Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Maurice Ravel: Valses nobles et sentimentales
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:45 pm 

here my recording of Ravel: Valses nobles et sentimentales.
From the same concert as the Beethoven op. 110 Sonata.

Hope, you will have pleasure to listen...

Julia

Ravel - Valses nobles et sentimentales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Admin

This was a very good live performance Julia and I was really impressed by your ability to visualize the difficult 8 waltzes. For who did you study the suite before the performance? Or is it the result your own instinct? In either case, I believe that they represent a very authentic version of how Ravel wanted them to be performed on the piano. And I do prefer the piano version before the orchestrated versions.

I added some text on the site which is half copied from other resources.

Ravel published the suite of eight Valses nobles et sentimentales in 1911. That Ravel wanted to tie up with Schubert is clear. As he said himself:
"The title sufficiently indicates my intention to compose a succession of waltzes, after Schubert's example."

The next year an orchestrated version of the Valses was published, the composer indicating that he wanted to create a clearer orchestral sound than had been the case for the preceding Gaspard de la nuit. The orchestrated ballet version of the Valses Nobles et Sentimentales was named Adélaïde ou le langage des fleurs (Adelaide: The Language of Flowers) by Ravel.

The movements are as follows:

- Modéré
- Assez lent
- Modéré
- Assez animé
- Presque lent
- Vif
- Moins vif
- Epilogue: lent

Perhaps interesting to know is that though the suite is highly regarded today, it was booed at its first public performance.

The recording is up on the site!

Post subject: Ravel: Valses nobles et sentimentales
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 pm 

Thank you for the nice compliments, Robert. :D
I studied this with my teacher Jean-Francois Antonioli, who knows incredibly well that music... You are right, it is quite a difficult piece, especially as for puls conception in so many places.
Actually this was in my concert diploma recital in 2005. I saw, you wrote 2007... so I see, I will have to post also something new once... :wink: Just give me some time, all is still on Minidisc.

Quote:
And I do prefer the piano version before the orchestrated versions.

I`m happy you say this, because that´s the only version we can play! :lol:
As for me, I like a lot the orchestral version and feel always inspired by the wonderful orchestration of that piece, impossible to reproduce it as perfect at the piano. Call it crazy, but I even notated all the orchestral instruments in my score.

Thanks for adding that interesting text and putting it up so quickly.

Greetings
Julia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quickly? I thought I was really slow :).

I have changed to 2005. I was guessing so sorry about that.

I am trying to dig down a bit into Ravel myself these days but my progress is slow as always. Having too much else to do is a bad excuse and even if that it true, it is all a matter of priority. But I read and listen more to Ravel than I play so I believe I am getting closer to an understanding for his music and his complex personality. You see to be many steps ahead and writing down the orchestra...that is more than most pianist would do but I am certain it is the right thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:08 pm 

Quote:
But I read and listen more to Ravel than I play so I believe I am getting closer to an understanding for his music and his complex personality.

I heard your Prélude of the Tombeau de Couperin: I think you did really a good job with this, especially in the first half of the piece. I liked a lot your beautiful and clear sound quality. :)

:?: Could you please check the Link to the download of the Valses nobles on the site, I `m not sure, it is really working. Sorry I could have seen this already last time... Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

:oops:
Sorry, my mistake. Now it works. My playing is nothing compared to yours but thanks for the kind words ;).