Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Setrak Setrakian - Identified recordings
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:21 am 
Site Admin

Dear Piano Society members,

As you know, the truth about some of Setrak's recordings has been uncovered, and I encourage you all to attempt to identify more of "his" recordings. We must take this very seriously, as submitting faked recordings violates our Terms And Conditions and may even be a criminal offense. Also, many large and small music labels have been tricked, and I think it is our duty to narrow down this fake. I will personally contact other sites to warn them about this.

While I must take down all links on the actual site, I will leave all topics with music he has uploaded in the Audition Room so you can still download them from there. If possible, post a comparison of wave forms, like Chaotica did, as that is sufficient legal proof.

I will also write an article and post it on the site with more details.

So far, I know about the following recordings:
- Prokofiev - Toccata Op.11 - Martha Argerich
- Prokofiev recording op.82 (sonata) - Martha Argerich.
- Warsaw Concerto - Copy of a midi file by Eric Halstead ((c) Eric Halstead, so it's legally copyrighted).
- Shostakovich Piano Trio - Recording on Erato by Yablonsky, Berezovsky, and Repin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:49 am 

Is there any way to listen to fake recordings? All of them are deleted from the server...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:02 am 

I am shocked!

This kind of fake I find even more unserious than presenting midi files as "real" played pieces. Because the midi files need at least own work to make them, but presenting pieces playes by others as own achievement is scam, also from the legal action side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:08 am 
Site Admin

For further understanding, have a look at the CD reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... tthecl-20/

and note the similarities in style, syntax, and spelling of these 5-star reviews. Also note the number of total reviews of each of these persons ... Some dedicated fans indeed :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:32 am 

I'd like to know who "Joseph Tohme" is. He is among the reviewers on Amazon and has created setrakian.net (if he exists, of course). And is the existance of Setrak Antoine Setrakian himself confirmed? I mean this name is just to funny to be real, after all. On the other hand, "Setrak Setrakian" hits 10.200 times with Google. This is a bit too much for a fake name.

Quote:
Is there any way to listen to fake recordings? All of them are deleted from the server...

No, the're still up. The pianist page of Setrakian is gone, but you can still browse the forum and find the links.

But I think it might useful if you, Robert or Chris, compiled a list with all the recordings submitted by S. and posted it here or anywhere on the site. That would make it easier for people to find more fakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:46 am 

Maybe you, Mr. Robert, should ditch all the mp3s and require video files as the standard :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:
I'd like to know who "Joseph Tohme" is. He is among the reviewers on Amazon and has created setrakian.net (if he exists, of course).

Yes now that you mention it !
My guess is all these reviews are written by our man himself as the style and spelling is exactly like his postings on this forum.

Chaotica wrote:
And is the existance of Setrak Antoine Setrakian himself confirmed? I mean this name is just to funny to be real, after all. On the other hand, "Setrak Setrakian" hits 10.200 times with Google. This is a bit too much for a fake name.

Well these hits are largely all the same, he has posted his stuff and his bio all over the web. I think the name is a quite common Armenian name. But on the web we can only verify a man's existence by what he posts. There is actually one video of him on YouTube, composing at the piano. Pretty boring and does not prove he is a supervirtuoso.

Chaotica wrote:
But I think it might useful if you, Robert or Chris, compiled a list with all the recordings submitted by S. and posted it here or anywhere on the site. That would make it easier for people to find more fakes.

I'll tell you an undocumented feature of our site. In this link

http://server3.pianosociety.com/all.html

you find a nightly updated list of ALL recordings we have. You can double-click on the 'Pianist' header to sort on pianist, and then you have all recordings at a glance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:21 am 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Maybe you, Mr. Robert, should ditch all the mp3s and require video files as the standard :?:

But then I would have to get out of my pj's when I do my recording. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:53 am 

techneut wrote:
I'll tell you an undocumented feature of our site. In this link

http://server3.pianosociety.com/all.html

you find a nightly updated list of ALL recordings we have. You can double-click on the 'Pianist' header to sort on pianist, and then you have all recordings at a glance.

Oh, didn't know that. Thank you.

Btw, this "Ganatchian Music College" must be closely related to Mr S. I did a another Google search with the following results:

- ' "ganatchian music college" ' hits 1120 times
- ' "ganatchian music college" setrakian ' hits 1040 times
- ' "ganatchian music college" -setrakian' hits 6 times

:roll:

Post subject: Setrakian
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:57 am 

That is really incredible.... :x I´m quite shocked
I think, nearly all recordings are faked.

His compositions could be real. Indeed it was strange, that Setrak never played his own piano pieces...
I found some Setrakian-Videos in the internet, I found this quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Qa807iGA4

http://malaysia.video.yahoo.com/video/p ... =32895&b=0

http://www.flurl.com/entry/view/1930420 ... thout_word

Greetings
Julia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:
Oh, didn't know that. Thank you.

I was the only one knowing that... I'd all but forgotten I created that page. I'll add a link some day.

Chaotica wrote:
Btw, this "Ganatchian Music College" must be closely related to Mr S. I did a another Google search with the following results:

- ' "ganatchian music college" ' hits 1120 times
- ' "ganatchian music college" setrakian ' hits 1040 times
- ' "ganatchian music college" -setrakian' hits 6 times

Yeah I know, I greatly doubt it even exists. I tried to find out whether it exists or not but no luck
so far. Emailed the Dutch embassy in Beirut (only contact I could find) but they never replied.
The other two schools/colleges mentioned in his curriculum don't seem to exist either. Except that Yerevan conservatory, that does exist. But I could not find any evidence of his piano teacher there.
Also significant that S. is never mentioned anywhere as having been anyone's teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Actually! I am now pretty surprised when looking at these videos (on a train with Internet hicks so I can watch only 3 seconds by time). No doubt that guy can play. Not sure what to think anymore.

Last edited by robert on Wed May 02, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Setrakian
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Juliapiano wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Qa807iGA4

I watched that one too. Doesn't look as if he is writing notes to me... Interesting feedback there:

Quote:
zarmanazan (1 week ago) marked as spam
What is this man doing? The worst liar and charlatan "musician" on the web. An Embarassment!

Juliapiano wrote:
http://malaysia.video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&gid=107788&vid=32895&b=0

Yeah that guy can play indeed. But it could be anyone. From what I can see he does not look at all like Setrakian (compare with a young photo on his website to see my point). And for sure it is not Rach's 2nd sonata as advertised, but the middle movement from the Symphonic Dances.

Juliapiano wrote:
http://www.flurl.com/entry/view/1930420/Setrakian_Song_without_word

That is embarassing really. Awful instrument and awful piece of improvised music. It does not prove anything at all about his playing capabilities.

Post subject: Re: Setrakian
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:53 am 
Quote:
I watched that one too. Doesn't look as if he is writing notes to me... Interesting feedback there:

I got the very same impression! A single sheet of paper and so disconnected bits of music... seems as if he was improvising while acting some kind of refinement on the score.

Quote:
Yeah that guy can play indeed. But it could be anyone. From what I can see he does not look at all like Setrakian (compare with a young photo on his website to see my point). And for sure it is not Rach's 2nd sonata as advertised, but the middle movement from the Symphonic Dances.

Definitely not Rach 2nd Sonata indeed.

Quote:
That is embarassing really. Awful instrument and awful piece of improvised music. It does not prove anything at all about his playing capabilities.

Again, I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:58 am 

If the rabbit does not return, the hunter knows that the rabbit was scared off.

Basically, if Mr. Setrakian does not respond within 2 or so days and defends his position, we know that he is truly a fake. A genuine person would not run away scared.

Until then....the suspense builds! muahaha