Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Organ Donation
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Tonight's handywork - three more one-pagers from the Bach Orgelbüchlein. The BWV643 is a re-recording (at last.. sort of satisfied with it).

Bach - BWV 619 - Orgelbüchlein - Christe, du Lamm Gottes
Bach - BWV 626 - Orgelbüchlein - Jesus, unser Heiland, der den Tod überwand
Bach - BWV 643 - Orgelbüchlein - Alle Menschen müssen sterben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:13 am 

Orgelbüchlein - next cycle work you are well on the final straight!

I like them all, also from the darker registration. The "Alle Menschen müssen sterben" sounds not just resignative from the composition to me (what one could think according the title, translated like "all people must die"). Instead more happy - the death was nothing one has to fear for in Bach's religion.

I know I tell always the same, but the Orgelbüchlein pieces have MUCH reference to the underlying lyrics of the songs. It is not too bad to indeed sing along the piece in order to get a feeling for that, just my opinion. When Bach wrote fermatas in the end of a line, just at the place one breaths, one really should breath with the playing too (articulate). We discussed that already, and you have other opinion, but especially "Jesu unser Heiland" would sound better if not played without breathing in a row. Nethertheless, it sounds better as my take to me - that was the first organ piece I recorded and after listening I feel deep need to rerecord (I rushed in places), whereas you have strong feel for rhythm and momentum.

The "Christe, du Lamm Gottes" piece is not just the difficult one, but I could swear you recorded it just from sightreading without longer practise. There are some spots which are a bit uncertain to me.

Beside that little niggling it's all in all very well - what for a diligent musician you are on organ and piano!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback !

You could be right about the delineation of singing phrases. Although when I discussed this with my teacher, he said that these fermatas should not be played as such. I'll take that up with him again as it is an important interpretation decision.

Your 'Jesu' sounded a bit breathless when I re-listened to it yesterday, although technically more perfect than my more relaxed version.

The "Lamm Gottes" could indeed do with a bit more practice, I only took this one up 2 weeks ago. A deceptive little piece, I'll probably re-record it.