Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Two Friedman transcriptions from Bach cantatas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:57 pm 
Two transcriptions of Ignaz Friedman from Bach Cantatas.
In the following days I'll send the scores.
The first from secular Cantata BWV 208, the aria "Schafe konnen sicher weiden".
The second from the choral of the Cantata BWV 140"Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme"

Sandro Bisotti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:00 pm 

Just listened to "Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme" - beautiful playing! I love the changing between homophonic and polyphonic passages in this one. It's a while since I last heard Busoni's transcription, but I couldn't notice any major differences in the Friedman (but maybe I didn't remember it correctly). Did you look at both? If so, what made you prefer this one over the Busoni?

Oh and btw, I have the same digital piano as you - I bought it to have something "portable" with me for holidays etc (here's a photo), but I soon realized it's more heavy than I thought and my girlfried hates it as she has to help me carry this 35+ kg monster all the time... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:30 pm 
Tobias wrote:
> Just listened to "Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme" - beautiful playing!

Too much kind.

> Did you look at both?

I've heard it (Busoni). I have not choosen between Busoni and Friedman. Simply, I
like the pianist and I was curious about his transcriptions (and compositions). There is,
also in the severe music of Bach, a shadow of jugendstil (or liberty, i you will), a particular
freshness in writing. Busoni was surely an immense pianist and composer, but I think other
pianists/composers (first Godowski, and Friedman, Grainger, Feinberg, Kempff and others)
made excellent works. For example, the not-virtuosistic Kempff transcriptions are very
plesureable, and it's wonderful music. For an amateur as me, many Busoni (and Godowski,
and Friedman so, for example his Brandemburg concertos) works are off-limits; but
there are also many approachable pages.

The two "Pogordze boys"....... Friedman and Hofmann, born in the same little polish town in
the same period. Curious.

>Oh and btw, I have the same digital piano as you

We must suggest to Robert and Chris to look for Kawai sponsoring... :) :)

> I bought it to have something "portable" with me for holidays
but I soon realized it's more heavy than I thought
> and my girlfried hates it as she has to help me carry this 35+ kg monster all the time... :)

:lol: :lol:

My wife also hate it (but it's because I rarely play with headphones), but all return OK when I begin to speak about a possible new grand-piano. To tell all the story, I have already invaded our home
with a mastodontic couple of spekers, and the grand piano could be too much....

All best,
Sandro

Post subject: Transcriptions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:36 pm 

I enjoyed listening to both of these. They seem to me like romanticized Bach. I don't play enough Bach. On the advice of a couple of Piano Society pianists, I have begun to play some Bach again. I'm hesitant to play Bach because the interpretation, phrasing, and tempo are so very subjective, and I have no teacher to guide me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:03 am 
Site Admin

Kawai sponsring, I have nothing against that! Any contacts? Sending an email to info@kawai.com will not do it ;).

I have put up these recordings but I must admit that my very little experience with the Bach Cantatas prevents from give any valuable critique. Also, I choosed to put them up as a Bach composition rather than a Friedman transcription. Not sure if that is right or wrong and perhaps I was just lazy :o.

The playing seems fine by me and as already mentioned the transcription are romantic Bach if that term exists. Anyway, very good job and it is great to add another category to our dear Bach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:48 am 
Site Admin

These arrangements are IMO not as skilful and sympathetic as Busoni's. Especially in the BWV 208 there are some decidedly clumsy harmonies, and Friedman's combining of the two themes in the BWV 140 seems a bit contrived (I know this is difficult to bring off in Busoni's transcription). Personally I do not care for romanticized Bach, and everything that others feel they need to 'add' to his music only diminishes it. Bit of a snotty purist attitude I suppose... And there are exceptions of course - I hugely admire Rachmaninov's transcription of the first violin Partita. Much better than anything by the more well-known Bach transcribers.

But your playing of them is masterful once again, and those who like this sort of stuff need to look no further. Nothing to niggle about except I find the rubato and right-before-left a bit too much in places.

Am still unsure whether pieces like this should be filed under Bach (which surely is easier) or under the transcriber (as we also did on some cases). This will continue to be confusing for people out there looking for Bach transcriptions. Not to mention where to file Liszt-Wagner or Horovitz-Bizet and god knows what other combinations we could get....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:48 am 
[quote="techneut"] Bit of a snotty purist attitude I suppose...

Absolutely coherent your playing and your ideas. Both respectable IMHO, and not because you are
the "boss" :)

> I hugely admire Rachmaninov's transcription of the first violin Partita. Much better than anything by the more well-known Bach transcribers.

Excellent transcription. But in my opinion many composers/pianist done good works, at a similar
level (Busoni, Friedman, Siloti, Feinberg, Godowski first). More simple but equally good are Kempff and Hess works. But Bach works well with every sauce : also Loussier Bach-jazz is excellent
IMHO.

> Am still unsure whether pieces like this should be filed under Bach (which surely is easier)

I agree more with this choice (and with Robert) , but as you and Robert make is good.

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Sandro Bisotti wrote:
Absolutely coherent your playing and your ideas. Both respectable IMHO, and not because you are the "boss" :)

I am not the boss, Robert is !