Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - BWV 782, 2-part Invention in G minor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Another little submission in my plan to complete the 2-part inventions. The pretty unusual G minor which has certain passages where I feel one can draw parallels to early Schoenberg.

Bach BWV 782 - 2-part invention in G minor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

BIt on the slow side, but conscientiously played as always. Did you leave out the first LH G in bar 3 ?
Apart from that, nothing to niggle about except your inconsistent ornaments. The trillo uses the upper note, the mordant the lower note. Not that it matters so much, but it's something to pick on :lol: This recording allowed me to correct some reading mistakes I have always made. :D

Post subject: Bach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:34 pm 

Very well played, Robert. I have an edition edited by Busoni in which all of the ornamental figures are written out. Perhaps you also have the Busoni edited version for your ornaments are executed exactly as they are written in my edition. My edition also suggest that it be played "Quietly and expressive" which I think you also did. I enjoyed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for listening.

I also use a version with all ornaments written out as in the attached sheet and play them as in this score. The missing G in bar 3 is tied there so that is why I left it out but I am not sure if that is right really.

Happy to track a couple of misreadings there Chris :D.

What bothers me most when I listen back to it is the inconsistency in tempo. I start out too slow and catch up a bit later which is not good. I underestimated this invention in difficulty...I always do :?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:32 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
I also use a version with all ornaments written out as in the attached sheet and play them as in this score. The missing G in bar 3 is tied there so that is why I left it out but I am not sure if that is right really.

Ah, that explains everything I heard. Except the slow tempo :)
This looks rather different from the Urtext. A Czerny edition ?

robert wrote:
What bothers me most when I listen back to it is the inconsistency in tempo. I start out too slow and catch up a bit later which is not good. I underestimated this invention in difficulty...I always do :?.

Yes I thought it was not quite consistent, but was not sure so dod not comment on it (floows that is is probably not too bad :) You'd have less of this problem at a somewhat more lively tempo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Really hated the first recording I made so I spent 4 hours today making a new (I should stop make recordings late at nights and then just put them up without really thinking...) which is significantly different. Hope you like this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 am 

robert wrote:
Really hated the first recording I made so I spent 4 hours today making a new (I should stop make recordings late at nights and then just put them up without really thinking...) today which is significantly different. Hope you like that one.

I did NOT hate your first recording, but I like your second one even more. Reason foremost, because it sounds more lyrical, also more fluid and evenly.

Maybe a little suggestion for spots with trills - the trills stand out a bit dynamically wise in your case. It sounds more casual if the ornaments are less weighted compared to the context as the other way round. It's difficultier but worth the effort (but also only subjective opinion).

Good job!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:12 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
robert wrote:
Really hated the first recording I made so I spent 4 hours today making a new (I should stop make recordings late at nights and then just put them up without really thinking...) today which is significantly different. Hope you like that one.

I did NOT hate your first recording, but I like your second one even more. Reason foremost, because it sounds more lyrical, also more fluid and evenly.

Maybe a little suggestion for spots with trills - the trills stand out a bit dynamically wise in your case. It sounds more casual if the ornaments are less weighted compared to the context as the other way round. It's difficultier but worth the effort (but also only subjective opinion).

Good job!!!

Thanks and you are right about the trills. They shine right through and I know I do not like that with other pianists as a complete CD can be really tiresome with for example Angela Hewitt who continuously play them with too much power and focus. The casual approach is a lot better and I will try to keep that in mind and implement it further on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

The first version was not to be hated, but this is way better. Much more relaxed and fluent, in steady tempo and with nice dynamics. Indeed the trills sound a bit too prominent, as if they don't come quite naturally yet and you're straining to do them right. I expect this to get better as you progress in the cycle.
One thing that perked my ear is that in bar 18 you play an F natural instead of an F sharp. Apart from that, I think it's note perfect, and IMO the best Bach recording you made so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
The first version was not to be hated, but this is way better. Much more relaxed and fluent, in steady tempo and with nice dynamics. Indeed the trills sound a bit too prominent, as if they don't come quite naturally yet and you're straining to do them right. I expect this to get better as you progress in the cycle.
One thing that perked my ear is that in bar 18 you play an F natural instead of an F sharp. Apart from that, I think it's note perfect, and IMO the best Bach recording you made so far.

Ah, yes missed that F-sharp there...always something isn't?

Thanks for the compliment and I do find Bach difficult to play. Much more difficult than many other various composers. The reason is the contrapunct which I find very hard to memorize and I rely a lot on memory. Not sure what plan I have for the cycle once it is complete. I will re-record a lot of them as time goes by I think.