Bach Prelude and Fugue D major...

Feedback please!

Thanks again,
Hunter Underwood

Bach - BWV.850, P/F in D major from WTK I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:47 am 
Site Admin

I am currently agonizing over this pair as well, and I know how damed hard it is to get that prelude off. To play all the correct notes (as you mostly do) is hard enough, to make them smooth and even is very daunting. I think there were some very minor slips but otherwise you do very well. Ultimately it needs to be more flowing, and also a bit faster, I think. The arpeggio chords in the last bar sound a bit out of tempo to my ears.

The fugue is also solidly played. I always miss it when someone does not play any ornaments, but most of them are of doubtful authenticity (according to the Urtext) so I respect that. You must take care not to rush in these downward passages that are written on one stave only, it seems you press ahead slightly there. In bar 20, last beat, your RH seems to play a half-hearted c natural instead of c sharp. In bar 22, 3rd beat, the top H notes should be d-e, not d-d. Lastly in bar 26, 2nd beat, the middle notes on the RH should be g-a, not a-a.

Again these booming noises at the start and end. You may want to take care of that. But all ain all, a very commendable job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:19 am 

I think both prelude and fugue is played very well. I really heard here less evenly played versions of that prelude. 8)
Why should the prelude be played faster? Only because Richter and Gould played it in hyperspeed? I think the speed at which one can manage to come through more or less evenly through relaxed hands and also with enough capacity to listen to the left hand part is just the right tempo.
Also the fugue is played very well - I wish I could play the left hand 32th parts as well as you do! The only mistake what bothered me a bit was in bar 20 last beat RH (Chris mentioned it already). The other reading errors Chris mentioned I would not have heard on my own, to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:37 pm 
Yes, I did learn it with the ornaments, but decided that since I didn't like the way they sounded, and since they might not be Bach's to just ignore them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi again. Long time no see ;). As Chris already said, it was nothing against you personal but we like to keep the site an active community.

Both the prelude and fugue are well played and can go up on the site unless you wish to redo the wrong notes that Chris pointed out. Also, you can submit a biography directly in this topic if you like.

Welcome back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:04 am 
Site Admin

The recording is up on the site and I merged them to one track only.