Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: chopin etude op10/4 super slow vs fast
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:11 pm 

Hi guys,

You have heard the professional version of this etude, which is quicker, but have a listen to my amateur version of this(fast version). I also provided a "super slow version", just for those audience who may not able to hear all the fast notes I played in the"fast version".

Of course, I did not make enough mistakes, as once Arthur Rubeinsten said to others...

I hope you like my interpretation...play with FIRE>>>>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:20 pm 

whoa, this etude sounds different when played at a slow tempo. It's like the scenes from the movie "Matrix" when the action slowed down so that the details come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Well that takes some guts to submit this etude so soon after kjarschka's stunning performance. But I do not quite see the point of it. The fast version, while not even being up tempo, is in places merely an approximation of the truth, and the slow version is only marginally cleaner. Neither of them is fit for the site if I may be honest. I do appreciate your determination and hard work, but there is a long way to go here. I do wonder why you always seem to aim for the most difficult pieces...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:16 am 

techneut wrote:
I do wonder why you always seem to aim for the most difficult pieces...

The audience gives a longer standing ovation when the piece is pulled off. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:56 pm 

techneut wrote:
Well that takes some guts to submit this etude so soon after kjarschka's stunning performance. But I do not quite see the point of it. The fast version, while not even being up tempo, is in places merely an approximation of the truth, and the slow version is only marginally cleaner. Neither of them is fit for the site if I may be honest. I do appreciate your determination and hard work, but there is a long way to go here. I do wonder why you always seem to aim for the most difficult pieces...

so i have some guts...haaa. I always choose what you called "the hard pieces". For me, its not that hard---technically speaking. But intepretation is hard indeed. No one seems to get a better intepretation these days even the professionals..
With "easy" pieces---I lost motivation......

Well, I know Chiara, if you are comparing me against world class pianist, who does more work to it. Of course I am out. I thought this site gathering both amateur and "professionals".

There are some other world class pianist played much slower. 2.15 by female Turkish pianist, so as Australian pianist..2.12. So as Matha Goldstein(2.17) on the site.

My tempo mark achieved 85%-90% of presto.(please physically check with metronome :lol: ) I would said its more reasonable rather than what you called "The fast version, while not even being up tempo, is in places merely an approximation of the truth,".

Obviously your view is not quite as clean as I always think of"
I just want to see what feed back I get from people.

Thanks for your determination. I have found the truth of piano society. By the way. I listen again. I loved it....nothing wrong with my playing perhaps its your taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:21 pm 

The fast version, while not even being up tempo,

Just for you Chris. Last night with slight change in my training and muscle coorodination. I managed to do 2 m12, and 2.13;2m13, three times in a row. But I am not happy with the recording, since there are more slips. I checked with metrnome, its around 165. So in order to do whats marked on the book by Chopin-176. We really should be doing around 2m mark-2.05.. I still think, Chopins piano was much lighter, I am sure he could not play the same speed on the modern piano. therefore, a slight tempo ajustement is allowed......Any one there agree with this???

And these days, there are more pianist around , therefroe, the competition is more ferious in order to make an decent living, therefore playing faster means better(technically) and by passing what Chopin really wants.

Give me two weeks to allow my muscle/coordination properly developed. And I will come up with

176. with no slips humanly possible. just for time trials. and not posting for site.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:47 am 

I agree with Chris, that it takes much guts to go for such "hot iron" pieces like that etude.
Considering the difficulty you did pretty well I think. Giving it enough time to grow you will finally have something really great - but it needs further patience and dedication.
But people normally appreciate if something is played with ease, and it sounds partly not too evenly and fluid. Also the slower version, is only slower but not much better concerning this. I could imagine that practising with half speed or so, but focus on the notes, evenly in time and sound, will work wonder, and I look foward for your finally result if you do so a longer time.

Furthermore, I cannot understand your total focus on how fast Mr. or Missis soundso played that etude. That's absolutely don't care for me, digging for the beauty of a piece, that's what count so much more. Let others play there tempi, find the tempo you feel the best yourself. Also, that you present versions, not only from this piece, also from others, in different tempi so that others should choose... Can't see the point in that. I personally would like to listen to a final version you like YOURSELF the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:31 am 
Site Admin

The tempo did not bother me, even though I mentioned it was not quite up tempo. When played correctly and relaxed, there is no problem being a bit slower. What bothered me was the sloppy playing. The LH is generally pretty accurate but the RH makes a right jolly mess of it in places. Nothing wrong with the odd slip in a fiendish work like this, but entire inconsistent passages are no good. This is not, I think, a matter of my personal taste.

But as Olaf says, you are certainly on the way, and will eventually get the measure of this etude. Just, please, do try and hear your own mistakes. That is the first requirement for becoming a better pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:00 pm 

thank you Guys......I am on a new assault mode when my finished my final version. I have had a good feed back from Chiara. Can not go any better can not I . My slow training is working very well. I WILL fix up some of my sloppy mistakes as pointed by Chris.

Thanks again for your patience. :lol:

Ohh, I forgot to add. To Olaf, yes, I am digging out it beauty bar by bar. And I will come up with my OWN tempo.....stay tune....