Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Prokofiev : Capulets and Montagues
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:34 pm 
But in your opinion (these is valid only for who do not know the story) were Capuleti and Montecchi friends ?
What the music tell us about: do they find theirselves in happy snacks and relaxed bridge games, or not? :oops:

All best,
Sandro

Prokofiev - Op.75 no.6, Ten Pieces on piano from Romeo and Juliet, The Montagues and Capulets

Post subject: Re: Prokofiev : Capulets and Montagues
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:58 am 
Site Admin

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
But in your opinion (these is valid only for who do not know the story) were Capuleti and Montecchi friends ?
What the music tell us about: do they find theirselves in happy snacks and relaxed bridge games, or not? :oops:

No idea but great playing :D. The recording is up on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:02 am 
> No idea but great playing

Too much kind Robert! This is a new my recording .
Let's tell I have remembered also some your considerations about the other Prokofiev
I've send (Romeo and Juliet before parting) and I tried to limit some "rubato" and "LH before RH"
and similar.
By myself I already realized this, and your words renforced my intentions.

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:12 am 

Another great playing! Montagues and Capulets is actually my favorite from this suite. I should start working, but there are too many interesting recordings around here :) (none from me, alas... soon I'll have more time to practice, I hope)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:01 am 
Site Admin

Sandro Bisotti wrote:

Don't be silly... everybody knows they played whist, not bridge :lol:

Very good performance of this difficult piece. I only wished for a little more ferocity and menace, didn't really hear the swords clashing and sparking as they should. But it may be valid to take a more relaxed view of the piece. There were some errors in the quiter middle section (which I think is harder than the outer sections) and that middle sectin seemed to drag a little in places. Interesting use of staccato here, I had not heard that before. The coda is very good. Great job, are you going to record more of the suite ?

Post subject: Romeo, Oh, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:55 am 

Very nicely done! This is the only part of this suite I've heard.

I have to learn about digital pianos. I saw some in a piano store this morning. The store wasn't open, but one of these days I'm going back out of curiousity. Is the "touch" on a digital the same as an acoustic piano? You do play with expression which I always thought was impossible on electronic pianos. I know nothing about them.

Post subject: Re: Romeo, Oh, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:01 pm 
[quote="John Robson"]Very nicely done! This is the only part of this suite I've heard.

> Is the "touch" on a digital the same as an acoustic piano?

I was diffident about digital pianos. The only model that make me change opinion
(and I'be bought, about 2000-2200 $) was this Kawai mp-9500.
The feeling hand-keyboard is really amazing (so similar to one real piano, there is a complete
mechanism), the sounds (if decently amplified) have a good (not amazing) quality.

> I know nothing about them.

The only way is to touch with your hands.
If in an appropriate space a grand real piano is another thing (you make the sounds, in a
digital it is already done ) and it's more enjoying, with no doubt.
But there are also good reasons to use a digital (the possibility to sound at low volume,
or with the headphones, the recording from line-out of the digital (without ambience interferences).
I've been playing it for two years, and I continue to think that the many limits of my
recordings are the limits of my playing technique and conception, and not of the instrument.

All best,
Sandro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:08 pm 
> Interesting use of staccato here,

It is to distinguish the upper note in timbre and not only in dynamics.

> Great job, are you going to record more of the suite ?

It is possible (for example "The joung Juliet"). Which are your favourites in this suite?

Thank you Chris!

All best,
Sandro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
It is possible (for example "The joung Juliet"). Which are your favourites in this suite?

I've no favourites, I love them all equally. Except perhaps Brother Laurentius, which I think is a bit boring (less so in the orchestral version). Prokofiev in religious mode does not seem to work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:28 pm 
Tobias wrote:
Another great playing! Montagues and Capulets is actually my favorite from this suite. I should start working, but there are too many interesting recordings around here :) (none from me, alas... soon I'll have more time to practice, I hope)

Hi Tobias! Preparing (at least) decent recordings for this site is not easy for we "amateurs".
The (welcome!) presence of many "pro" with their masterworks of pianism make our
"piano-work" more and more difficult, but stimulating. And responsible before public opinion :)
have you seen how many downloads?

All best,
Sandro