Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Admin

rsmullyan wrote:
I am sorry, but I must respectfully disagree on this point. Who of us here have not done equally bad things at some stages of our lives? Although I am not Christion,I believe in forgivenes of sins. I am impressed by the words "Let him without sin cast the first stone" as well as"Judge not, lest ye be judged". By this I do not mean that one should not judge the ACT --of corse one should, but we should take into account human weaknesses. I am sorry to sound so damed preachy, but PLEASE be a little more charitable! I found his plea for friendship quite moving, and I,for one , offer my friendship, although I can never condone his behavior.

It is rather hard to argue with this.

All the same, we just do not want spammers and scammers on this site (which is based on trust and honesty), however sorry they say they are. Anybody wanting to maintain a relationship, let us know and we can give you his email address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:39 am 

techneut wrote:
rsmullyan wrote:
I am sorry, but I must respectfully disagree on this point. Who of us here have not done equally bad things at some stages of our lives? Although I am not Christion,I believe in forgivenes of sins. I am impressed by the words "Let him without sin cast the first stone" as well as"Judge not, lest ye be judged". By this I do not mean that one should not judge the ACT --of corse one should, but we should take into account human weaknesses. I am sorry to sound so damed preachy, but PLEASE be a little more charitable! I found his plea for friendship quite moving, and I,for one , offer my friendship, although I can never condone his behavior.

It is rather hard to argue with this.

All the same, we just do not want spammers and scammers on this site (which is based on trust and honesty), however sorry they say they are. Anybody wanting to maintain a relationship, let us know and we can give you his email address.

I never meant that we should have him back on the site; I don't belioeve we should. All I meant is that our attitude towards him should be friendly and sympathetic with his obvious weakness, without in the least excusing the act itself.
Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:52 am 
Site Admin

rsmullyan wrote:
I never meant that we should have him back on the site; I don't belioeve we should. All I meant is that our attitude towards him should be friendly and sympathetic with his obvious weakness, without in the least excusing the act itself.
Raymond

I do understand what you mean and we have all sinned. Of course. My problem is that he jeopardize Piano Society in his action and I have historically been locked out from 3 co-location accounts and the Swedish Police grabbed my server once so I am really sick and tired of such problems. This could potentially be next problem and therefore, I had to make a statement. Of course, the Police thing was really just an accident from their side as our server happened to be located in the same co-location as Pirate Bay and the police just raided everything. The other lockouts were just a proof that web location and co-locations do not stick to their part of the agreement as when I really use all bandwidth they guarantee me, they just locked me out without even notifying me first. They are all a bunch of liars and perhaps I should create a web site to hang them out ;).

Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for Setrak too. It really seems like he did not understand the extent of what he was doing and why all hard working pianists would rack down on it with power once revealed. Perhaps things are partly true. Perhaps a lot is true about him except for the world class skills on the piano. He might be a good amateur like the rest of us. Therefore, I have removed the big NEWS sign from the first page. I have had enough with this now and would like to go back to normal service and spend my energy on something more creative. Perhaps play the piano? :)

Interestingly enough, someone launched a Denial-of-Service attack towards us this afternoon and got the MySQL-server to freak out. I nearly could not fix it as the server was extremely loaded and it took me 5-10 minutes to write a single command which I knew would at least stop it. One cannot help to make the connection to Setrak but probably, this is just a coincidence. If not, it is really serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Anyway, I kind of feel sorry for Setrak too. It really seems like he did not understand the extent of what he was doing and why all hard working pianists would rack down on it with power once revealed.

In that case he would not have cracked up like he did. I think he is fully aware of what he is doing, given the professional way he tags the recordings and the zeal with which he proliferated his bio and recordings all over the Internet. He seems to me like a technically proficientl fraud (though without the intelligence to back it up). And his stories sound like those of the Nigerian spam masters. Possibly he's laughing behind our back now. I may be all wrong though, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. As you say we may as well put this behind us now and move on.

BTW I thought that news item was rather good :wink: Did not realize he'd ripped Horovitz recordings as well. The guy has guts, you have to hand him that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:31 pm 

Sorry to stir the soup again, but IMHO the guy perfectly knew what he was doing. To add ID tags on other artists MP3s with "Copyright Setrak, blablabla" is enough for me.

I agree one should not judge, but on the other hand if one sees a crime going on and doesn't react, one can also be accused of criminal negligence.

So let's not be more catholic than the Pope, right? ;)

Back to the normal TV programmation. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Cydonia wrote:
So let's not be more catholic than the Pope, right? ;)

Is the pope catholic ??? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:49 pm 

Quote:
Is the pope catholic ??? :shock:

He used to be, when he was Polish :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Kschyschtoff wrote:
He used to be, when he was Polish :P

Those were the days :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:18 pm 

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:42 pm 

Quote:
Those were the days :lol: :P

Yep, it was really strange time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am 

Chaotica wrote:
May I ask who "MAH" is?

From the description, I would have to assume Marc-André Hamelin.

This whole story is really very amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
Chaotica wrote:
May I ask who "MAH" is?

From the description, I would have to assume Marc-André Hamelin.

This whole story is really very amazing.

I forgot to reply but yes, it is Hamelin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Nina wrote:
Dear Chris!

I haven't visited the forum in awhile and I'm quite shocked. Yet, I do hope this is some very exceptionary case. Just sending some love to you and the forum :D

I seem to have miseed this message. Thanks for your kind wishes !

Yes we should hope this is exceptional. However it is the second time within a year that we have
to expose fake recordings. I guess these things are bound to happen as there are always people looking for an easy clainm to fame. I'm sure it will not be the last time and we should always be critical when such a flood of world class recordings comes in for free.

Post subject: Re: Setrak Setrakian - Identified recordings
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:07 am 

the whole story long, I couldn't forget a comment by techneut, speaking about the Polonaise-Fantasie: "Actually I was working on this same piece for recording a while ago, but sort of left it when Setrak submitted his recording." I think this is the saddest part of the story.
ciao, Mr Duffy

Post subject: Re: Setrak Setrakian - Identified recordings
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Duffy wrote:
the whole story long, I couldn't forget a comment by techneut, speaking about the Polonaise-Fantasie: "Actually I was working on this same piece for recording a while ago, but sort of left it when Setrak submitted his recording." I think this is the saddest part of the story.

Ah no, I can always pick that up again. Though now we have Sandro's excellent recording and there is no need to fill that gap anymore.
What annoys me most is the considerable work I spent on creating the page for the Petrouchka Mouvements. I was really quite pleased with that but now nobody gets to see it anymore.....