Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Schumann: Romance in F#
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:43 pm 

Schumann: Romance in F#, Op. 28, No.2

A beautiful work, but more difficult for me to play than it should be. It takes a lot of control and concentration for a spastic chap like me to play it. When I listen, I always say things like, "That note was too loud." "Why didn't I take more time on that phrase?" "Geeze! Why'd I do that?" etc. ad infin.
Comments welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

That was so nice. I listened with my eyes close since I didn't have the score, and also have never played this. You played the beginning and end pretty sections very gently and controlled the tone well. I'm going to have to listen to this piece again, as I think it may already be working its way onto my 'list of pieces to play someday'.

btw. Your piano sounded fine to me today. I also had mine tuned within a two month time-frame. Made my piano tuner happy but at the same time he wondered why I had called him as it wasn't that bad off. Oh well.

And I know what you mean about listening back to yourself. It's worse though (for me anyway) when I listen to something I recorded a while ago. I usually hate it and wish I could re-record everything.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: Schumann: Romance in F#
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:42 pm 
[quote="John Robson"]Schumann: Romance in F#, Op. 28, No.2

Go John with the other two romances of this opus!

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Very romantic played and you have a soft tone that fits very well to the composition. You choose a tempo which is significantly slower than I am used to hear and it would be interesting to hear your idea about that. In this tempo, the similarities to Beethoven's first movement of Op.27 no.2 is getting more obvious.

Schumann composed his three romances of Op.28 in 1839. One year before he married Clara Wieck and even though these works bears no dedication, one cannot help believe that he had Clara in mind when he composed his romances. Clara's father was against the marriage at first as he considered Clara be too young and Robert's career too vague but at the time of composition of these three works, Clara and Robert had made there plan how to marry without his permission. Being not among Schumann's more famous works, the set of three romances should not be neglected and are typical works of the time by Robert.

The recording is up on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 am 
Site Admin

That is beautiful indeed ! A bit slow to my taste but not too much so, once you get into it. This piece is certainly much harder than in sounds, I guess partly because of the key signature and the wide intervals. The only thing to possibly nag about is that some notes seem to be inaudible in the first part. Also, I thought perhaps at this slow tempo, the exposition repeat should better be skipped. But that is debatable of course.
Your piano sounds great again too. Very well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:01 am 

Very beautiful, John! This is a wonderfully poetic piece of music and you serve it very well. To me, the tempo sounded just right, it is like a dream.

Post subject: Romance
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:47 am 

Robert, thanks so much for the information on the Romances. Very interesting.

I have never heard this Romance performed which is one reason I posted it. The tempo is marked Andante with a quarter note = 69 in my edition. That is what I tried to do, but perhaps it was bit slower. Also in my version there is no repeat of the exposition although it is written out. Did that make sense? What I mean is it was no repeat was written. As for inaudible notes...sorry 'bout dat. That's what is so difficult for me in this piece: trying to play it softly enough without having inaudible notes. I didn't quite succeed.

Post subject: Re: Romance
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
As for inaudible notes...sorry 'bout dat. That's what is so difficult for me in this piece: trying to play it softly enough without having inaudible notes. I didn't quite succeed.

Ah but you are definitely getting better. I am just extra alert on this because I suffer from the same problem. One or two occurrences per recording is nothing to worry about.