
@ Chris, John

Where did we say foolish king, and what with "reducing" ?

It is so wrong to expect sforzandos and sparkle ? Just how is that a simplification and make us appear simple-minded ? Does (young) Beethoven have to sound profound and serious all the time ?

Questions, questions.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:11 am 

pianolady wrote:
Chaotica wrote:

It's not simple-minded to use descriptive words and generalizations. It's right on the mark. We don't all have the time necessary to analyze a recording thorougly by describing where you should use more staccato, more legato, less pedal, better crescendoes, etc...You should just be glad that someone listened and cared to comment.

Oh, sorry, I guess I was unclear. With "simplification", I was only referring to the Beethoven thing.

Thank you for your observations! Now you mention it, I hear that sound, too. It's one of these Windows pop-up sounds that appeared when I was taking the recording from the digital to the computer. I'll pay more attention next time. You really have sensitive ears, it seems!

@ Chris

I didn't want to sound too serious, particularly when saying "foolish king" or whatever. Pure exaggeration! I was simply a bit annoyed and maybe offended when you wanted "fun and sparkle" in such a lyrical movement while seemingly referring to the old "young Beethoven" stereotype: a powerful guy with wild hairs, playing sforzandi all the time etc. Of course, there's something true about that, but you should remember he was also a professional musician and I think one should therefore seperate the works and the composer's character, mostly. Same for any other composer, imho. Not every emotion in a nocturne by Chopin has its equivalent in the composer itself. So even a young composer seeking for attention and applause can sometimes cold down and write something lyrical and non-impressive.

It's difficult to explain that in English for me so it's my fault if you cannot follow me. I just hope you can. :|