Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Gershwin - 3 Preludes
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:30 am 

These recordings were made on a Kawai CA71 digital piano. Since there has been a discussion about "cheating" and stuff like that (esp. in the context of digital pianos) , I just add here, that these files have been recorded directly from the instrument and not been edited afterwards (except MP3ing).
The designations of the movements are:
I. Allegro ben ritmato e deciso
II. Andante con moto e poco rubato
III. Allegro ben ritmato e deciso

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi.
I enjoyed your preludes. Especially the No.3 which I love, but can't play well. You did great on that one as well as the other two. Just a couple things: the No. 2 - you played fine, but just for your information, I have a cd of Gershwin playing Gershwin and he plays this at a much faster tempo. I know, usually everybody plays this slow and I was surprised when I heard it his way.
No. 1 - In my opinion you used too much pedal in measures 16-22 and 25-28. Also the dynamics at measures 35-36 and 40-41 need to have more contrast. Overall, very nice!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quality recordings ! I found the first just a touch dry and would welcome a little more resonance (read: pedal) in places. The closing quart run is not optimally clean but much better than I can play it :lol: The slow one seems exactly the right tempo - it does not have to be Bernstein-like slow. Nice how you bring out these slouching middle voices. The third bounces along nicely and closes in proper excitement. Yes, very well done ! That digital does not sound bad either.

Mail Robert or me a bio and photo and we'll add you to the roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I have a cd of Gershwin playing Gershwin and he plays this at a much faster tempo.

techneut wrote:
... it does not have to be Bernstein-like slow.

While the third movement took a rather short time to record, to my mind the first one is a real candidate for a recording composed of several takes, because of all those jumps. So I took a slower and less "decisive" attempt to get it right in one take.
I have a recording with pianist Leon Bates (Naxos) who also takes the second movement very slow and with much rubato. But I think the piece lies somewhere in between the "Andante" and "con moto".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

They are up the site !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:02 am 
Man, Ive played these a thousand times...great pieces.
I think you tackle the hard parts well. In general I would up the tempo. I would disagree with more pedal though. keep it dry. (it's not that dry to begin with anyways) I like "Jazz" to have more of a dry sound if possible.
good work..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:06 pm 
I love listening to these pieces. The recording quality is excellent and the playing is very clean and rhythmically precise.

However, with that said, I think you should spend time now developing expression in these pieces. I think neither can these pieces be described simply as jazz, nor that all jazz should be played "dry," ie, with minimal pedal. The first steps towards achieving a more expressive performance would be to pay more attention to the dynamic markings. Make your pianos softer and your fortes louder.

Also, something that has been mentioned a couple of times already and would add a lot to the performance would be to play the faster pieces closer to the suggested tempos. I have been working on the first of these three preludes recently, so I know that you are playing it at approximately 60-70% the suggested tempo, and it loses the vigor that Gershwin obviously intended the piece to be played with.

But, like I said, you play the preludes very cleanly and you obviously have control. Just take them to the next level. Try listening to some recordings if you need some inspiration.

Thank you for posting these, I really enjoyed listening to them.

-joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:34 pm 

Many thanks for your comments. I agree with you on the tempo of the first piece, it is clearly too slow and I had also made another recording with a faster tempo (and some more blunders), so I had to decide and I chose the slower one with less blunders. As for the rhythmic expression, I almost tend to think that with a faster tempo you automatically do that much better (you're just getting more "into" it somehow). I might give it another try (if "updates" of records are allowed here), but for the moment I'm done with these pieces. The tempo of the third one is almost optimal to me, but the "ben ritmato" might also be improved here.