Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Richard Pohl - New recordings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 am 
Site Admin

Three splendid new recordings by our Czech star pianist Richard Pohl :

Chopin - Sonata No.3 Op.58
Mozart - Rondo in A major, KV 386 (with David Schmied - piano)
Mozart - Variations in F major "Salve tu domine", KV 398

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 am 

I listened to the Chopin Sonata and I think it could be played with even a bit more drive in some places, if possible, but I also found it very well played. Only the third movement could be even better particularly because it's technically a lot easier than the other ones. The rhythm in the very beginning isn't right and the poetic middle part should be a bit softer, but that's minor niggling by one of these inferior mortal amateurs, I guess... :wink:

By the way, the third movement of this sonata is among the most beaufitul of Chopin's creations, if you ask me. And not a typical Chopin theme, either.

Post subject: At the stage
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:17 pm 

Thanks a lot for your review. You are absolutely right about that imperfections in the third movement, anyway I see the first movement more like a retrospective and interior than hurry up.
And in fact, the question of technical difficulty doesn´t matter so much when you are on stage struggling with yourself. I was very excited, actually, it was my graduation at the Janacek Academy and I felt everything so emotionally...
If you really know the piece well, you can find on stage much more difficult to play well /or correctly, because I think that musically I did my best in the Largo/ in slow "so-called easier" passages.
Anyway, thank you much for your attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:55 am 
Site Admin

So far only listened to the Chopin sonata, I must say that I am very impressed by your understanding of this Sonata! It is very much interpretated to my likings of the romantic but also aristocratic and restrained Chopin. You hold back in the same way as I feel one should do and as Chopin probably did in his own playing. Technically, there is nothing to complain on but for a couple of minor mistakes which I believe is not the result of bad technique as I have seen and heard you play technically more difficult pieces.

I will listen to your Mozart recordings when I am concentrated and not have my kids running around like crazy around me. Looking forward to hear how you interpret Mozart really as I have a feeling Mozart can fit you well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:58 am 
Site Admin

The Mozarts are splendid as well and I have not much to add but for that I thank you for giving me and my family and wonder ful Mozart experience this sunday morning. Perfect way to start the day :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:13 pm 

Thank you so much, Robert for your nice words. I tried to do my best, altough Mozarts are slightly touched by my nervousity; it runs little much straightforward... However, that's been allways a part of our job. BTW - that's my own cadenza in the Rondo (funny, I did technial mistake only there; feeling more nervous for it was written in the liner notes it's mine).

Post subject: Chopin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:46 pm 

Chaotica wrote:
I listened to the Chopin Sonata and I think it could be played with even a bit more drive in some places, if possible, but I also found it very well played. Only the third movement could be even better particularly because it's technically a lot easier than the other ones. The rhythm in the very beginning isn't right and the poetic middle part should be a bit softer, but that's minor niggling by one of these inferior mortal amateurs, I guess... :wink:

By the way, the third movement of this sonata is among the most beaufitul of Chopin's creations, if you ask me. And not a typical Chopin theme, either.

I found the Chopin sonata absolutely beautiful from beginning to end.I only wish it had been better recorded.
Raymond