Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mozart Piano Quartet No.1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:10 pm 

This is a recording of Mozart's Piano Quartets made using a Music Minus One CD. I made this recording a while ago, and am posting it now that Robert has learned that this type of derived recording is ok from a copyright standpoint. I have a whole collection of MMO CD's and while they're no substitute for a live ensemble they're very useful if none of your friends play strings. The only difficulty is handling the entrances without the benefit of any cues. I did my best to keep things in synch but there are a few ragged edges. I was also experimenting with my Camcorder and included a video version of the Rondo from the first quartet.

Mozart - K.478, Piano Quartet in G minor, I. Allegro
Mozart - K.478, Piano Quartet in G minor, II. Andante
Mozart - K.478, Piano Quartet in G minor, III. Rondo
Mozart - K.478, Piano Quartet in G minor, III. Rondo (VIDEO)

Mozart - K.493, Piano Quartet in E-flat major, I. Allegro
Mozart - K.493, Piano Quartet in E-flat major, II. Larghetto
Mozart - K.493, Piano Quartet in E-flat major, III. Allegretto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:51 am 
Site Admin

I watched your video. Very nice. I've used a music minus one cd for a Chopin concerto and understand how tricky it can be. Plus, I can't stand it when my piano is not in tune with the recording. Your piano sounded fine, as did all your entrances. Was this sound just from your camcorder?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:22 am 

Bravo!. I never heard this before, but I like it. You did a good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:06 am 

Thanks.

The wmv video was made simply by putting a Sony camcorder on a tripod next to the piano and pushing the record button. The sound came off better than I thought it would.

The piano is a Yamaha Grantouch - a hybrid piano with a true Yamaha Grand action - real whippens & hammers - but with sound produced digitally somehow from sensors. It has a stereo out jack that goes right into the computer so there's no ambient noice on the MP3 recordings - which sound-wise could almost be passed off as if made in a studio. It's a great setup. And of course the piano is always in tune.

FYI - regarding the tuning issue w MMO: My main piano is a Steinway-B and for playing w MMO I purchased a "SuperScope" CD player from the MMO website. You can tune it up or down - and even change the playback tempo. It's not cheap but if you use MMO a lot it's nice to have.

Regards,

Tom P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Oh, yes. I've heard of that Superscope and see ads for it in my magazines. Looks like it would a fun 'toy'. Maybe I'll get one, but then I'm sure my family will never see me again in the kitchen, as I would never leave the piano and they'd have to make their own dinners (for a change).

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Very very good Tom and I what I am most impressed of is how you are able to time the long sequences of piano only and then get back exactly in timing. Must have taken a long time to prepare!

I have heard (and seen) these recording before but had to turn them down last time as Erik told us that there is a copyright problem with the minus-one CD. But, from another source who I trust, I heard that as long it is for personal use, this is not a problem. And all recordings distributed from the site is for personal use only regardless that they are distributed from Piano Society. It would be a problem if you distribute the minus-one music only but as Tom fill the piano in, they cannot be used for playing in your home as minus-one.

Anyway, the Mozart piano quartets recordings you have submitted is in my opinion of extremely high quality as all other submissions you make. And not a single wrong note. How do you do it? :)

The recordings are up on the site.