Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin, Prelude
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The prelude from Le Tombeau de Couperin. God knows I've been fighting hard with this one. Too tired to write anything interesting ;). Hope you can at least party enjoy my desperate attempt master this difficult prelude.

Le Tombeau de Couperin- I. Prelude

Post subject: Re: Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin, Prelude
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:59 pm 

robert wrote:
The prelude from Le Tombeau de Couperin. God knows I've been fighting hard with this one. Too tired to write anything interesting ;). Hope you can at least party enjoy my desperate attempt master this difficult prelude.

Robert, why so apologetic? I liked it very much!
Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Robert, that sounded so nice to me. I have never played it, and until recently had not heard it before (I think it was on one of the games) but it is a charming piece, and you played it with much spirit and grace. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and listened right before going to bed, so now I think I will have pleasant dreams.
btw - the sound quality is excellent. Just like listening to a cd.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:30 pm 
Yes Robert, I like this piece very, you have romantic human touch on the piano,
It's professional recording, I must congratulate you, this is first time I listen to your recording.

Post subject: Re: Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin, Prelude
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:02 am 
Site Admin

rsmullyan wrote:
robert wrote:

Robert, why so apologetic? I liked it very much!
Raymond

Thank you very much. Well, I know how many wrong notes there are, hesitations and drop of tempo but when I listen back to it this morning. I actually enjoy it too ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:05 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Robert, that sounded so nice to me. I have never played it, and until recently had not heard it before (I think it was on one of the games) but it is a charming piece, and you played it with much spirit and grace. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and listened right before going to bed, so now I think I will have pleasant dreams.
btw - the sound quality is excellent. Just like listening to a cd.

Thank you Mon. It is indeed a charming piece as all the Le Tombeau are. They are dedications to friends to Ravel who all died in the first world war and he seems to have happy memories of them all.

CD quality? :). Listen again in headphones and you will hear a pretty loud noise which I was unable to filter. Vinyl quality from the 60:th perhaps ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Setrak wrote:
Yes Robert, I like this piece very, you have romantic human touch on the piano,
It's professional recording, I must congratulate you, this is first time I listen to your recording.

Thank you Setrak and I tried to catch the spirit I believe Ravel had in mind when he composed this charming prelude. It is more difficult than it sounds and really unrewarding from a virtuoso perspective. Ravel did not care much that it should fit the hands but put music in the first room and he has all my respect for that. But it gets so much more difficult to play and I would not been able to manage it without my teacher (who studied in the conservatory in Paris and have learnt and played all Ravel's piano compositions).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Yes this piece is quite a difficult thing to master which I know from bitter experience. You are very well in the spirit and create a nice tone and atmosphere. Indeed you drop the tempo quite drastically in the development section, and do not seem to get back to the original tempo. Also I believe the LH should play legato from bar 14 onwards. I missed the long crescendo leading up to the final climax, and then, to make up for that, you play a crescendo leading up to that final low E, whereas a diminuendo is marked there ! Some small slips and inaudible notes which I guess you know about. But these are minor niggles, this is quite an achievement which you need not be modest about.

Post subject: Ravel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:23 pm 

Congratulations! Quite an accomplishment! You are too critical of yourself. I've never played this prelude before, but it is beautiful. It also sounds quite demanding to me. The recording sounds professional to me. Keep up the good work!