Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Germany
The obligatory mazurka submission. :wink:

Don't expect any great or revolutionary music. These are (mostly) very tiny and conventional pieces by a composer, who isn't that famous for his piano oeuvre. But I found them quite accessible, so I decided to record them. According to the two Könemann books with the complete piano works of Glinka (which costed me 3.90 € :lol: ), these should be all mazurkas by this composer.

Please don't ask me for a biography because I don't know if I can afford the time. It already costs me quite a lot of time to do such things in German, and hence it must even be worse in English. Okay, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Argh, I always do it in the wrong order. :oops:


Mazurka in G major (1828)
Mazurka in A flat major (1834)
Mazurka in F major (1834)
Mazurka in F major (1835)
Mazurka in C minor (1843)
Mazurka in C major (1852)

_________________
Check my profile


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Obamanation, unfortunately...
Too bad I am at school now. I will have to wait until I am back at home near a computer with speakers. Glinka is among many other not-so-famous Russian composers. You just have to thank Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky for stealing the fame. :lol: :wink:

_________________
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:39 pm 
> Don't expect any great or revolutionary music.

I've heard only 3 of them.
No, it is not. But why do not play it (and as well as you done)?
Glinka.....I remember a russian film on this composer. He meets Liszt,
and who is Liszt in this film? Sviatoslav Richter (you can see this in the film "Richter, the enigma")

All best,
Sandro.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:56 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9479
Location: Netherlands
Yes, unpretentious repertoire, I don't think Glinka wrote anything of lasting value for the piano. But it sounds nice and you certainly make the best of it. It will be interesting to have Glinka on the site, I am sure many people wil appreciate PS being a source of music that is hard to find elsewhere.

Of course by introducing a new composer you must now provide the bio... :lol: But do it in German if you prefer, I can translate it.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Germany
Sandro Bisotti wrote:
> Don't expect any great or revolutionary music.

I've heard only 3 of them.
No, it is not. But why do not play it (and as well as you done)?
Glinka.....I remember a russian film on this composer. He meets Liszt,
and who is Liszt in this film? Sviatoslav Richter (you can see this in the film "Richter, the enigma")

I've heard about this movie, but never watched it. Do you remember the its title?

techneut wrote:
Yes, unpretentious repertoire, I don't think Glinka wrote anything of lasting value for the piano.

Hmm, but these six pieces aren't entirely representative. There are also some longer pieces with surprisingly complex and unusual harmonics. I'm going to have a closer look at these soon.

techneut wrote:
Of course by introducing a new composer you must now provide the bio... Laughing But do it in German if you prefer, I can translate it.

Okay, okay, give me some time, I'll do it. You seem to do quite well with languages (sometimes, I even need a dictionary to understand your postings :lol: ), but I think it'll be easier if I do it in English. One of the kind native speakers here will correct my mistakes, I hope.

_________________
Check my profile


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:21 pm 
I've heard about this movie, but never watched it. Do you remember the its title?

"Richter: the enigma" . It's a film (very fine and interesting , not only
for the music played by Richter) of Bruno Monsaingeon, the same author of all that films
about Glenn Gould.

All best,
Sandro


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Germany
No, I meant the movie on Glinka. But it isn't that important, either.

_________________
Check my profile


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 pm 
Chaotica wrote:
No, I meant the movie on Glinka. But it isn't that important, either.


In some russian archive, if there is. Now I call my friend Putin :)

All best,
Sandro


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:17 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:27 pm
Posts: 1841
Location: Sweden
Any progress in the Biography writing or shall I make a copy/paste/rewrite-and-modify bio?

_________________
Pianist profile of Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Germany
robert wrote:
Any progress in the Biography writing or shall I make a copy/paste/rewrite-and-modify bio?

I hope I can do it this weekend.

_________________
Check my profile


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:12 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:27 pm
Posts: 1841
Location: Sweden
Chaotica wrote:
robert wrote:
Any progress in the Biography writing or shall I make a copy/paste/rewrite-and-modify bio?

I hope I can do it this weekend.

Great!

_________________
Pianist profile of Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:29 am
Posts: 692
Location: Germany
Chaotica wrote:
According to the two Könemann books with the complete piano works of Glinka (which costed me 3.90 € :lol: ), these should be all mazurkas by this composer.


I think it is solidly played, nothing to niggle from the performance side.

Must however be disappointing to dig for hidden treasures in the music, to dig and dig and not find something useful... So, 3,90 € seems 3,00 € too much paid considering the harmony structure and complexity of those pieces (no offense however!) :lol:

_________________
Olaf Schmidt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Germany
MindenBlues wrote:
Chaotica wrote:
According to the two Könemann books with the complete piano works of Glinka (which costed me 3.90 € :lol: ), these should be all mazurkas by this composer.


I think it is solidly played, nothing to niggle from the performance side.

Must however be disappointing to dig for hidden treasures in the music, to dig and dig and not find something useful... So, 3,90 € seems 3,00 € too much paid considering the harmony structure and complexity of those pieces (no offense however!) :lol:

I hope to find something worth the 3 € once I have had a closer look at the serious pieces. :wink:

Besides that, I also paid only 9.75 € for Balakirev's complete piano music and the sonata and some of his mazurkas are really excellent music. :)

_________________
Check my profile


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Glinka - Six Mazurkas
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:29 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9479
Location: Netherlands
Chaotica wrote:
Besides that, I also paid only 9.75 € for Balakirev's complete piano music and the sonata and some of his mazurkas are really excellent music. :)

Ha ! I have that 5-volume set too, and it cost me considerably more. Still cheap though, and great value for money. All of B's piano music is excellent, not just the sonata and some of the Mazurkas.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9479
Location: Netherlands
I was starting to put these up the site, and was wondering if they have any opus numbers ?

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group