Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: WTC XV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:46 pm 

Bach - BWV 860 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.15 in G major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:21 pm 

The prelude is played fast and in the fugue I did not heard flaws (but did not play the fugue myself).
No prelude and fugue from WTC is really easy, so congratulations first for the achievement.

Some minor observations / subjective opinions however. For my taste, the prelude can be played that fast, but it could sound way calmer. In bar 3 RH something in the last three notes and bar 18 RH the 4rd last note sounds different according to my Urtext Peters score. You mastered the RH/LH parallel parts well, but on some places it could be more evenly.

Whether the fugue is played that extreme staccato for the 8th notes like you did is highly a matter of taste. It is not my taste, and I think, Bach did not group the notes by accident, it was intention. For instance, to articulate and phrase accordingly. It sounded a bit harsh to me too.
I liked your ending here, and I thanked God that Bach made some slurs so that you had no chance to play the remaining notes staccato too. :lol:
Just a single opinion, and technically seen (beside the personal taste) the execution of the prelude was convincing to me, and the fugue was very convincing to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The prelude is not to fast IMO, and could even go a little faster, but as Olaf mentions it is rather uneven in some places. Some moments of weak coordination and also some wrong notes I think (but I can't be bothered to look them up, they're only minor). The exhilarating fugue is rather underplayed here, I think it is too slow and I do not like the staccato approach either. It sounds a bit lackadaisical like this. To make its impact, it needs more evenness and weight, and a bit of pressure towards the grand finale. Both prelude and fugue are sort of showy items, and so they should sound.
But even so, this is very well done.

I have pasted the parts together (can't see what your problem is with cut and paste in Audacity) and for fun, added the usual reverb. In case you still wonder what reverb is for, listen to this one and see if you hear the difference !

Bach - BWV 860 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.15 in G major

Post subject: WTC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 pm 

Thanks, Olaf and Chris, for listening to my frustrated version of #15. I don't know if it's just a bad day or what, but I kept making silly errors. I got so frustrated that I just went ahead and posted it so I would stop fighting with it. The Fugue sounded angry to me, because I was. Stupid little errors!
However, as for the staccato effect, check out Schiff and Richter on this site: http://classic.chubrik.ru/Bach/ Thanks again, Chris, for recommending this site. It's great. But don't the versions of #15 by both Schiff and Richter sound staccato? Richter does have more slurs mixed in....Sorry. That was not explained very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

I does not sound frustrated, and the mistakes are only very minor. Don't undervalue your achievement !
Yeah could be others play staccato as well. I can't say I always like what Richter, Schiff, or Gould do.
We can put this one up if you want, the file is already uploaded. But it's bedtime and I will do the site update later.

Post subject: Re: WTC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:26 am 

John Robson wrote:
But don't the versions of #15 by both Schiff and Richter sound staccato?

Yes, but both combine that to a global melody line over the fugue theme and phrase it dynamically so beautiful. Their staccato is never intrusive, that's maybe the point.
Don't worry - no need to compare with those giants. Your take sounds well to me, and at the end what counts the most is how you like it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 am 
Site Admin

The reverb does help to fade out the harsh playing a bit and it is not bad in any way so I definitely think it can go up on the site unless you do not want it John? The harsh and staccato/detached playing is not always for bad but is more difficult to handle as you need to be very precise. Mr. Gould did it all the time and I (as well as many people) rank him as the best Bach interpretator ever.

Post subject: WTC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 pm 

Thanks, Robert. The reverb does seem to help some. However, I hope my playing is not too harsh. Feel free to post it, if you think it is worthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:54 am 
Site Admin

The recording is up!